Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (sort of) maps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove from Aptos to San Francisco. Last time I was in my car was 7:55AM after parking. Came back at 8:42AM and saw this:

IMG_5385.JPG

Do we have any history of how big past map updates have been, and how soon after the tag date they were out for downloading?

I'm wondering if this sudden push to the fleet of "old" maps has anything to do with the radar whitelist tiles...

Lets see if after 3 years Nav still wants to take the long way home, wasn't it supposed to learn our commonly traveled routes?

Same here... we drive a road every day to get home. And by now, you'd think Nav would consider it a valid an preferred route rather than picking a huge circle coming back to where we are headed from the other direction. It's laughable. 2% extra battery to do that... sure.

I doubt a map update is going to fix this. Nav already knows there's a road there... it shows up on the little left hand nav window so it's in the database, always has been. But when actively navigating a destination that road is never picked even though it is the shortest route. Paved, perfectly good road.

My wife's theory is there is more traffic data collected on the big circle route and segments of it are green. Whereas our lesser traveled road does not have as much road traffic data collected so it shows "nothing" just roads (uncolored). So, Nav, naturally, thinks it is less viable route. It's as good a theory as any.

I updated to .114 yesterday morning. I went to do grocery shopping in the afternoon and when I returned to the car there was the navigation map updated pop up.

Any update is better than no update at all despite being a year old.

This is all updated map data for the Navigon system in the IC that actually maps the routes, not the Google maps (those tiles are very up to date usually). Hopefully they are improved a bit. Navteq (here in Chicago) provides those maps.

It's a convoluted industry I think since Nokia owns Navteq, but Navteq provides maps for Bing, Yahoo, Garmin, etc. Garmin owns Navigon now I think, thus our maps and routing still come from Navteq...

Excellent. So the first time I apparently got a map update, I never got the "maps updated" msg on the screen... I eventually had the service center look while I happened to be there for some other item.

Any thoughts as to if there are some circumstances that would prevent the notification form popping up
Well, I ended up getting them today as well. Interestingly, I didn't get the msg after the car had been on WiFi all night at home... nor after it was parked in the parking garage here at work for ~4hrs (3G connected), but rather after I was parked this afternoon at lunch for 45 minutes (also 3G).

Of course, the completion of INSTALLATION doesn't necessarily coincide with download... but my firewall doesn't seem to think it gulped down any 4GB files in the middle of last night...

I suspect the Tesla Nav app might honor government authority designations of things like arterial routes, so the difference is like Google Maps routing vs. Waze. Waze will take any shortcut including neighborhoods, alleys, and driveways (;)) if the route is faster. I think Waze is also hyper-sensitive to crowd-sourced traffic data, which is a riskier approach and requires lots of data access, but often yields big rewards. I doubt there will ever be an auto-maker nav system that will be as aggressive as Waze. Waze once directed me down a single-lane unpaved road that wasn't really a road (I think it was supposed to be a hiking trail now, partially used for some construction traffic), only to discover that after a couple of miles, the gate at the far end was locked. Had it worked, it would have saved me as much as an hour in avoiding San Diego rush how traffic.

Same here... we drive a road every day to get home. And by now, you'd think Nav would consider it a valid an preferred route rather than picking a huge circle coming back to where we are headed from the other direction. It's laughable. 2% extra battery to do that... sure.

I doubt a map update is going to fix this. Nav already knows there's a road there... it shows up on the little left hand nav window so it's in the database, always has been. But when actively navigating a destination that road is never picked even though it is the shortest route. Paved, perfectly good road.

My wife's theory is there is more traffic data collected on the big circle route and segments of it are green. Whereas our lesser traveled road does not have as much road traffic data collected so it shows "nothing" just roads (uncolored). So, Nav, naturally, thinks it is less viable route. It's as good a theory as any.

Reactions: Ulmo
Sorry, no updates yet for Australia or Japan.

It most definitely does prefer WiFi. It's huge, and they throttle it so it doesn't eat up all your bandwidth. If you start on WiFi at home, it may finish on cellular, which explains why some of you only see it once you are out away from WiFi. It can take over a week to complete in many cases, so be patient. You will eventually get it without WiFi, but it waits to see if you connect to WiFi for a period of days before it will fall back to cellular.

Do we have any history of how big past map updates have been, and how soon after the tag date they were out for downloading?

I'm wondering if this sudden push to the fleet of "old" maps has anything to do with the radar whitelist tiles...
I'm not sure if it's coincidence but my previous map updates have been in the Dec/Jan timeframe.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Sorry, no updates yet for Australia or Japan.

It most definitely does prefer WiFi. It's huge, and they throttle it so it doesn't eat up all your bandwidth. If you start on WiFi at home, it may finish on cellular, which explains why some of you only see it once you are out away from WiFi. It can take over a week to complete in many cases, so be patient. You will eventually get it without WiFi, but it waits to see if you connect to WiFi for a period of days before it will fall back to cellular.
Is there a way to check the map version from the CID? I didn't receive any notification, but I thought the maps looked more detailed when I was out this morning.

Is there a way to check the map version from the CID? I didn't receive any notification, but I thought the maps looked more detailed when I was out this morning.
No unfortunately you can't. Unless you have root the best you can do is ask via email to [email protected] to let you know if you have the latest. I've tried to get them to give me the date and version but they wouldn't. @Ingineer do you know the version ID for this update?

Edit: I found this post from Ingineer on the date.

I don't spend a lot of time in my new Wifi system management pages, but this morning just now while poking around I found what appears to be the map update download stats (and a way to continue tracking firmware upgrade download activity as well, under an old version of UniFi's Wifi AP management under Users: Your Tesla Car Wifi Name (mine is Mithrandir): History):

Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 11.36.43 AM.png

As you can see, there was a 3.9GB download sometime between 2016-12-21T23:08-0800 and 2016-12-22T05:49-0800. Then, it appears, my car's computer got to work on processing the map download, or whatever. It is a November 2016 build, with the new TeslaVision hardware. The car did not notify me of (navigation) map update by 2016-12-23T07:55-0800 (when I parked my car far from my home and any good wifi), but when I got back to the car at the parking lot, it notified me when I stepped into the car at 2016-12-23T08:42-0800. Here's that timeline in line by line format:
  • 2016-12-21 T 23:08 -0800: Begin of period when 3.9GB was about to be downloaded.
  • 2016-12-22 T 05:49 -0800: End of above period when 3.9GB was downloaded, probably (navigation) map update.
  • 2016-12-23 T 07:55 -0800: Begin of period of which sometime this period nav maps finished updating. (End of certainly not done period.)
  • 2016-12-23 T 08:42 -0800: End of period in which sometime during this period nav maps finished updating.
So, the minimum amount of time to process the (navigation) map update was 26 hours 6 minutes, and the maximum amount of time to process (navigation) map update (deducting 10 minutes for minimum download time) was 33 hours 24 minutes. Potentially (although somehow I doubt this) the processing time was in parallel with download time (for instance if the download was in segments that allowed earlier segments to start processing while later segments were still being downloaded), in which case the maximum amount of time to process would be ten minutes longer, at around 33 hours 34 minutes.

So, I got to thinking: how many times did I stress my car's computer or energy stores during this period? I don't recall exactly (but TeslaFi has a good outline), but at least from the above table, you can see that my car sat for 9 hours 29 minutes parked and connected to wifi, during which time the maps had been completely downloaded, and yet not completely processed. According to TeslaFi, that day alone the car had 0 minutes sleep time, 19 hours 5 minutes idle time, 2 hours 25 minutes drive time, and the energy was always above 50%. Presumably during some of that idle time it may still have been downloading, and presumably there was more idle time the next day while it was still processing. I wonder if map update only processes during idle time.

Last edited:
Since getting my S, I have received two map updates.
The first on 3/14/16 and the second and most recent on 12/23/16.
In both cases, I was parked in a parking lot that afforded LTE connectivity only, not WiFi.
Those were the only two times that I ever noticed the maps update message.
Perhaps other updates may have come but I did not see the message...
But that said, I have never yet received map updates while on WiFi and my car is usually WiFi connected
when parked at home.