Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (sort of) maps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ingineer

Electrical Engineer
Aug 8, 2012
On December 19th Tesla released new navigation map updates for both EU and US.

Tesla has begun pushing these out. You will need to have a WiFi connection if you want to get them anytime soon.

The US version is almost 4 gigabytes, so this is why they want you on WiFi.

The versions are listed as 4th Quarter 2015. So I guess they are about a year old.

Tesla has begun pushing these out. You will need to have a WiFi connection if you want to get them anytime soon.

The versions are listed as 4th Quarter 2015. So I guess they are about a year old.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban

Exciting!

Do they take a while to process once downloading or something? My car downloaded maybe 4.2GB while tethered to my phone (much to my surprise -- thank goodness for it being a burner SIM with lots of spare data). But afterwards, I didn't get any alerts.... and further tethering did not result in any more downloading.

Reactions: gillfoto
Exciting!

Do they take a while to process once downloading or something? My car downloaded maybe 4.2GB while tethered to my phone (much to my surprise -- thank goodness for it being a burner SIM with lots of spare data). But afterwards, I didn't get any alerts.... and further tethering did not result in any more downloading.
No, usually it's pretty fast once downloaded. However, sometimes it's easy to miss the notice that your maps have been updated. Any action on the screen will hide the dialog boxes, so many people miss it, even though their maps were successfully installed.

Before you ask, no, there is no way to tell which version you have without root access. There may be some subtle differences in the maps, such as new roads added that you could look for. If I get time, I'll see if I can find any "red herring roads" in the new version.

Are these delivered separate from the normal updates?

How does one know they have been updated?

How does one know they have been updated?

The screen shows this message:

✓ Navigation Maps Updated
Congratulations! Your navigation system is now using the latest maps.

I was surprised to see it yesterday after running an errand. I hadn't been on wifi for several hours when I received the message.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161223-062323~2.png
    Screenshot_20161223-062323~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Excellent. So the first time I apparently got a map update, I never got the "maps updated" msg on the screen... I eventually had the service center look while I happened to be there for some other item.

Any thoughts as to if there are some circumstances that would prevent the notification form popping up

Tesla updated my maps today. European version.

In the google-photo-satellite view the images are still a bit old as what i see, but higher resolution from first view. Probably will do some tests on roads where it was a bit misleading in previous version.

Map updates are to the Navigon/Garmin maps used for navigation routing - not for the Google maps. The Google maps are downloaded in real-time from Google - and always have the latest map data, including recent highway changes. While the Google maps will show recent road changes pretty quickly, the satellite maps will lag, since they don't refresh the satellite images as often.

And the Navigon maps are usually out-of-date by the time we get them - that's true for Tesla and the other car navigation systems.

I live on a street that was built 6-7 years ago - and the navigation software still thinks it take 5 minutes to go past two houses on the block... Hopefully that will be fixed in this map update (if/when I get it).

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo