Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"New" Sources of Tesla 'OEM,' Tesla-like, and/or Third-Party CCS1 Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to information/product vacuums caused when Tesla allegedly stepped in and prevented further sales of Korean CCS1 adapters to North America (e.g., by helpful businesses like Harumio), several new potential sources of adapters originated in 2022.

September 21, 2022 Update: Tesla North America has (finally) released its CCS1 adapter to Canadian and U.S. customers. The adapter is available to all (four) Tesla models, provided cars are CCS-enabled. [Hardware/software retrofits are now available from Tesla for cars currently without CCS capability.]

December 26, 2023 news tidbits: (a) Still no Tesla-provided CCS hardware/software updates for non-CCS-compatible Models 3 & Y; but maybe as soon as next month (January 2024)? (b) As discussed elsewhere, the scheduled adoption, now by almost all electric car manufacturers, of the NACS (North American Charging Standard--i.e., the original 2012 Tesla Proprietary Standard plugs and ports) suggests that the CCS standard may (join CHAdeMO and) become a dying technology in North America in coming years. (c) A2Z, a Canadian firm partnering with Asian manufacturer Olink, is now offering the first (to my knowledge) working combined CCS1 (DC)-J1772 (AC) adapter.

"New" (in 2022) Sources of CCS1 Adapters
(Grouped by type.)
Source​
Price​
Specific Notes​
Availability
(in NA)​
Genuine Tesla Adapter
$250(US)
$175(US)
$250
$325(CAN)
$340(CAN)

$240(CAN)
$345(CAN)​
  • Available on the Canada and U.S. Tesla websites.
  • Owner's manual here.
  • For Models S, X, 3, and Y.
  • Car must be CCS-enabled.
  • As of February 2023 factory-approved hardware retrofits (including parts and labor) for non-CCS-enabled cars were available for Models S and X.
  • As of March 2024 CCS hardware upgrades for North American Models 3 and Y (that need them) are available for order on the Tesla website..
  • While waiting for Tesla to release hardware retrofits, some drivers of non-CCS cars tried successful DIY (do-it-yourself) procedures to enable CCS charging in certain 2021 cars and in older vehicles (particularly Models 3 & Y). See numerous postings, starting with this Thread. I assume that with Tesla factory retrofits now available, DIY efforts will diminish in popularity.
AVAILABLE.
Tesla-Adapter Copies
$325
$294
$319
$250
$235
$246
$251
$239
$216
$230
$203
$175
$161
$132

$116.50
$119*​
  • Hansshow/Hautopart adapter may also be found on TesPlus website (for $200 $140).​
  • See website for technical specifications.​
  • Stated to be for Models S, X, 3, & Y (car must be CCS-enabled).​
AVAILABLE.
$250
$200
$170
$185
$180
$165
$155

$140​
  • See website for technical specifications.
  • Claimed to be compatible with "all Tesla models."
  • Graphic imagery suggests that this may be a different product than the Hansshow/Hautopart adapter.
AVAILABLE.
Independently-designed Aftermarket Adapters
A2Z Shop
(Canada)​
$293
$270
$227
$195
$175

$150
$121*​
  • Brand name: "Thunderstorm Plug."
  • Combined CCS1 and J1772 adapter in one.
  • Sold by registered TMC vendor (information available via @A2ZEVSHOP)
  • See website for technical specifications.
  • Design and engineering input originated from this North American company with business ties to:
    • Manufacturer Huizhou Olink Technology Co., Ltd. (China)
  • Works with applicable Models S, Ǝ, X, and Y, but:
  • Note #1: Website CCS1 price may vary slightly, probably due to fluctuating Canada-to-U.S.-dollar rates.
    Note #2: Other CCS1-related accessories (e.g., lock, case, ECU) are also available from A2Z Shop.
AVAILABLE.
In Development
-na-​
  • See website for more information.
  • In size and general shape, reminiscent of the original SETEC CCS1 adapter (see below).
  • Possible release in, when?--2024?
Currently
Unavailable.​
* Includes shipping to North America.

Current Aftermarket Adapters

Note: Adapter images are not to the same scale.​

Comments:
  • USE FOR AC J1772-PLUG CHARGING? - Some/all J1772 plugs can be inserted into the upper circular socket of many CCS1 adapters. This perpetuated the previous misconception that all CCS1 adapters could be used to accept J1772 plug-outfitted charging cables. That is still untrue. Most CCS1 adapters are exclusively for DC charging, while J1772 plugs are used for AC Level 2 charging.
    |
    However, there is news on this front: The latest A2Z Thunderstorm adapter will apparently handle both DC and AC charging. See that website for more information.
    |
    Meanwhile, the other CCS1 adapters listed in this post are (afaik) still not usable with any J1772 AC cable-plug device. So normally a CCS1 adapter is not necessary for AC charging (from 240v wall outlets and at Level 2 charging stations). TMC members have convincingly demonstrated (via photographs) that most other Tesla and aftermarket CCS1 adapters seen so far lack certain key electrical connectors necessary for AC J1772 charging (see here). Again, the A2Z adapter is apparently the exception. But for other CCS1 adapters, for a North American Tesla you can use AC charging equipment with J1772 plugs only with a proper J1772 adapter (now including the A2Z CCS1/J1772 adapter).

Don't be misled--CCS1 adapters are NOT necessary for AC charging.

• CHARGING LOCKS - Adapters designed for use in North American Tesla cars routinely come with a locking notch (at the bottom of the Tesla proprietary [TPC] plug that inserts into the charging port) that will prevent most unintended adapter-removal (i.e., theft) from the port during a charging session. Some manufacturers/suppliers are also addressing the second undesirable issue of having a CCS1 cable-plug/handle prematurely removed from the other end of the adapter during charging. See individual supplier webpages about any features designed to prevent undesired cable removal.

• INTERNAL DESIGN - Most third-party CCS1 adapters appear to have a relatively simple straight "pass-through" circuitry design (with no or minimal amounts of solid-state circuitry components), as does the OEM Tesla adapter (I believe). The original SETEC adapter--with its battery-powered, CHAdeMO-mimicking software/hardware and 50kW charge rate maximum--is the notable exception.

• CCS COMPATIBILITY - CCS1 adapters that lack on-board control circuitry (i.e., most/all adapters other than the original SETEC device) require that the car be "CCS-enabled." (In other words, some kind of CCS-allowing control electronics must be present inside either the adapter or the car.) In general, most Teslas from early 2020 to June 2021, and from November 2021 to present are so enabled; but check your car's CCS status before purchasing an adapter.
    • To check CCS status:
      • Center Touchscreen Display.
      • "Software" screen.
      • Choose "Additional Vehicle Information" link.
      • Examine "CCS adapter support" status. Status should appear as either "Enabled" or "Not installed."
    • If "Not installed" (CCS incompatible), owners of Models S, X, 3, and Y can now purchase hardware/software updates from Tesla. There were also clever DIY (do it yourself) workarounds for Models 3 and Y before the factory retrofits became available.
  • ADVERTISED CHARGING RATES - For several reasons I am no longer reporting charging rate specifications; in part because the new (2022) adapters all claim a maximum charging rate of at least 150kW, up to 250kW (as does the Tesla OEM adapter).

TMC Forum posts report widely varying charging rates for seemingly all CCS1 adapters (both Tesla and third-party). The reason is apparently that many conditions and factors--e.g., car model, age, and condition; the battery's initial charge level and temperature at the start of a charging session; and additional factors--may affect maximum and ongoing charging rates at any particular time. Clearly the design and condition/health of the particular charging station being used makes a difference (with variation even seen among charging stations of the same company and at particular stations on different days). Also important: exactly when a reading is taken during a charging session. Charging rates rise and fall naturally over the course of a full session (here is one example). When a car starts with a relatively low battery level (say at 20% capacity), a moderately-high start, followed by an aggressive ramp-up, and then a gradual decline is commonplace.

Taking all this into account, a single charging rate index number may not be a particularly helpful (or honest) decision-making factor. Better, perhaps, would be a series of comparative charge-session graphs with conditions held relatively constant (e.g., 20%-to-80% charge sessions, batteries preconditioned to best operating temperatures, moderate ambient temperatures, use of the same charging station, etc.). Clearly we need someone like Tom Moloughney (YouTube "State of Charge" Channel) to objectively test, side-by-side, all the CCS1 adapter alternatives. In addition to comparative charge rates, I would also be interested in internal design, and build quality. (But I certainly do not want to dissect my own, or indeed any, precious CCS1 adapter to investigate.)

It is still early days, but one (still untested, afaik) hypothesis is that adapters with straight "pass-through" circuitry designs (including the Tesla OEM device) will all perform in generally similar fashion given the same conditions. If that proves true, the choice of product then comes down to factors other than maximum rate of charge; such as build-quality, safety features, cost (and we are seeing aftermarket sellers actively match or undercut the Tesla adapter price), size and weight, availability, brand loyalty, purchase convenience, customer service, and so forth. I haven't looked inside an adapter, but I imagine that the size/bulk, design, and metallurgical content of electrical contacts and conductors may be important (e.g., for resistance and hence energy loss through heat). This is DC high-voltage fast-charging, so you want beefy components here, people. Consider the analogy of making a purchase choice from among various brands of NEMA 14-50 wall receptacles with different prices and/or construction/designs. They all work, but...(BUY HUBBELL!--or, even better yet, a Tesla or name brand wall connector.)

• CAVEATS - Information (e.g., prices, descriptions) on some sites can change frequently and unexpectedly. Some initial products and websites are no more. Again, be cautious. After a long wait, adapters (and now CCS hardware upgrades for Models S & X) for are finally available from Tesla in North America. Therefore, many might now argue that the genuine CCS1 adapter (and factory hardware retrofits if needed) from Tesla in North America are the safest course. But will Tesla supplies be consistently adequate to meet demand? We'll see. (As of 03/8/24, Tesla's ongoing stock of CCS1 adapters appears to remain satisfactory.)

• CURRENCY - Prices listed here are in US dollars.

• CAUTION - Please note the alert (in red) at the bottom of this post.
    |
  • For drivers whose cars are still incompatible with most CCS1 adapters and who, for whatever reason, prefer not want to use the original SETEC/Lectron CCS1 adapter (below), Tesla/aftermarket CHAdeMO adapters are still sometimes available (used/new) (e.g., on Craig's List), and are are alternative source for DC charging at the remaining stations in North America. At about a maximum of about 50kW, performance is similar to the SETEC/Lectron CCS1 adapter but without the hassle of software update incompatibility. CHAdeMO adapters are somewhat bulky*, however.
    |
    Original Tesla Chademo Adapter (for North America)

Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter
    |
  • Finally, with recent (2023) inroads by Tesla into having its proprietary charging standard become the so-called North American Charging Standard (NACS)--adopted by more and more manufacturers of electric cars sold in North America (latest count appears to show that almost all NA electric cars will adopt the NACS within a couple of years)--it is easy to envision a time in the near future when virtually all new and many modified NA electric battery-powered vehicles will use the simple AC/DC Tesla standard plugs and ports. If that happens, the CCS1 standard could conceivably become obsolete. For now, though, CCS1 adapters remain a worthy accessory for Tesla drivers who travel extensively.
_____
* @wk057 has a bench-top dissection of a CHAdeMO adapter here, showing all the control circuitry necessary (hence the CHAdeMO adapter's larger size, by the way).

Prior Sources of CCS1 Adapters
(In order of release?)

Source​
Price​
Specific Notes​
Adapter Type​
Availability
(in NA)​
$525​
  • Car must be "CCS-enabled."
  • Availability curtailed by Russia's war against Ukraine.
  • First available for sale in 2020.
"Aftermarket"
Straight "pass-
through" circuitry.​
Currently unavailable.​
$640
$300
  • Unlike other adapters here, charges at a 50kW maximum rate.
  • Requires onboard battery.
  • Runs off firmware that may require frequent updates.
  • Not always compatible with Tesla vehicle updates.
  • Can be used in any model; car need not be CCS-enabled.
  • First available (in North America) in late 2020.
"Aftermarket"
Hardware/software
used to mimic
CHAdeMO technology.​
AVAILABLE.
~$227 (US)​
  • See website (and use Google translate if necessary) for technical specifications.
  • Translation of owner's manual here.
  • Car must be "CCS enabled."
  • Ostensibly for Models 3/Y only (in actuality works with all CCS-enabled models).
  • Includes locking pin to help discourage unintended CCS1 cable-plug detachment.
  • Made for Tesla-Korea by Pegatron of Taiwan.
  • First available (in Korea) in 2021.
  • For a few months in 2022 was available to North American customers through selected Korean shopping/shipping businesses (e.g., Harumio).
"Tesla OEM"
Straight "pass-
through" circuitry.​
AVAILABLE
(in Korea).

Previous CCS1 Adapters

Disclosures and Alerts:
  • In 2022 I purchased two Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapters, along with aftermarket cases for those adapters, from Harumio in South Korea. (I found the process painless and convenient and staff there helpful and professional.) I paid the standard Harumio retail prices. I do not own, nor have I seen or handled, any of the other CCS1 adapters.

• More importantly, I have not received, nor am I or will I be receiving any payment or compensation in any form whatsoever from any company or individual regarding CCS1 adapters (or for that matter any other Tesla- or auto-related issue). All opinions, right or wrong, offered in this post are my own.

• The third-party CCS1 adapter market continues to be competitive. Product specifications and information (especially availability and prices) can evolve suddenly and unexpectedly as the market adjusts to recent events. Therefore, information included here may be in error or out-of-date. If you choose to purchase a third-party product, always check with the seller for the latest information and discounts before buying. As with other Tesla-applicable accessories, consumers now have a choice of factory or aftermarket products.

Last edited:
Question #2: Can a J1772 accessory (safely) plug directly into the top portion of the Tesla OEM or any CCS1 adapter?

In other words, does a driver with a good CCS1 adapter have any need of a J1772 adapter?
I can't speak to the Hansshow adapter specifically, but as a general rule, the answers are "no" and "yes," respectively.

On the Tesla connector design, both AC and DC are carried through the same pins. A J1772 adapter connects AC pins on the J1772 side to these AC-plus-DC pins on the Tesla side, and J1772 lacks DC pins so they are of course omitted. The CCS1 adapters I know about connect the DC pins on the CCS1 side to the AC-plus-DC pins on the Tesla side and omit the AC pins. This is done for safety reasons; if the CCS1 AC pins were connected in the adapter, then they would necessarily be electrically linked to the DC pins, and plugging in a J1772 plug would indeed work to charge the car; but the DC pins on the adapter would then carry 240v of live current. As the design for the CCS1 connector would leave those pins exposed in this situation, this configuration would be unsafe; anybody could come along and touch those live wires and get quite a surprise. This is the context for @avs007's comment:
I'd be curious how or if they disconnect/isolate the lower DC pins when charging via AC... If they don't, that is a serious shock hazard...
If there were some mechanism to ensure that the DC pins were somehow disconnected when doing AC charging, then a CCS1 adapter could double as a J1772 adapter. If the pins were just wired together, then it would be unsafe. It's my understanding that Tesla's original CCS1 adapter design does not connect the AC pins, so their adapter won't work as a J1772 adapter. My suspicion is that, contrary to whatever implication might exist in promotional materials, the same is true of the Hansshow adapter. OTOH, maybe they've got some active circuitry in the thing to make it work safely.

This is easily enough checked visually. If you look at a J1772-to-Tesla adapter, you can see metal inside each of the individual pin depressions on the J1772 side. If you look at a Tesla CCS1 adapter, you'll see metal in all of the depressions except for the two J1772 AC lines; those are just empty in the Tesla CCS1 design. If the Hansshow adapter is the same, then it's just like the Tesla adapter in this respect. If there's metal, OTOH, then either it's a horribly unsafe design or it's got some clever mechanism for decoupling the AC and DC lines internally.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and MP3Mike
so what is the reason Tesla hasn't launched ccs1 adapters in North America? On the same note, why isn't towing a thing on Model 3? I have a tow bar (eco-hitch) installed but the software doesn't acknowledge it so it thinks something is riding my ass the entire time.

so what is the reason Tesla hasn't launched ccs1 adapters in North America?
To the best of my knowledge, nobody outside of Tesla knows the answer to this. Speculation is rife, though, and there are dozens, if not hundreds, of posts on the topic. Most speculation centers on supply-chain issues, possibly combined with a desire by Tesla to offer a solution that works for everybody all at once (which would mean a desire to have upgrade kits ready to install for owners of older pre-CCS Teslas). Some speculate that Tesla is doing testing and R&D to ensure compatibility with all commonly-deployed CCS chargers in North America.

I can't speak to the Hansshow adapter specifically, but as a general rule, the answers are "no" and "yes," respectively.

On the Tesla connector design, both AC and DC are carried through the same pins. A J1772 adapter connects AC pins on the J1772 side to these AC-plus-DC pins on the Tesla side, and J1772 lacks DC pins so they are of course omitted. The CCS1 adapters I know about connect the DC pins on the CCS1 side to the AC-plus-DC pins on the Tesla side and omit the AC pins. This is done for safety reasons; if the CCS1 AC pins were connected in the adapter, then they would necessarily be electrically linked to the DC pins, and plugging in a J1772 plug would indeed work to charge the car; but the DC pins on the adapter would then carry 240v of live current. As the design for the CCS1 connector would leave those pins exposed in this situation, this configuration would be unsafe; anybody could come along and touch those live wires and get quite a surprise. This is the context for @avs007's comment:

If there were some mechanism to ensure that the DC pins were somehow disconnected when doing AC charging, then a CCS1 adapter could double as a J1772 adapter. If the pins were just wired together, then it would be unsafe. It's my understanding that Tesla's original CCS1 adapter design does not connect the AC pins, so their adapter won't work as a J1772 adapter. My suspicion is that, contrary to whatever implication might exist in promotional materials, the same is true of the Hansshow adapter. OTOH, maybe they've got some active circuitry in the thing to make it work safely.

This is easily enough checked visually. If you look at a J1772-to-Tesla adapter, you can see metal inside each of the individual pin depressions on the J1772 side. If you look at a Tesla CCS1 adapter, you'll see metal in all of the depressions except for the two J1772 AC lines; those are just empty in the Tesla CCS1 design. If the Hansshow adapter is the same, then it's just like the Tesla adapter in this respect. If there's metal, OTOH, then either it's a horribly unsafe design or it's got some clever mechanism for decoupling the AC and DC lines internally.
Images of the Authentic Tesla CCS adapter and the Hansshow CCS adapter. Neither have pins in the AC ports.
Tesla CCS.JPG

Hansshow CCS.JPG

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: srs5694 and tps5352

Thanks for the photos in Post #304 of the missing pins in the CCS1 adapters! Very helpful. (Why didn't I see that? Answer: See last sentence, below.)

Is the diagram in Post #305 yours (did you create it), or do you perhaps have a reference (we can acknowledge) as to where it came from? Thanks.

I felt dumb (but that didn't stop me from) asking about whether a CCS1 adapter could be used to Level 2 (AC) charge. Reminds me of once mis-sexing a yound male cat that had been neutered. (Out of modesty I hadn't looked closely enough! :) ).

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos in Post #304 of the missing pins in the CCS1 adapters! Very helpful. (Why didn't I see that?)

Is the diagram in Post #305 yours (did you create it), or do you perhaps have a reference (we can acknowledge) as to where it came from? Thanks.

I felt dumb (but that didn't stop me from) asking about whether a CCS1 adapter could be used to Level 2 (AC) charge. Reminded me of once mis-sexing a yound male cat that had been neutered. (Out of modesty I hadn't looked closely enough! :) ).
Not a problem. There is some misinformation on the Hansshow site. They offer a package deal that includes a L2 charger but it appears from the images you can plug the J1772 adapter into the CCS adapter.

Reference Link

It's here in the US.

It's here in the US.
Yes, I just checked Tesla website and it's available now for $250US. I'm sure it will be sold out by end of day. Nice

Authentic Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter

Last edited:
For those with the hansshow CCS adapter, the product page implies that their adapter is also able to do AC charging (i.e. its a 2-in-1 adapter). Has anyone actually tried this to see if it works? I don't think that's the case with the Tesla OEM one.

Thanks to very helpful posts by @srs5694 and @DoubleDD we now know for sure that neither a Tesla OEM or Hansshow CCS1 adapter can be used to Level 2 (AC) charge a car.

And here is my personal confirmation at my local free Level 2 J1772 charging station, where the J1772 cable-plug fits into the CCS1 adapter, but cannot successfully charge.

*****​

This really calls into question the (suspicious; intended?) implication on the Hansshow site that one could use just their J1772 mobile connector and a CCS1 adapter to charge a car.

I discuss the answer (NO!!!) to that implication here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EfficientWatts

It's here in the US.

Holy cow!!!

That's HUGE information!!!

What everyone (well, three people, at least) have been waiting for! Finally! (Just exceeded my quota of exclamation points.)

Mark the date: September 21, 2022. (Now when was that informal Tweet or whatever from Tesla that a CCS1 adapter would be available in North America soon? Ah, here it is, or at least one announcement.)

Last edited:
Reactions: julit0 and BonB

It's here in the US.
Thanks for the heads up, bought one immediately. Wonder how long it'll take for them to sell out :p

This looks like a much safer option than trying the uncertified aftermarket adapters!

Reactions: BonB

It's here in the US.

I can't be 100% sure, but yours may have been the first (09/21/2022; 11:17 am Pacific Coast Time) TMC post to announce the CCS1 adapter release in North America.

How did you hear about it?