Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Southern California edison time of use rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get error message when I try to download. Also you can't run the SCE rate analyzer. You have to call them and they run a rate comparison by hand. Apparently the database or database query engine doesn't expect a negative number. It works of you don't have any generation that creates negative numbers.

To me this is a clue to how far behind the public utilities are with respect to understanding the trends and changes they are facing.
I don't know about your calculator because I couldn't get that far.

i created an app to help me figure out my charges under the various sce plans and then edited it so anyone can use it: sce

I clicked on your link above in the latest release of Google Chrome Version 44.0.2403.130 (64-bit) which has Adobe Flas built-in. This opened a "Southern California Edison Rate Analysis" page with "Start by going to Southern California Edison - SCE and clicking 'My Account' At the lower left click the 'Download My Data' button on the sce page and click next here."" with your picture of the SCE My Account page below it. ... but clicking "here" didn't do anything. 8-(

Sure wish this didn't have to have Adobe Flash to run...

@ampster,

when i called sce to run a rate comparison they would only do a 1 month comparison because they were doing the rate comparison by hand. i almost fell out of my chair when i heard that. i told her any programmer could write a program that would automate all those calculations and, instead of being limited to 1 month with limited generalizability, could analyze any number of months data.

what an incredible waste of time/money for sce to hand calculate something so easily automated and then intentionally diminish its usefulness by limiting the analysis to 1 month . imo sce (and possibly other utility suppliers) have no financial benefit if customers use utilities more efficiently and select the most cost-effective plan. imo they're intentionally thwarting adoption of the optimal plan for customers.

in fact, the federal government is mandating that all utilities have a 'green' button that allows users to download their data. in addition, utilities are supposed to be using a standardized format to store those data so 'innovators' (clearly not the utilities, but maybe people like me) can develop apps that help customers use energy more efficiently.

anyway, sce's currently dragging their feet and delaying my ability to generate power to the grid. my solar system's been installed for over 1 week but they have yet to give the ok to turn the 'switch' and start feeding power to the grid.

once that's done i should be able to see what you're seeing.

Well our first electric bill since we got the Tesla has arrived, and it basically doubled from last month. It could be because we switched into summer baseline rates, but charging Tesla may be the major factor. Based on this, do you guys think we should switch to peak/off-peak rate structure? I do work from home and have my PC's running during the day, not sure how much effect that would have.

8YXwcs1hHM03EOBiO2frZJ5KMDzTC4Ld9EWKrzIkEQRA5zOoU7f8AvFXfxMRHg8YAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
8-7-2015 12-57-08 PM.jpg

I agree. If I interpret what you said as 455 kWh normal consumption and 455 kwh charging and if you can do all your charging from 10pm until 8am then you may ba able to save with TOU rate. Which one depends on your circumstances. You may be able to find the button that can create a rate comparator between TOU choices A or B
Check your kWh consumption for last month. My assumption above about consumption doubling may be incorrect because of summer rate increase and going to the next tier or tiers.

Last edited:
If you click through the link to the sce page then to one of the vendors you will see the $49 price. With tax & shipping it was $63. I dont think you have to give up your existing plan, but the sce page will tell you for sure. I fell asleep reading the 40 page Tariff document that may confirm the rate.

@ampster,

sce's rate analyzer has several restrictions. the one that eliminates non-commercial/non-agricultrual accounts (i'm a residential user) prevents me from using it.

@steph280,

this will help you see your how your charges from last year would be impacted by changing plans. and you can add your car charging to last years billings to see how you would fair adding your car to your usage: sce

I found some reference to SCE rates for this Pilot program and unless I am mistaken they are the close to the same as Super Off Peak rate of $0.11/kWh.

Here is where I found the price for RATE TOU-EV-1:
https://www.sce.com/NR/sc3/tm2/pdf/ce114-12.pdf

There is Delivery Service charge of 0.05394 and two Generation charges of 0.6144 and 0.00172. The total of all those is 0.1171 or rounded to 0.12. On the EV Pilot page there is a link to tarrif schedules and I found a document withinn which was form 14.949 and on page 5 of that document it said, ''All PEV submeter usage will be billed on Schedule TOU-EV-1

Based on that I am going to cancel the WattBox and stick with my existing TOU-D-A
NOTE. It was originally BrokerDon that found this discrepancy several pages earlier.

Last edited:
I'm still going forward with the WattBox since TOU-EV-1 has more lenient / significantly longer Off-Peak hours than TOU-D-A or TOU-D-B:

Rates & Hours

TOU-D-B Time-Of-Use Domestic (retes are Summer Winter)

On-Peak: 35¢ 25¢ 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. summer and winter weekdays except holidays

Off-Peak: 18¢ 14¢

• 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
  • 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Super Off-Peak: 11.0¢ 11.0¢ 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. all year, every day

TOU-EV-1
Time-Of-Use Domestic Electric Vehicle Charging

On-Peak: 12:00 noon to 9:00 p.m. all year, every day 36¢ 23¢

Off-Peak: 9:00 p.m. To 12:00 noon - all year, everyday 11.7¢ 11.7¢

So basically TOU-EV-1 hours start 1 hour later (9:00 p.m. vs. 8:00 p.m.) BUT runs 4 hourslater (12:00 noon vs. 8:00 a.m.) which is a total of 4 hours LONGER than TOU-D-A or TOU-D-B at a slightly higher 0.7 kWh rate.

Now the MILLION DOLLAR question is will SCE give us our Summer Discount Plan on BOTH our TOU-D-B and TOU-EV-1 plans...

Worth considering. That four hours in the morning might be useful when I need to charge both cars or find a need to go farther than my car is at. I drive a Smart ED and don't top it off each day. The program expires in a year but the meter could be used with some kind of web browser I suppose.

I'm still going forward with the WattBox since TOU-EV-1 has more lenient / significantly longer Off-Peak hours than TOU-D-A or TOU-D-B:

Rates & Hours

TOU-D-B Time-Of-Use Domestic (retes are Summer Winter)

On-Peak: 35¢ 25¢ 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. summer and winter weekdays except holidays

Off-Peak: 18¢ 14¢

• 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
  • 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Super Off-Peak: 11.0¢ 11.0¢ 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. all year, every day

TOU-EV-1
Time-Of-Use Domestic Electric Vehicle Charging

On-Peak: 12:00 noon to 9:00 p.m. all year, every day 36¢ 23¢

Off-Peak: 9:00 p.m. To 12:00 noon - all year, everyday 11.7¢ 11.7¢

So basically TOU-EV-1 hours start 1 hour later (9:00 p.m. vs. 8:00 p.m.) BUT runs 4 hourslater (12:00 noon vs. 8:00 a.m.) which is a total of 4 hours LONGER than TOU-D-A or TOU-D-B at a slightly higher 0.7 kWh rate.

Now the MILLION DOLLAR question is will SCE give us our Summer Discount Plan on BOTH our TOU-D-B and TOU-EV-1 plans...

Broker Don nailed it and did a better job than i did on the other post. Like him Im still going with the wattbox due to the better hours and no huge on peak rate as the TOU-D's have

I finally decided to cancel my cancel. The extra 4 hours at Super Off Peak rate equivalent gives me flexibility. I some times realize I could use more charge once my daily schedule is figured out in the morning. I also don't top off my smart car every night. I will be interested to see how it works with my SCE TOU-D-A rate.

Will WattBox affect our 61.5% SDP savings?

I will be interested to see how it works with my SCE TOU-D-A rate.

Me too too but with TOU-D-B... And more importantly our SDP (Summer Discount Plan) which saved us $107.53 (61.5%) off our $174.92 initial SCE bill this past month. Best SCE discount program EVER !!!

I'm concerned when I install the eMotorWerks WattBox SCE will compute our SDP based only on our TOU-D-B rate and not our TOU-D-B + WattBox EV-1 rate. I'm going to try to get SCE to confirm before we install the WattBox but not optimistic I'll get a straight answer.

Last edited:
My WattBox arrives tomorrow and I will try to take photos of the install. I don't have AC so I don't think SCE would give me the Summer Discount Plan. I am in an all electric home so they could put one of their devices on my electric heating thermostat or my electric dryer. LOL