Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SR or Used LR??

Which do i buy with a 40K budget?

• NEW SR for 36K with plan of upgrading in 2 years

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • NEW SR+ for 40k

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • USED LR for 40K with 45-50K miles on it

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i determined my budget is 40k on a tesla model 3 now iv found some great pricing on used long range model 3s so wanted to get some opinions.

1) Do i buy a brand new $35k standard range (not plus) with the plan of upgrading to standard range plus in a few years

Or

2) Do i buy a used LR with 45-50k miles on it for 38K?

I honestly feel the LR is the way better option but i wanted to get some thoughts on how risky it is to buy a used tesla. Is there a possibility that the previous owner really destroyed /degraded the crap out of the battery? How many more miles can i put on a used tesla with 50k miles? When will i eventually need to replace the battery?

It does depend on your use case. I'm a very happy SR+ owner. While more range is always better, I've never regretted getting an SR+ and never felt that I was limited by the range given the prevalence of superchargers. I've done several road trips of up to 800-900 miles and had no problems. I do tend to drive pretty efficiently, though - I almost always hit rated range and sometimes can average 10% above rated range depending on conditions.

It looks like NY State offers a $2k rebate for electric vehicles, so you should be able to buy a new SR+ for that same $38k price.

If you have a 150 mile commute, or want to drive multiple hours at 80 MPH or higher (reduced efficiency), I'd lean towards the LR. The colder climate in NY state also plays a factor. If you're planning on many road trips and are concerned about making an extra stop or two, that's another argument for the LR. Personally, I enjoy making a few stops to stretch my legs and take a break.

If you tell us a little bit more about how you want to use the car, that can help a lot with our guidance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nikodouls
If you tell us a little bit more about how you want to use the car, that can help a lot with our guidance.

So my daily commute is only 22 Miles both ways (1 hour of driving each way in NYC Traffic) so range is not a problem for everyday driving. My concern is road trips with the family. I've never gone on a road trip for longer than 700 miles however i do want to be able to do a 400-500 mile trip at least once a year and from what i am hearing you only really get about 70% of your battery range capacity before you have to charge and having to supercharge 3 times for a 4 hour trip seems like a big hassle.

I've been leaning SR because i figured SR+ will probably already be a hassle for a road trip so whats an extra charge lol (It'll save me from degrading the battery, ill get the red that i want and ill upgrade in a few years to a plus is my thinking)

The new SR+ vs the used LR is a use-case decision. The only thing I'd avoid is the SR, which saves you very little and loses you both range and features. The resale price of the SR will probably also be inferior to either the SR+ or the LR as a percentage of your investment.

A 400-500 mile road trip in an SR+ is no problem. It does mean that you will probably need to make 2 stops vs 1 in the LR, or 3 vs 2 depending on the exact circumstances. If you are headed to a final destination where there are no charging options of any kind, the LR will make a difference. Usually where I am headed there is at least a 120v plug or a supercharger nearby, and I'm happy to make one additional stop on a road trip.

For your use case, I'd vote for a new SR+, but if you're concerned about range or making an extra ~20min stop (could be a concern with a family) then I'd go the LR route.

One final question - will you have at home (or at work) charging? If not, I might lean toward towards the LR - a larger battery means less trips to a public charger/Supercharger.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
So i determined my budget is 40k on a tesla model 3 now iv found some great pricing on used long range model 3s so wanted to get some opinions.

1) Do i buy a brand new $35k standard range (not plus) with the plan of upgrading to standard range plus in a few years

Or

2) Do i buy a used LR with 45-50k miles on it for 38K?

I honestly feel the LR is the way better option but i wanted to get some thoughts on how risky it is to buy a used tesla. Is there a possibility that the previous owner really destroyed /degraded the crap out of the battery? How many more miles can i put on a used tesla with 50k miles? When will i eventually need to replace the battery?
I vote new ,l love the new car not used

A 400-500 mile road trip in an SR+ is no problem. It does mean that you will probably need to make 2 stops vs 1 in the LR, or 3 vs 2 depending on the exact circumstances. If you are headed to a final destination where there are no charging options of any kind, the LR will make a difference. Usually where I am headed there is at least a 120v plug or a supercharger nearby, and I'm happy to make one additional stop on a road trip.

For your use case, I'd vote for a new SR+, but if you're concerned about range or making an extra ~20min stop (could be a concern with a family) then I'd go the LR route.

One final question - will you have at home (or at work) charging? If not, I might lean toward towards the LR - a larger battery means less trips to a public charger/Supercharger.

Thanks so much for the feed back this is a huge help!

I have an outlet in my driveway that can be used and even converted into a nema 14-50 so based on your recommenation im definitely leaning SR+ now.

Reactions: MrMassTransit
The new SR+ vs the used LR is a use-case decision. The only thing I'd avoid is the SR, which saves you very little and loses you both range and features. The resale price of the SR will probably also be inferior to either the SR+ or the LR as a percentage of your investment.

The only real features missing at this point in SR are sound system, autopilot and range/performance. SR was much more limited a year ago without the connectivity and heated seats etc. If i went SR it would only be temporary to pick the color i want and save some money before upgrading