Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SR+ owner with AP questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a SR+ this past Friday and I am thrilled!
But I have some questions......

I bought the basic Autopilot without the full self driving. I engage TACC and then auto steer (or both simultaneously with 2 clicks down. But whenever I change lanes both auto steer and TACC disengages. How can I change lanes and keep both (or at least TACC) engaged?
Can I use autosteer without TACC?
I am also seeing conflicting information online if auto lane change is included. I realize navigate on autopilot is excluded. Per this image it should be included: AP and FSD pricing based on Tesla's second blog post & other details mentioned by Delivery Advisors
If it should be included, how do I activate it?

The manual still needs to be updated for the new package tiers and searching only with all the changes to the packages is not much help!

Typically you would press the turn signal, to start the lane change.

You can have TACC without auto steer but not the other way around. The transition to AP from EAP might have moved the lane change feature out of the package...

Last edited:
the car should auto lane change when you press your turn signal. Just to be clear though, you're not physically moving the steering wheel yourself right? Because if you are than thats why TACC is being disengaged, the car thinks you are taking over.

There is NO Auto Lane change with the new $2000 Auto Pilot package.

While Auto Pilot is engaged (you see blue lanes around your car and a blue circle around your speed) flip your turn signal on. The blue lane keeping indicator will go away but the blue circle around your speed should stay.
Change lanes and TACC will still be on double tap the right stalk to re engage lane keeping.

If that’s not working reboot the car.

Last edited:
It’s been confirmed by multiple users that vanilla AP does NOT have auto lane change (by using the signal stalk). Only EAP and AP+FSD can do automatic lane change with signal stalk.

I’ve also read that with vanilla AP when you use the signal stalk autosteer will disengage but TACC remains. Can’t really confirm as I don’t have vanilla AP.

Last edited:
It’s been confirmed by multiple users that vanilla AP does NOT have auto lane change (by using the signal stalk). Only EAP and AP+FSD can do automatic lane change with signal stalk.

I’ve also read that with vanilla AP when you use the signal stalk autosteer will disengage but TACC remains. Can’t really confirm as I don’t have vanilla AP.

No way to verify, but also heard that if you click your turn signal on autosteer disengages but not TACC

also if you simply pull the wheel hard enough to disengage autosteer, TACC should remain on.

Reactions: 0ptions
I think what OP is asking is in comparison to an ICE car, TACC or regular CC remains engaged while changing lanes where as Tesla M3 disengages when changing lanes. I think OP is looking to keep some kind of cruise on. For the new AP packages, ideally, they would disengage auto steer but maintain some level of TACC or CC and you can reengage auto steer clicking down once you're in your desired lane.

I think what OP is asking is in comparison to an ICE car, TACC or regular CC remains engaged while changing lanes where as Tesla M3 disengages when changing lanes. I think OP is looking to keep some kind of cruise on. For the new AP packages, ideally, they would disengage auto steer but maintain some level of TACC or CC and you can reengage auto steer clicking down once you're in your desired lane.
The cruise should stay on and the autosteer should turn off, allowing you to move the wheel.

I took delivery of a SR+ this past Friday and I am thrilled!
But I have some questions......

I bought the basic Autopilot without the full self driving. I engage TACC and then auto steer (or both simultaneously with 2 clicks down. But whenever I change lanes both auto steer and TACC disengages. How can I change lanes and keep both (or at least TACC) engaged?
Can I use autosteer without TACC?
I am also seeing conflicting information online if auto lane change is included. I realize navigate on autopilot is excluded. Per this image it should be included: AP and FSD pricing based on Tesla's second blog post & other details mentioned by Delivery Advisors
If it should be included, how do I activate it?

The manual still needs to be updated for the new package tiers and searching only with all the changes to the packages is not much help!

With the AP option you have chosen you will need to use the stalk to disengage the AP and then re-engage it after your lane change.

If you are making lots of lane changes you also can just put the car into TACC w/out lane-keeping, the car will maintain speed and spacing from the car in front of you but won't steer.

I have the vanilla AP. If autosteer is active and you put on your turn signal to change lanes the following happens:

1. The autosteer resistance goes away. So you can turn the wheel normally rather than have to overcome the autosteer mechanism. Autosteer remains engaged until it detects a driver input at which point it deactivates.
2. TACC remains active unless you apply the brake.

• Informative
Reactions: pipestem
Has it been anyone else's experience that new SR+ owners with AP had ALC before they ran the update to 2019.5.15?

I picked up my SR+ with AP on Sunday 3/17. Like everyone else who has taken delivery has said, the car had an update available when I got it.

On the drive home, AP calibrated within 15 mins so we were playing around with all the functions, and I DEFINITELY had auto lane change when using autosteer, used it probably 10+ times during that drive.

I just ran my update last night to 2019.5.15 - does this mean when I drive it again, I will no longer have that ALC feature? That's just plain sneaky if so! Like - here's a taste of what you COULD have but give us more money if you want it back.