Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SR+ tire question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new 2021 Standard Range Plus today. 18 inch wheels/tires. I noticed the tires are Michelin Pilot 4s instead of the all season MXM4’s that came on my 2019 model. Did this change recently? Im not loving the fact that it is a summer tire and the less range the car will have with these. Does anyone know when this change happened? Maybe Tesla is out of the MXM4’s?

I had the same thing for my car picked up in October. Good tires but not for my region in October November. Tesla wouldn't do anything about it but agreed that it's unusual (pilot sport 4 t0 is the other oem tire.. I think it's standard in Europe for sr+) for an sr+ in the us to get these. I swapped with cross climate 2. I do think they are low on mxm4 and they put on what they have available... but tesla service did offer to sell me replacement mxm4.

I had the same thing for my car picked up in October. Good tires but not for my region in October November. Tesla wouldn't do anything about it but agreed that it's unusual (pilot sport 4 t0 is the other oem tire.. I think it's standard in Europe for sr+) for an sr+ in the us to get these. I swapped with cross climate 2. I do think they are low on mxm4 and they put on what they have available... but tesla service did offer to sell me replacement mxm4.
How are those Cross Climate 2s working out? Traction? Noise? I've been thinking about getting a set depending on how well or poorly the MXM4s do this winter.

Cc2 in running 45psi cold. Noise is a bit higher... some rumbling at certain speeds. Traction and handling is quite nice for an all season. Can't tell on snow yet or efficiency since the temperature has also been changing. Subjectively seems slightly worse wh/mi vs mxm4 and pilot sport 4 (mine came with 4 not 4s... 18inch).
How are those Cross Climate 2s working out? Traction? Noise? I've been thinking about getting a set depending on how well or poorly the MXM4s do this winter.

Reactions: rpiotro
That’s interesting. I did look at another new SR+ they had there and it too had the Pilot 4S’s. The sales guy didn’t know the difference in the tires and said the Pilot’s were all season. They are most definitely not.
Pilot 4S are all seasons... 4S = 4 Seasons

The Pilot S4 are the summer tires.

MXM4s are sh*t. If you don't like the 4S, then you will not like the MXM4 in the winter time.

I think there is some confusion here.

The "Pilot 4S" is a sport performance summer tire. The "Pilot A/S 4" is a sport performance all season tire. They are two different tires.

I am fairly certain that this user is confusing the two, as you mentioned. "Pilot Sport 4s" is an all season tire, and you google that you land on "pilot sport all season".

So, the concern that the OP has of being delivered with a summer tire is not likely accurate.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I am fairly certain that this user is confusing the two, as you mentioned. "Pilot Sport 4s" is an all season tire, and you google that you land on "pilot sport all season".

So, the concern that the OP has of being delivered with a summer tire is not likely accurate.
Pilot sport 4s and pilot sport 4 in the us are performance summer tires. See link I posted above from michelin. Pilot sport as4 or all season 4 are all season. Please so not confuse this. Tread pattern is completely different.
Pilot sport 4 and Pilot sport 4s are performance summer tires and not suitable for under 40f.
My model 3 was delivered with Pilot sport 4 (summer tires).

Reactions: android04
Pilot sport 4s and pilot sport 4 in the us are performance summer tires. See link I posted above from michelin. Pilot sport as4 or all season 4 are all season. Please so not confuse this. Tread pattern is completely different.
Pilot sport 4 and Pilot sport 4s are performance summer tires and not suitable for under 40f.
My model 3 was delivered with Pilot sport 4 (summer tires).

Pilot SUPER sport 4s are summer tires, not pilot sport 4s. He also mentioned "SR+" and the SR plus in the US is not delivered with summer tires in any trim that we are aware of, currently. Which model 3 do you have? If your car is a Model 3 Performance, then its delivered with Pilot SUPER sport 4s tires which are indeed summer tires.

Pilot SUPER sport 4s are summer tires, not pilot sport 4s. He also mentioned "SR+" and the SR plus in the US is not delivered with summer tires in any trim that we are aware of, currently. Which model 3 do you have? If your car is a Model 3 Performance, then its delivered with Pilot SUPER sport 4s tires which are indeed summer tires.
At least in the us, you are wrong. See links below showing these are max summer tires.

Tesla shop also shows summer tires I can confirm these are pilot sport 4 t0. You can also check tire rack who has these as oem tires for model 3. I did recieved this from tesla on my sr+. As I noted above, Tesla confirms that this is rare, my sa never saw it before... which I think is the point of this thread... a few people are receiving summer tires.

Reactions: android04