TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Star Trek TV Series in 2017(Nerdgasm Alert!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RobStark, Nov 2, 2015.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

#1 RobStark, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month.(wah wah wah waaaah) CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/11/star-trek-tv-series-in-development.html

I really want to watch a new Star Trek series. Don't know how I feel about $6 per month plus having to watch "limited commercials." There is nothing else I would want to watch on CBS All Access. It is hard to get used to the idea of paying for something your are accustom to getting for free.

Evidently the economics don't work out for public broadcast where all the advertisers are chasing the 18-49 demographic or 12-35 demographic. Star Trek's fan base is overwhelmingly 40-75. Evidently, they don't care how old the person is who is paying $6 though.

2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#2 SW2Fiddler, Nov 2, 2015
    Wonder if CBS had to produce something new, in order to retain their hold on Star Trek licensing*. The group making the (Kickstarted) "Axanar" feature film, can't release it in the normal way because CBS holds the rights to all things Star Trek.

*This is why there was another Spider-Man movie rebooted all of a sudden...

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Produced by Alex Kurtzman :cursing:

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Rob, I also saw that announcement this morning and suffered a "nerdgasm" [emoji6]. Sure hope they get good writers and come up with some original characters. Hey, how about the Vulcan son of Spock? That could be "fascinating".
    I am a member of the original Star Trek fan base, and can distinctly remember watching the first broadcast episode in 1966

5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

#5 Rockster, Nov 2, 2015
    I've been watching Star Trek since its first run, though I didn't see it until '68. I'm in for anything Star Trek.

I must admit that I still have lingering bitterness over them pulling the plug on "Enterprise," just as it was really finding its legs. And the horrid final episode stung worst of all.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Rick Berman turns 70 next month.

He is watching CBS shows not producing for them two years from now.

I think Kurtzman knows A) 2 hr Trek movies are plot driven B) Though Trek series are primarily episodic they have an overall serialized arc that is character driven.

7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

To tell the truth, I've never been a STNG and offshoots fan. Babylon 5 > STNG.

8. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I just hope it is not a moronic disaster like the Enterprise Series or the Voyager Series. I love Star Trek but couldn't stand the idiocy of those two series.

The Next Generation developed really well and Picard make for an exceptional captain. Scott Bakula as the captain of Enterprise seemed like a clown by comparison.

9. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

TNG will be hard too top, but here's to a great 2017!

10. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Voyager and Deep Space Nine were mediocre.

Enterprise was mediocre than got good the last season and a half.

TNG started off very poor, got mediocre quick and ended nominated for 58 Emmys and winning 19. Plus 2 Hugo Awards

Never watched Babylon 5.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

12. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

The producers who took over after Gene Rodenbury died lost the vision. Star Trek was so popular because Rodenbury was a optimist about the future. He painted a future where the problems of the world in the 1960s had been solved Earth was mostly at peace. TNG started off with some horrible writing, but the same vision. They got better writers and started to get the fans back. Deep Space 9 was supposed to be a show about a space station holding together a fragile peace on the edge of the Federation. When Rodenbury died, the new producers were more dystopian and Trek went into that direction with wars and slews of problems rather than optimism.

Enterprise got some new writers half way through who were fans of the original series who did a decent job cleaning up the inconsistencies between Enterprise and TOS and bringing back the optimism, but by the time they hit their stride, the audience had already tuned out.

I initially didn't see Babylon 5, but watched it on DVD not long after we got Netflix. It was the second show I ever binge watched (the first was The Prisoner when someone loaned me the tapes for a weekend only). It was surprisingly good.

13. .ModelXD.

.ModelXD. Member

Interesting, something to look forward to!

I feel like I've gotten to the point where I've seen every sci-fi series that netflix offers so I need this in my life!