Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Star Trek TV Series in 2017(Nerdgasm Alert!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here watching The Orville? My wife and I love it. It's been described as a spoof of ST, but that's really not accurate: it's a ST-inspired vision of the future in which humans are still humans. We don't all evolve into politically correct perfection, nor do we slide into authoritarian dystopia. We're still us, but with better hardware.

Sorry Orville sucks. It's neither good SciFi nor funny which is odd because the family Guy guy is fricken usually really funny and clever and raunchy.

If you want funny and terrible SciFi, try red dwarf. 10 seasons+ 8 episodes each. You will thank me.

If you want good SciFi that is also funny, try Farscape. To me it's the most original non star trek SciFi in years. I know it's Jim Henson and lots of puppets, but Yoda was a puppet too and he will kick your ass.

Edit: p.s. love the new Star trek. Had very low hopes for it, but it's pretty good.

P.s.s. little known fact. The white Michael Myers mask from Halloween is actually William Shatner.. Aka Kirk. The white mask was made from a mold of Shatner's face used to make him look old in that episode where they are aging quickly. Makeup artist would take a plaster cast of a person's face to create the prosthetics that are glued to the actors face. A good friend of mine, recently passed, had an original casting from the show and he would make and sell Michael Myers masks from it. They couldn't stop him because he would claim there where Shatner masks. Haha.

Last edited:
I also like the new Star Trek Discovery. I believe it still holds true to many of the themes of a Star Trek, but feels interestingly authentic and original. While I love the old stuff, It actually makes ST TNG, Voyager etc look one dimensional. Entertaining, absolutely but in this day and age, we want our ScIFI to be a plausible extention of where we are today.

So far I like The Orville through the first three episodes. I have two on my DVR.

I don't recommend 15+ year old TV shows. They are a known work.

If someone wanted to watch it they already would have.

Of all the "mutant" tv shows I like Legion on FX cable network.

A unique take on the genre.

Anyone here watching The Orville? My wife and I love it. It's been described as a spoof of ST, but that's really not accurate: it's a ST-inspired vision of the future in which humans are still humans. We don't all evolve into politically correct perfection, nor do we slide into authoritarian dystopia. We're still us, but with better hardware.

I've intended to check it out, it's on the DVR, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Sorry Orville sucks. It's neither good SciFi nor funny which is odd because the family Guy guy is fricken usually really funny and clever and raunchy.

If you want funny and terrible SciFi, try red dwarf. 10 seasons+ 8 episodes each. You will thank me.

If you want good SciFi that is also funny, try Farscape. To me it's the most original non star trek SciFi in years. I know it's Jim Henson and lots of puppets, but Yoda was a puppet too and he will kick your ass.

Edit: p.s. love the new Star trek. Had very low hopes for it, but it's pretty good.

P.s.s. little known fact. The white Michael Myers mask from Halloween is actually William Shatner.. Aka Kirk. The white mask was made from a mold of Shatner's face used to make him look old in that episode where they are aging quickly. Makeup artist would take a plaster cast of a person's face to create the prosthetics that are glued to the actors face. A good friend of mine, recently passed, had an original casting from the show and he would make and sell Michael Myers masks from it. They couldn't stop him because he would claim there where Shatner masks. Haha.

We saw Fascape back when it was running, and Babylon 5 was great too, but as @RobStark said, there is a certain datedness to those programs now. Modern special effects are so much better now. Compared to the other Star Treks, Discovery is cinematic in its graphics. I think the show is intended for giant TV screens.

I came here to suggest the Orville too! I have been watching both Discover and the Orville. I must say that I'm enjoying the Orville more. Really hope it gets renewed for more seasons.

For those outside the US and Canada, the show's on Netflix in 188 countries within 24 hours of when it shows up on CBS All Access:
How To Watch Star Trek: Discovery On CBS All Access - CBS.com
'Star Trek: Discovery' on Netflix? Here's Where to Watch It | Inverse

Leslie Moonves Talks ‘Star Trek’ Profit, Netflix, Political Advertising and NFL Streaming says
The price Netflix paid for the new “Star Trek: Discovery” series (sight unseen as the show went straight to series) will cover the show’s production costs.

“I go to bed at night a lot happier knowing that ‘Star Trek’ is 100 percent paid for before it goes on our All Access service,” Moonves said.

I watched the video at Watch: Inventor Of Klingon Language Discusses New Words Created For ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ within the past few weeks and glanced at https://www.kli.org/about-klingon/new-klingon-words/datemodified/. I'd heard of https://www.kli.org/ but didn't realize it was actually a real thing w/events and an actively maintained lexicon.