Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Star Trek TV Series in 2017(Nerdgasm Alert!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^
I've watched a few eps of https://www.startrekcontinues.com/ and intend to watch most/all of them. Was really cool that they got the actor who played Apollo to play Apollo again in ep 1.

For ep 3, the evil mirror universe ep, it was amazing they got an actress (Asia De Marcos - IMDb) who looks very similar to Marlena Moreau (mirror) at the time she was starring in the ep. Has been pretty cool they've gotten various actors from other sci-fi (and some from Trek) to be in it: Star Trek Continues.

'Star Trek: Discovery' releases first photos from mysterious season 3 has a trailer for 6 more Short Treks. Those who enjoyed TOS should totally get all the references.

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month.(wah wah wah waaaah) CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Top 5 Tech Trends in Education | Life in a Break Down

I really want to watch a new Star Trek series. Don't know how I feel about $6 per month plus having to watch "limited commercials." There is nothing else I would want to watch on CBS All Access. It is hard to get used to the idea of paying for something your are accustom to getting for free.

Evidently the economics don't work out for public broadcast where all the advertisers are chasing the 18-49 demographic or 12-35 demographic. Star Trek's fan base is overwhelmingly 40-75. Evidently, they don't care how old the person is who is paying $6 though.

As I have already tried to watch it, I must say it is rather interesting to move forward. Anywhere else, as well.

With no new content being made for TV right now the networks are scrambling for stuff to air this fall. Airing is on CBS when there is little else one might help build an audience for the show.

Speaking of ST series, All Access has a new show that is animated Below Decks. I don't think it's great, but it is ST.

Disco season 3, ep 1 became available on CBS All Access in the US on 10/15. For rest of world outside US and Canada it became available on Netflix around 10/16.

I've watched that ep already.

Season 1 of Disco airing on CBS has apparently been getting pretty terrible (Nielsen) ratings.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
Disco season 3, ep 1 became available on CBS All Access in the US on 10/15. For rest of world outside US and Canada it became available on Netflix around 10/16.

I've watched that ep already.

Season 1 of Disco airing on CBS has apparently been getting pretty terrible (Nielsen) ratings.

Season 1 was not great. It started getting somewhat better in Season 2.

The Anson Mount as Captain Pike storyline was interesting enough that they are spinning that off into a new series called Brave New Worlds. So at some point in the next year or two there will be 4 Star Trek shows in production at the same time: Discovery, Picard, Below Decks, and Strange New Worlds.

Reactions: cwerdna
Probably only applicable for those in the US:
Paramount+ Launches With Free Episodes, A Star Trek Marathon, And Free Month Offer
Free episodes of original series, including Star Trek

On launch day, Paramount+ made the first episodes of their original series available for free, including the pilots of Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Lower Decks. You can watch them via Amazon or Apple TV apps, or on YouTube.
Today Paramount+ launched with a new one-month free promotion. To sign up, click here and use the code MOUNTAIN. Offer ends 3/31/21.
The above is the new branding for what was formerly known as CBS All Access.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
I think this thread has been sort of a clearing house for all things Star Trek. It appears CBS All Access runs the new series back to back starting late summer. Lower Decks is running right now. Strange New Worlds sounds like it could be good. The arc with the Pike era Enterprise was supposed to just be one season on Discovery, but it's becoming its own series thanks to fan input as well as the cast approaching CBS saying they were up for a series.

Reactions: cwerdna
I don't care about Lower Decks. I don't care about Prodigy.

I will continue watching Disco and Picard show when new eps come out. I am looking forward to Strange New Worlds. Anson Mount did a pretty good job as Pike and there are potentially many compelling gaps to fill in with Pike, Spock and all prior to Kirk somehow being in command of the Enterprise.

I do wonder if/when Trek will hit franchise fatigue again or will Paramount keep pumping out Trek in order to have content for Paramount+ and to have content to license to others (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

I don't care about Lower Decks. I don't care about Prodigy.

I will continue watching Disco and Picard show when new eps come out. I am looking forward to Strange New Worlds. Anson Mount did a pretty good job as Pike and there are potentially many compelling gaps to fill in with Pike, Spock and all prior to Kirk somehow being in command of the Enterprise.

I do wonder if/when Trek will hit franchise fatigue again or will Paramount keep pumping out Trek in order to have content for Paramount+ and to have content to license to others (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Lower Decks is kind of dumb, but they do have a fair number of inside jokes that people familiar with the canon might find humorous.

The Star Trek franchise is also painfully aware that their audience is aging. Most fans are Boomers or Gen X. Prodigy is aimed at getting young kids interested in the franchise.

Because most of the fans are over 50, Star Trek can't survive on commercial TV today. Advertisers want an audience between 25 and 50 and pay a lot less for ads that appeal to an older audience. A lot of shows that appeal to older audiences are going to streaming services because the service already has their money no matter what their age.

I first noticed this when Longmire was canceled by A&E (or one of those cable channels) and picked up immediately by Amazon. It had a strong audience, but most were older. The same thing happened to the SciFi channel show The Expanse.

CBS/Paramount saw a strong fan base for Star Trek, but most were older so they used Discovery as the anchor program for their streaming service CBS All Access (rebranded to Paramount+).

When Viacom split in 2006 the ownership of the Star Trek rights were on the table. Les Moonves who became CEO of the new CBS wanted to bring Star Trek back to the small screen, but the head of Bad Robot wanted to reboot a movie franchise distributed by Paramount.

The deal worked out was that Bad Robot would have exclusive rights to a movie franchise spun off into an alternate universe from the original series for something like 10 years. After that CBS television had the rights to develop new series in the original universe. Moonves thought the Bad Robot films were doomed to fail and to a large extent they did. I thought the first movie was annoying. We saw the second movie and my first comment when it was over was I wanted that three hours of my life back. We never saw the third movie. I think it is the only Star Trek production I've never seen (though I've only watched a few of the fan created shows, and there are a lot of parodies I haven't seen, though I did see the Turkish Star Trek, which is bizarre).

Once Bad Robot's exclusive contract expired Moonves personally sheparded Discovery along. Discovery was his baby. When Moonves left the company in disgrace (many sexual harassment claims) it was thought Discovery would be canceled, but it lived on and now they have started spinning off series.