Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New stationary grid storage product from Tesla this year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nissan learning from Tesla:
At the 2015 Geneva Motor Show Nissan and Endesa, an Enel Group subsidiary, asigned a ground-breaking agreement that paves the way for a mass-market vehicle-to-grid (V2G) system. The two companies have pledged to work together to deliver a V2G system and an innovative business model designed to leverage this technology in the European markets.

Thanks for the update and link. Pretty bare bones on the actual program details...

New U.S. Energy Storage Monitor report out from GTM Research and the Energy Storage Association (ESA).
They forecast the USA to deploy 220 megawatts in 2015, more than three times its 2014 total, and growth should continue at a rapid clip thereafter.
storage_monitor_forecast_2015.png

Additional report from greentechmedia.

New U.S. Energy Storage Monitor report out from GTM Research and the Energy Storage Association (ESA).
They forecast the USA to deploy 220 megawatts in 2015, more than three times its 2014 total, and growth should continue at a rapid clip thereafter.
View attachment 74087
Additional report from greentechmedia.

Great post. I looked up some of the companies within the chart, and this is the service that I believe Tesla will be offering.

JLM Energy, Inc.

Can't say I agree with all their product name'z'...

"Gridz is capable of optimally harvesting energy from PV solar, wind turbines, and the grid, storing this energy in batteries and then redistributing the energy to specified loads in a manner that optimizes the energy and power consumption of the building. Gridz reduces peak demands regardless of what time of day they occur. System designers and operators program the maximum allowable energy demand on a monthly basis. Gridz charges the system batteries during periods of low energy consumption and discharges the batteries once demand exceeds the specified levels."

no, they were talking about how many days the 85kWh battery could power a house. They weren't confusing instantaneous power with power over time, they were just leaving off the h for both the battery and the house.

I think it would be reasonable to assume I could get several days of backup power out of a 85kWh Model S if my grid power were down for a few days. I average 30 kWh/day usage but I'd throttle down some unneeded use in an outage.

Absolutely. I run about 40 to 50 kWh a day just for the home, depending on appliances used and miles driven on the Model S. Today I used 27.5 KWh on the car alone going to/from work, and that (plus abut 15% efficiency loss) adds to the other home usage. If running on home battery storage, people would definitely need to limit things like running electric clothes dryers, microwaves, and maybe scaling back heating and cooling. For a non-Tesla (or any all electric) home, 85 kWh could potentially last several days easy. But when you need to actually use the car, you need to know that it, too, can get a charge.

I think that a 100 kWh home storage battery is minimum ideal to make it through a several day power outage. On the other hand, home solar would have to be taken into account in the hopes that at least every other day might be a good recharge day for the home battery storage.

This site states a scenario where an individual could "get a 10-kWh Tesla battery (to power the refrigerator, lights, etc. in a power outage) under a 10-year lease for a $1500 upfront cost + $15/month." At these rates, a 100 kWh system would be an enormous investment. Assuming the Gigafactory brings these prices down by a third, that's still $10K down and $100 a month for 10 years. Would the peace of mind be worth such a price? Maybe...

I don't see how providing battery storage to private homes is a significant market. At least here in MA, time based metering is only available if you average over 2500 kWh per month which is a lot. Are there so many areas where TOU metering is available that time shifting makes sense for private houses? For solar, I'd think that net metering or even something close to it would be more practical.

I don't see how providing battery storage to private homes is a significant market. At least here in MA, time based metering is only available if you average over 2500 kWh per month which is a lot. Are there so many areas where TOU metering is available that time shifting makes sense for private houses? For solar, I'd think that net metering or even something close to it would be more practical.

Becomes viable when the utilities start charging $200 or more per month for a connection to the grid with solar! This figure has already been proposed in AZ.

The answer is yes, especially in areas with sun, because they're the ones with the big variation between day and night demand. And CA wants storage. The only problem is utilities, which will oppose it, even though it should be supported.. Well, municipal utilities could be happy. Certainly would help in places like Hawaii, where solar is bumping up against limits.

In CA there is a large difference between peak and off peak pricing , so it could work there. And CA's big.

Where I am, I cannot practically use net metering because I buy at $.12/kWh and sell back at $0.03. I have zero economic incentive to produce more than consumed. I would LOVE a tesla home pack. I have actually been waiting for this very thing to install solar at all.

A couple years back a huge area of Massachusetts was without grid electricity for up to two weeks (some even more, I think) due to a bad winter storm. I made out okay for my week without power because I have the know-how to wire my generator into my FiOS, my TV and entertainment devices, my refrigerator, and most importantly to my furnace and hot water heater.

Now I have solar but guess what -- if the grid is down, so is the solar to prevent power being fed back into grid and creating safety issue outside the home. I didn't have solar at that time, but even if I did it wouldn't have helped me. With solar plus home storage batteries that all plays out completely differently and I could probably have not needed to hook up my generator at all.

For me, home storage is a no-brainer, especially considering I have a car that requires electricity. The Tesla uses about 26 to 30 kW on days I drive to work, so I need easily that much storage plus my solar to have complete peace of mind.

But even for homes without solar, the ability to limp through a few days on home storage systems still seems like a huge plus, even if only refrigerator, furnace and hot water heater were connected. This is enough to literally save lives.

The new CSS/Chademo charger in downtown St Pete at USF is run by a Tesla Solar/Battery storage solution ! I talked to a tech guy, it has a 500KW battery system !

I am pretty sure that Elon's new Tesla non car product will be some sort of solar/storage system.

While I'm willing to bet a tenth of my $TSLA holdings that the April 30 announcement will be about stationary storage, I'd wager a (much smaller) amount that what we see is significantly evolved from what's already sitting in people's homes.

I'd make a significant bet that this is exactly what the announcement is. It's what I've been predicting for two months. This isn't common knowledge to most. This is only available to a very small amount of consumers. I'm surprised this person leaked the information though. I imagine they've signed documents where they're not allowed to do so.