Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New steering wheel vs leather one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that's true than I must have leather-free as I have a 7/19 production car. It does feel different than my other vehicles with real leather steering wheels.
Having owned both, he big differences to me are the texture and the addition of 'thumb bumps' around 10-2 on the steering wheel. The texture is less smooth and has visible texture. The bumps weren't there on the leather wheel.

We have both two Model 3s, one with leather and one without. Honestly, I drove about 500 miles last weekend before someone pointed out that we now had the non-leather steering wheel. I like how it feels. I've felt the same soft/smoothness elsewhere in the car but will have to poke around to see what surface matches the texture.

Old Wheel
umh2iluxvlb11.jpg

New Wheel
EDVdpXBU8AEoIdr.jpg

Thumb bumps are more prominent and also I forgot to mention the stitching is different on the new wheel.

Now PETA will go after the glues used to hold on the wheel material and in the adhesives in the tires! Pity the poor cow with no life to live.

Hi fellow internet person. We’re trying to have a conversation. I know the whole Vegan thing is big and scary but I promise, Vegans are not coming for your bacon...in fact you get more because they’re not eating it.

My wife is Vegan and has been for 6 years, it works for her and I’m a meat eater, it works for me. Somehow we both live together in decent harmony most days. I’m here to figure out how to identify the wheel so we can find it on the lot or order it for her Model 3. I own a Model 3 and don’t mind which wheel I have but it’s important to her so if you don’t have any helpful information most of us would appreciate that you not comment.

Thank you.

My apology, not a personal attack on you, your wife, your extended family or even vegans in general. I don't really care what they eat or don't. I just came from a MB and find leather on the wheel and seats of the Tesla cheap feeling. I can't say switching from natural materials to ones make from chemicals are better.

Maybe I’m missing something. Why would you pay $600 to swap for the vegan wheel? The leather wheel has already been produced, it’s not like you are saving a cow. I can’t imagine it feels that much different. Now if it were heated that’s a different story...

I asked this question of another poster, they liked being able to say the vehicle is leather free, thus showing it is not a necessity. No need for a caveat, ala 'it can be leather free, but mine isn't'.

Just got my M3P and am a die-hard meat-eating leather-loving beast and I gotta say...I prefer the new seat and steering wheel materials over leather. I never thought I’d say that, but these materials are simply better. The steering wheel in particular is just better than leather, it’s that simple. There are no flaws, or grain, or anything. Just an even, matte, precision look. Feels great, looks really cool. I’m surprised.