Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New steering wheel vs leather one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I’m missing something. Why would you pay $600 to swap for the vegan wheel? The leather wheel has already been produced, it’s not like you are saving a cow. I can’t imagine it feels that much different. Now if it were heated that’s a different story...
I guess some people are philosophically opposed to owning/handling animal-based products even though they may have already owned that product for some time and, thus, are not acquiring a new animal product?

I have a family friend who became vegan years ago and, at the time, she said would keep leather purses already in her possession, but would not purchase any new ones. Over the years, she's maintained and refined her strict vegan lifestyle, but I don't know if she's altered her initial stance on pre-existing leather products. A couple of years ago, she expressed passing interest in the Model 3 because the showroom rep told her the car was vegan. I had to caution her that the steering wheel and possibly some adhesive products were not. When she starts looking for a new car again, I can give the good news that the steering wheel is no longer leather.

I don't know how the new (non-leather) one feels, but I think the old (leather) one feels "hard" to me, like pleather/vinyl and unlike other leather wheels I've had which felt more "soft" and pliable. It would be ironic if the non-leather wheel feels more like real leather. ;)

So any consensus about the Vegan wheel? Has anyone confirmed that’s what’s coming off the line or I guess more importantly for my purposes, can it be replaced after delivery? We’re about to buy another Model 3 and this one we want full leather-free.