Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New stop sign and green light features in 2020.36 for FSD only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S has Enhanced Autopilot and the MCU2/FSD computer upgrade.

I got 2020.36.3.1 this morning and I was expecting to see some of the features listed here e.g. Autosteer Stop Sign and Stop Light Warning and Green Traffic Light Chime.

Instead my release notes only mention Speed Assist Improvements. And I didn't notice anything on a quick drive.

Did they lock those other features behind the FSD paywall? Seems pretty shitty since they are clearly not FSD related.

• Disagree
Reactions: srk67 and MP3Mike

I got 2020.36.3.1 this morning and I was expecting to see some of the features listed here e.g. Autosteer Stop Sign and Stop Light Warning and Green Traffic Light Chime.

Instead my release notes only mention Speed Assist Improvements. And I didn't notice anything on a quick drive.

Did they lock those other features behind the FSD paywall? Seems pretty shitty since they are clearly not FSD related.

You got a free hw3 you shouldn't have gotten and are bitching about not getting more free stuff?

Wow. If you want it, pay.

You got a free hw3 you shouldn't have gotten

Yeah, I stole that CPU right under Tesla's nose. :rolleyes:

They features you’re talking about are obviously related to “autosteer on city streets”, which is pretty clearly a FSD feature.

How so? Plenty of highways with traffic lights on them here. I have no need for autosteer on city streets but I use it all the time on highways.

The release notes don't say "FSD Stop Sign and Stop Light Warning", they say "Autosteer Stop Sign and Stop Light Warning". I paid $3000 for Autosteer as part of EAP. I know, I should be used to Tesla's terrible communication style at this point. At least that has been consistent.

I guess I could pay $5000 for FSD if I had more than zero confidence Elon will ever deliver it. :D

I think there are two big reasons behind this.

1. People who are paying for FSD want to have features exclusive to them and Tesla wants to give more incentives to get people to buy FSD.

2. I think the main reason is because people who are on autopilot are probably not following the rules as often, they might be checking their phone, talking to a friend, browsing on the tesla screen, or anything else. You still need to tell the car it can go when the light goes green and i'm assuming that Tesla drivers were probably taking longer at intersections because FSD customers aren't as focused. This will really help when we get to Level 3 FSD because we won't actually be required to pay attention, I expect that the car will be able to go on green without us telling it to but who knows. So this could just be one more step forward towards preparing the cars and drivers for Level 3.

Also if you don't have FSD, I would consider getting it soon. When that rewrite hits, I'm expecting Level 3 to be legal in some situations such as traffic jams and then maybe highways soon after. I also expect probably the biggest price increase for FSD to hit once Level 3 is legal in any situation.

Also if you don't have FSD, I would consider getting it soon. When that rewrite hits, I'm expecting Level 3 to be legal in some situations such as traffic jams and then maybe highways soon after.

You really believe Tesla are going to pull off any decent simulacrum of FSD? My car can barely complete self parking or summon consistently. Autopilot is cool, and Navigate on Autopilot is mostly usable after a year or so but it's a rare trip where NoA can make 100% correct decisions about lanes etc.

I love my car, but I don't believe the FSD pipedream. You may be new to the forum but Elon has been promising FSD since 2016 and has missed every FSD milestone I can remember. FSD ready hardware on all cars in 2016, the FSD cross country drive in 2017, FSD feature complete in 2019 and Robotaxi in 2020. And probably several other promises I have forgotten.

I'm expecting he will wheel out even more promises at Battery Day. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

• Love
Reactions: GoBeavs and ucmndd
On the contrary, I’d say if you’ve managed to hold off this long, you’re way ahead and should stay that way.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I actually have very little need for the full FSD package. My wife doesn't drive, so the only scenario in which FSD might be useful is full Level 5 autonomy and that's just not going to happen for many years. The phantom braking in AP has her freaked out enough as it is. :D

You really believe Tesla are going to pull off any decent simulacrum of FSD? My car can barely complete self parking or summon consistently. Autopilot is cool, and Navigate on Autopilot is mostly usable after a year or so but it's a rare trip where NoA can make 100% correct decisions about lanes etc.

I love my car, but I don't believe the FSD pipedream. You may be new to the forum but Elon has been promising FSD since 2016 and has missed every FSD milestone I can remember. FSD ready hardware on all cars in 2016, the FSD cross country drive in 2017, FSD feature complete in 2019 and Robotaxi in 2020. And probably several other promises I have forgotten.

I'm expecting he will wheel out even more promises at Battery Day. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Well when it comes to self parking and smart summon, those are still new features that are being updated. You said summon though which I've never seen a problem with summon unless a car is going into a really really tight space, which I won't blame on the car because it has to ignore a bunch of sensor warnings to get inside.

As for level 5, yeah I don't see level 5 happening immediately and it will probably be longer than next year. As for level 3, i'm basing my opinions off of the success that Tesla has had in an amazing level 2 system. If the rewrite is even half as good as Elon is claiming, I could see level 3 capabilities on highways by next year, or at the very least level 3 in traffic jam traffic below a certain speed. Also it's not just Elon making these promises anymore; Rivian and Mercedes are claiming their vehicles are level 3 capable, not that they will be, they are saying that they are. I personally don't fully take them on their word considering their systems haven't been tested anywhere near as Tesla's system has been, but I do believe that we are getting very close and I believe Tesla will be first.

However, I'm not really saying to buy FSD, i was just stating my opinion.

As an interesting aside, I did notice that enabling the green light chime causes it to function even when not using autopilot in the car. For example, if I am just driving on my own and a light I am stopped at turns green, the car will chime. This is immensely useful and I am glad it's working the way it is.

Of course, this means it obviously doesn't need to be tied to FSD but my guess is the option will not appear on the AP settings screen at all unless you have FSD already.

Well when it comes to self parking and smart summon, those are still new features that are being updated.

Based on my personal experience and what I've read online, self parking and smart summon seem more like features that Tesla deployed and then abandoned. Smart summon has never worked properly for me, and I see self parking prompts in freeway traffic jams more than I do in actual parking lots.

Re Level 3 autonomy, Rivian has yet to ship a single vehicle. Mercedes claim Level 3 autonomy is coming on their flagship S Class in "late 2021". I'll believe it when I see it.

I will leave you with this Elon quote from Feb 19, 2019.

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk said he is "certain" that Tesla vehicles will be able to operate without any driver intervention by the end of this year, pending regulatory approval, during an interview with ARK Invest.

"I think we will be feature-complete full self-driving this year, meaning the car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up, take you all the way to your destination without an intervention — this year. I would say that I am certain of that. That is not a question mark," Musk said."

Last edited:
You've already said you don't have FSD, and now smart summon won't work for you. Isn't that a full self drive feature?

Also the self park is shown at low speeds, when space between two cars is present. Yes that can happen in a traffic jam and seems like it could be fixed very easily with an update. It's not that it's abandoned, it needs lots of data to improve. The way you describe it makes it seems Tesla released a feature and just moves on, and if you do think that, why ever support Tesla? There are cheaper EV's out there, the charging network for all of them is expanding, and you don't need to worry about the software.