Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Store in Montgomery Mall, Bethesda Md

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone going to the new store (gallery) at Montgomery Mall this weekend. Looks like it just opened. Nice to see one in Md. I hope their chargers are open too.

montmallhero_498_469.png

I visited the new space this morning. Similar in size and layout to the Tysons Tesla Gallery.

The manager is Julia Sendor, who has moved up from the K Street Tesla Store.

They're calling this a soft opening, ramping up over the weekend, and starting test drives next week.

There are six (realistically five) Tesla spaces in the first level of the parking garage near Sears:

- 2 Model S HPWCs
- 4 NEMA 14-50 outlets
- 0 Roadster HPCs :-(

I visited the new space this morning. Similar in size and layout to the Tysons Tesla Gallery.

The manager is Julia Sendor, who has moved up from the K Street Tesla Store.

They're calling this a soft opening, ramping up over the weekend, and starting test drives next week.

There are six (realistically five) Tesla spaces in the first level of the parking garage near Sears:

- 2 Model S HPWCs
- 4 NEMA 14-50 outlets
- 0 Roadster HPCs :-(

Awesome. I plan on checking it out tonight

Hey, why didn't they e-mail me? ;-( Anyway, the gallery (not store) page on Tesla's site is odd. It has hours for Mon-Fri and Sun. I suspect they're also open on Saturday, though, so I'm going to check it out. Interesting that they have 14-50 outlets as well as HPWCs.

The other weird thing (kinda dumb) is that it lists the closest service center as Norristown, which apparently is in/around Philly. Uh, no. I'm pretty sure Rockvill's closer to Bethesda than freaking Philly is. . . . ;-)

Anyway, thanks for posting about this! :-D

Is anyone going to the new store (gallery) at Montgomery Mall this weekend. Looks like it just opened. Nice to see one in Md. I hope their chargers are open too.

montmallhero_498_469.png

Heh, I gotta chuckle. Having grown up in Bethesda, MD and gone to Monkey Mall (what we used to call it, back when it had this huge 60s style "M" logo) thousands of times over 20+ years, to see the photo Tesla chose to highlight the mall (dig the ocean in the background!) is rather humorous. Montgomery Mall is about as landlocked as you can get. You can take Tesla out of California but you can't take California out of Tesla. :)

Nice to see a Tesla store in my old stomping grounds.

Heh, I gotta chuckle. Having grown up in Bethesda, MD and gone to Monkey Mall (what we used to call it, back when it had this huge 60s style "M" logo) thousands of times over 20+ years, to see the photo Tesla chose to highlight the mall (dig the ocean in the background!) is rather humorous. Montgomery Mall is about as landlocked as you can get. You can take Tesla out of California but you can't take California out of Tesla. :)

Nice to see a Tesla store in my old stomping grounds.

Hey brianstorms, I grew up in Rockville, and yeah, Ocean City is pretty far from Monkey Mall ;-)

Some of us locals still call it Monkey Mall :)
And I am also bummed they didn't announce the opening - has anybody figured out if they will have any of the same rules that Tyson's had about what they can and cannot say? If so, let's plan a meetup similar to Tyson's - I am sure the Toyota dealership behind the mall will appreciate that - lol

I went to the gallery (i.e. store) last night. The HPWCs were taken up by the demos so I charged at a 14-50. Yes you do see a RAV4 EV there. First time I've seen one. It had a Tesla card on the dash, so they must have had permission from the store to park there. The employees were great (as in other galleries), for most of them this was their first day with potential customers.

They were so excited to hear about the RIR event.

Turns out they don't have a 'dealers' license yet, so they could not talk about the price of the car, etc, but had to refer people to the website. I, of course volunteered myself and I spoke at length with a very interested potential buyer about the S. Hopefully it will lead to a sale. It sounded like they should get the license soon, so this should only be temporary. If anyone wants to go by the store, I'm sure they wouldn't mind other owners talking to potential customers.

We definitely need a meet-up there soon. I am out of town next weekend, but perhaps the weekend of 8/24?
IMG_0234.JPG

Nice pic Ven Rala! I would like to get a pic of the Model S flanked by the Tesla powered RAV4-EV and the Tesla powered Mercedes B-Class. I can't wait to see the MM gallery, but first I will stop at TYC Gallery for an hour to help inform any potential buyers.

Turns out they don't have a 'dealers' license yet, so they could not talk about the price of the car, etc, but had to refer people to the website. I, of course volunteered myself and I spoke at length with a very interested potential buyer about the S.

Interesting. Imagine if all the stores/galleries in states where Tesla employees are gagged by law from talking about their cars, had volunteer owners in those states come by and answer the questions for prospective customers instead!

I also stopped by the store today. They are open 7 days/week and they know that the website has the wrong info for "closest service center." Two HPWCs and 4 14/50 plugs. I spoke to a ton of people inside the store. Julia said that although they have a PC in the back, they can't leave the "configure your own" page up, but I was able to go online and figure out what current prices are. Spoke to a lot of people who seem really interested. The employees were really psyched to have an owner stop by and talk to people and they said they'd had quite a few stop by already.
Everyone was also very interested in the iPhone app and plugshare.
Also, they mentioned they're going to start doing test drives on Monday :) There were 3 Teslas there charging when I was stopped by.
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG

I even talked to another family as I took these pix. The charging area is in the garage opposite Nordstrom's on the ground level, so it's really very convenient and easy to find - not hidden in the back or on some lower-than-dirt level.

Instructions Tesla provides are pretty clear that ground is up. Does that make it upside down? The two I have used worked out correctly so I never thought about it.
if you provided directions to electrician and they didn't follow them, I would think they would have to correct it.

Whoops looks like they installed that NEMA 14-50 upside down!

Yup, the neutral IS incorrectly in the "up" position AND it is placing unnecessary stress on the stranded charge cable at a connection point. I am guessing it is a Leviton receptacle device and EVEN the manufactures name is now upside-down. Electricians are so used to installing 15A and 20A duplex receptacles "upside-down" (ground in the "up" position) in commercial applications that they inadvertently orient all receptacles "upside-down".

Last edited: