Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Stores in the North East

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing really new here but this is a topic that certainly has the attention of the dealers association so you know they won't let it go.

Teslas transformation of automobile service stumbles in Massachussetts

"A recent Massachusetts law also places an interesting twist on Tesla's story about Transforming Automotive Service. The "Right to Repair Law," signed into "law in August by Gov. Patrick requires auto manufacturers to sell diagnostic and safety information required to service automobiles. This way car owners can repair their own cars, or can otherwise bring their car to the repair shop of their choosing. Clearly Tesla's "we'll take care of you" stance is going to run afoul of the Right to Repair law. They say you can tell who the pioneers are from the arrows sticking out of their backs. Indeed."

I'm not seeing the Right to Repair law as a particular problem for Tesla. All OEMs are required to sell diagnostic tools and diagnostic information (e.g. meaning of status codes) at a "reasonable cost". OEMs charge their dealers something for this stuff, so the requirement is effectively an anti-discrimination clause for third-party repair shops. Tesla doesn't sell this stuff to anyone, however, so law enforcement agencies will necessarily give a much broader range of pricing to Tesla.

Moreover, this law was not really targeted at individuals seeking to repair their cars, but rather to third-party repair shops who want to compete with the dealers. I think it will be quite some time before any independent repair shop sees a business in repair Model S.

I'm not seeing the Right to Repair law as a particular problem for Tesla. All OEMs are required to sell diagnostic tools and diagnostic information (e.g. meaning of status codes) at a "reasonable cost". OEMs charge their dealers something for this stuff, so the requirement is effectively an anti-discrimination clause for third-party repair shops. Tesla doesn't sell this stuff to anyone, however, so law enforcement agencies will necessarily give a much broader range of pricing to Tesla.

Moreover, this law was not really targeted at individuals seeking to repair their cars, but rather to third-party repair shops who want to compete with the dealers. I think it will be quite some time before any independent repair shop sees a business in repair Model S.

I agree this law is not a problem for Tesla and it actually makes me more motivated to buy their cars. You can be more confident that they won't put the screws to you if there is 3rd party competition. Although you wouldn't know that based on the cost of their annual service... I'm still irked that it's more than my Roadster. The Mass car dealerships are certainly giving them a run for their money though.

The private event is Thursday evening, according to the invite. Are there any charging stations in the mall? Getting there and back will be close in the ActiveE (90+ miles).