Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Stores in the North East

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because they are not a car dealership? ;)
Yes they are. You go to a car dealership to test drive a car and then purchase it. Just because you do the purchase via a website doesn't change anything, I used the screens in the Natick store to buy my Tesla so I even made my purchase was in the store, exactly as you would in a dealership. When I did my first test drive there they even put pressure on me to buy that day (I didn't, I did a second test drive in California on a real highway and then went back to the Natick store after they reopened after the temporary store closing and did one more test drive with my girlfriend). BTW when I bought my Volt in 2016 nobody pulled the how can I get you to buy a car today crap, not the Chrysler dealer, not the two Chevy dealers, not the Honda dealer, not the Audi dealer and not the Cadillac dealer. The only place that happened was at Tesla.

My point about Natick being a terrible place to do a test drive is the lack of highway access. Test drives are on Route 9 which is about the worst road I can think of for a test drive. Dedham is fine, it's right off of 128 which is a real highway. The legacy test drives I took were all off of Route 3 which is also a real highway. When you test drive a car you want to punch the accelerator, you can't do that on a crowded road like Route 9.

Reactions: Ron_M3
Yes they are. You go to a car dealership to test drive a car and then purchase it. Just because you do the purchase via a website doesn't change anything, I used the screens in the Natick store to buy my Tesla so I even made my purchase was in the store, exactly as you would in a dealership. When I did my first test drive there they even put pressure on me to buy that day (I didn't, I did a second test drive in California on a real highway and then went back to the Natick store after they reopened after the temporary store closing and did one more test drive with my girlfriend). BTW when I bought my Volt in 2016 nobody pulled the how can I get you to buy a car today crap, not the Chrysler dealer, not the two Chevy dealers, not the Honda dealer, not the Audi dealer and not the Cadillac dealer. The only place that happened was at Tesla.

My point about Natick being a terrible place to do a test drive is the lack of highway access. Test drives are on Route 9 which is about the worst road I can think of for a test drive. Dedham is fine, it's right off of 128 which is a real highway. The legacy test drives I took were all off of Route 3 which is also a real highway. When you test drive a car you want to punch the accelerator, you can't do that on a crowded road like Route 9.
I disagree on Natick being a bad location for Tesla sales.

Tesla is about getting people in the door, and what better place than a mall that has lots of foot traffic. Also, remember that from the Natick Mall there is easy access to the Mass Pike. I did my test drive and purchase out of Natick and that's what we did. Also test drove a M3P there as well (and also went out on the pike). And the Framingham supercharger is just down the road if trying that is something a customer wants to do as part of the evaluation experience. Dedham has superchargers too, but half the time they are probably full with pending deliveries and/or customers. Peabody does not have a supercharger (but isn't all that far from Lynnfield I admit).

Reactions: jlv1
Yes they are. You go to a car dealership to test drive a car and then purchase it.

Maybe you should look up the difference between a car dealership and a store. Hence my "wink".

I've had 5 test drives from the Natick sales store, going back to 2014. Four of the times we took the car on the Mass Pike. I don't know why you think there is a problem with highway access. But then again, I used to commute along Rte.9, passing in front of the Natick Mall twice a day, so I know the roads there quite well.

On our last test ride we took back roads because we wanted to take the Model X to our house and see how it fit in our garage, and we spent almost an hour seeing which side it was better in. I was worried about opening the FWD. When the associate opened the driver's side FWD and the bottom plastic molding hit the ladder stored on that side of the garage, I knew I didn't want the car over there.

FWIW, only in 2014 did they say "you should place your order today, do it here in the store" and we said "uh, no". It wasn't really pressure, but we weren't buying right then no matter what. I don't recall that happening on later test drives. And you can see by my signature that we choose a different EV at that time (because the earlier seats on the Model S caused the seat belts to sit uncomfortably on my wife).

Last edited:
Maybe you should look up the difference between a car dealership and a store. Hence my "wink".

I've had 5 test drives from the Natick sales store, going back to 2014. Four of the times we took the car on the Mass Pike. I don't know why you think there is a problem with highway access. But then again, I used to commute along Rte.9, passing in front of the Natick Mall twice a day, so I know the roads there quite well.

On our last test ride we took back roads because we wanted to take the Model X to our house and see how it fit in our garage, and we spent almost an hour seeing which side it was better in. I was worried about opening the FWD. When the associate opened the driver's side FWD and the bottom plastic molding hit the ladder stored on that side of the garage, I knew I didn't want the car over there.

FWIW, only in 2014 did they say "you should place your order today, do it here in the store" and we said "uh, no". It wasn't really pressure, but we weren't buying right then no matter what. I don't recall that happening on later test drives. And you can see by my signature that we choose a different EV at that time (because the earlier seats on the Model S caused the seat belts to sit uncomfortably on my wife).
It happened to me in 2018, it was the end of the 4th quarter and they were under pressure. It really surprised me because it didn't happen to me at any dealership that I went to in 2016. Back in the 20th century the how can I get you to buy this car today statement always happened, the standard response was "sell it to me for a dollar".

• Funny
Reactions: jlv1