Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New style Door handle broke after 3 months, Seems to be a calibration issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i had the Drivers side door handle on my 2015 P85d Replaced 3 months ago and today problems. So it originally would not extend, They replaced it with the newest model. All was well but today it will extend but do nothing when you pull on it. ARGGGG.

So i took the door panel off to inspect what was going on. Thinking a wire on a micro switch came loose but no. This is the newest style with no micro switches, It has a magnetic angle sensor that measure the travel and if you are pulling or pushing on it.

It seems what happened when i washed the car the water pressure around the door handle Forced the rubber inner cover off and it got chewed up in the gear that extends the door handle. It was wet with the rubber cover just hanging loose and a big rip where it got caught in the gear. This seems to have messed up the calibration from my best guess.

It seems the calibration is in the computer and somehow got messed up now it tries to over extend makes a whining noise and retracts slightly, But it will not move all the way in. It sits proud of the body by a 1/4 inch.

Does anyone know if i can calibrate it myself, Software recommendations?

Took a better look today, All the rubber is out of the door handle and nothing is broken.

It is acting erratic, It stoped presenting for a few days and the door would pop open as soon as the car was unlocked or put in park. Something is telling the computer to open the door and the handle would never extend. Once in drive it would stay shut.

Now today the door handle would extend and the door would pop it self open, Shut the door and and the handle would retract then pop it self back open. I had to HOLD the door shut and lock the car 3-4 times before it would stay closed.

It is just acting erratic, This handle was replaceds less than 3 months ago with the GEN 3.

Is there anything in the door striker that tells the door to open that might be malfunction?

This is the latest Gen 3 door handle BTW so no way for me to replace the micro switches.

Update, After a couple weeks of the handle going haywire, and struggle to lock the car without the door popping open, I removed the door panel to check if there is anything i can see wrong, unplugged the door control module harness and checked all the connections and the door is now working again.

No idea if it was a bad connection or if unplugging the door control module(new gen 3 one) reset the system. Either way lets see how log it last.

Reactions: Shiro
Update, After a couple weeks of the handle going haywire, and struggle to lock the car without the door popping open, I removed the door panel to check if there is anything i can see wrong, unplugged the door control module harness and checked all the connections and the door is now working again.

No idea if it was a bad connection or if unplugging the door control module(new gen 3 one) reset the system. Either way lets see how log it last.
Glad to hear it! Sounds like resetting it was the answer.

Everything still good?
I've been having the same issue with mine. I've had it apart a couple of times and can confirm its the Gen 3 (without micro switches). I did pull the control module off of the opposite door, put it on the problem door, and the problem handle acted the same. I switched everything back and reassembled both doors. Now the problem handle comes out when I unlock, get's stuck until I push it back in (I think this is my fault as it may not be completely aligned after I pulled everything apart).
Thanks in advance for any insight.