Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hudson, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Hudson Light and Power Open house today, and giving rides in my Model S 75D. I chatted with most of the HLP employees, and finally chatted with one who told me that Tesla is putting a Super Charger in Hudson, MA in the Highland Commons shopping center. It will be located behind Panera Bread!

The transformer being put in is a 750 kVA transformer, but the person did not know if the super charger is 8 or 12 ports. I will give him a call early next week and find out the number of ports.

From what he said, Tesla really wants to get this one done, and will start installing in January 2019. The good thing is that in Hudson, MA we have an incredible municipal light and power company who has great service. The local utility will not be the gating factor!

I would guess they want to put it in Hudson because our rates are so much lower than surrounding towns, and it is right off of route 495 at route 62. So it is convenient to people driving from Auburn to points north on 290 to 495. You could skip the auburn charger and go to Hudson instead.

...And it is behind a Panera!

That's a good location to increase flexibility in travel to/from Northeast New England.
Auburn is 78 miles from Seabrook, NH, and 86 miles from Hooksett, so putting in Hudson, MA to split those gaps is going to make travel along that corridor easier, particularly in different seasons.

I was at the Hudson Light and Power Open house today, and giving rides in my Model S 75D. I chatted with most of the HLP employees, and finally chatted with one who told me that Tesla is putting a Super Charger in Hudson, MA in the Highland Commons shopping center. It will be located behind Panera Bread!

The transformer being put in is a 750 kVA transformer, but the person did not know if the super charger is 8 or 12 ports. I will give him a call early next week and find out the number of ports.

From what he said, Tesla really wants to get this one done, and will start installing in January 2019. The good thing is that in Hudson, MA we have an incredible municipal light and power company who has great service. The local utility will not be the gating factor!

I would guess they want to put it in Hudson because our rates are so much lower than surrounding towns, and it is right off of route 495 at route 62. So it is convenient to people driving from Auburn to points north on 290 to 495. You could skip the auburn charger and go to Hudson instead.

very nice. always good to have an "oh S...." SC close by in case you have to head out of town on short notice. Leominster is my current one, but Hudson would allow me to have Leominster available for points North of me, and Hudson for points south and/or Boston...charge up, then get on the Pike.

great news.

Reactions: chjch
Of course it is. There's an unwritten rule that you can't install a Supercharger unless there's a Panera within walking distance. :D

I used to live ~10 min from there. The 110 Grill is a bit of a hike from the Supercharger, but good. Probably too far for a quick bite while charging. Market Basket also has a good selection of decent ready-to-go sandwiches and hot meals in their cafe (front of store, to the left). Lowe's is open until 10pm M-Sa for bathroom breaks if Panera is closed (or you need a 2x4 or two).

Reactions: linkster and chjch

Thanks so much for sharing that insight...My M3P will love those electrons and I agree with your assessment of the Hudson L&P!

There have been 8 new supercharger permits filed since last Wednesday with 52 now in the permitting phase. No surprise 5 are in California but Mass has 2 which is nice to see.
I wonder if there is any correlation with the expectation by many that Tesla will finally report a profit for Q3 and the capital outlay to ramp up supercharger stations? Wishful thinking perhaps!
Of course with the Model 3 ramp Tesla really doesn't have much choice.
supercharge.info

Just curious why would you use these local superchargers if you charge daily?

I charge to ~50-75% daily...but if I'm going on a trip and I'm down around 50, I'll supercharge ahead of time up to 80 before I go.

Leominster has 0 congestion problems at the moment.

I am starting a new job in the next few weeks with a Chargepoint that I may use on occasion, but there are only 2 stalls, and I don't yet know how early I need to be there to get one.

So this is the real location of the Marlborough SC that is listed as coming in 2019 on Tesla's map:
Find Us | Tesla
(the location selector at the end of the URL shows as "marlboroughmasupercharger"; I suspect that link will break in the future when the SC comes online, much like "natickmasupercharger" became "framinghammasupercharger").

This location is easy to get to, and has great access to route 495. Plus during the Panera's Business hours, there are bathrooms right there.

I Also think that Tesla decided to put it there because of Hudson's great electric rates!

Also it makes more sense to put it north of 290 because many people travel down 495, go west on 290, then out the Mass Pike to go to New York.