Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Super Chargers Should Have At Least One Pull-Through Stall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As more and more of us purchase the Towing package for our Tesla vehicles, we realize in order to charge with a trailer in tow one must either block other charging stalls or detach trailer before charging. I have seen photos of superchargers in Europe with many pull through stalls (see attached). They are opening a supercharger with 10 charging stalls in Town Center Shopping Center, Corner of Sunset Road & Las Vegas Blvd in Las Vegas. None of those stalls are drive-thru. This tells me it is not much of a priority for Tesla at this point. Those of us who plan to pull trailers with our Teslas should be speaking out. That is the only way they will listen to us and change the SC design. I would be happy with one drive-thru stall at each SC when possible. Lets be real, an Ice car pulling a trailer does not have to detach the trailer to fill up. Tesla gives us the Towing Option and they should design Super Chargers/Destination Chargers with pull-through stalls. Please contact Tesla and request it be part of all new superchargers.

Attachments

• img_4791-e1471534716336.jpg
    img_4791-e1471534716336.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 297
  • model-x-bad-etiquette-1.jpeg
    model-x-bad-etiquette-1.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 329
I am curious why my post (this post) went away. Did I say something that is not acceptable? I take this subject seriously. I am thankful to Tesla for my vehicle, I am thankful to Tesla for their superchargers, which I rarely use. I don't know why others were not allowed to weigh in on the subject of Superchargers with at least one Pull-Through Stall, given the fact they sell a vehicle Tow Package. Please, if I did something that is wrong by posting here, please reply and explain what I did wrong. This post is not on the timeline where it should be if you look for "new posts". Thank you.

I don't understand what you mean. I can see your first post in this thread (#1) and also your second post (#3). I found this thread in the "New Posts" list.
As you can see i rarely post here, so I probably am doing something wrong. If you look at the time line when I made my post (Yesterday at 4:49PM) and go to the NEW POSTS and look for it at that time is does not show up for me. I wondered if I said something or posted pics that were not acceptable. Also, I tried to edit the TITLE of my post after I posted but it would not allow me to. Sorry, I am a bit disappointed because this is important to me (Pull-Through Charging Stalls @ Superchargers) & I thought it had been deleted or hidden.

Pull in or pull forward facing Supercharger Stalls do not work if you have a 19 foot trailer attached to your Tesla. The Trailer sticks out and blocks travel lanes in the parking lot and access to other charging stalls. That is why I am suggesting Pull-Through charging stalls at Superchargers. One (at each new SC location) would be sufficient at this time. But this needs to be addressed as more and more Tesla owners use their Tow Package and travel cross country.

If you look at the time line when I made my post (Yesterday at 4:49PM) and go to the NEW POSTS and look for it at that time is does not show up for me
What you describe may be because you had already viewed the latest posts in this thread and therefore the thread does not show up in the "New Posts" lists when you are logged into TMC. That's just the way the forums work.
Pull in or pull forward facing Supercharger Stalls do not work if you have a 19 foot trailer attached to your Tesla. The Trailer sticks out and blocks travel lanes in the parking lot and access to other charging stalls. That is why I am suggesting Pull-Through charging stalls at Superchargers
I agree. However, because Tesla does not own the parking areas where the Superchargers are located they only have a limited degree of control over how much the area can be modified. Including a pull through Supercharger stall that can accomodate a Tesla and an attached 19 foot trailer would likely mean that adjacent parking stalls would be eliminated, thereby reducing the total capacity of the parking area and the owner of the parking area might not allow that.

The new Supercharger that just opened in Aberdeen, WA, this Wednesday has all 8 of its stalls as pull-ins (nose in). Not pull-through, but still very trailer friendly.

Hopefully that's the trend going forward. Could still be difficult in some locations though, depending on the parking lot layout and the lot owner's preferences.
Yep we just stopped at new station that opened last week in Mt. Gilead, OH and it had one pull in stall...

However, because Tesla does not own the parking areas where the Superchargers are located they only have a limited degree of control over how much the area can be modified. Including a pull through Supercharger stall that can accomodate a Tesla and an attached 19 foot trailer would likely mean that adjacent parking stalls would be eliminated, thereby reducing the total capacity of the parking area and the owner of the parking area might not allow that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I am curious why my post (this post) went away. Did I say something that is not acceptable? I take this subject seriously. I am thankful to Tesla for my vehicle, I am thankful to Tesla for their superchargers, which I rarely use. I don't know why others were not allowed to weigh in on the subject of Superchargers with at least one Pull-Through Stall, given the fact they sell a vehicle Tow Package. Please, if I did something that is wrong by posting here, please reply and explain what I did wrong. This post is not on the timeline where it should be if you look for "new posts". Thank you.

Try using WHAT'S NEW link next to FORUMS and pick RECENT posts. You should see yours in there near top if you look fairly quickly. Depending on post frequency, it might be much lower down the recent list then you would think.

Please understand, When you are towing a long trailer the Supercharger needs to be PULL-THROUGH not pull-in as some have mentioned. Don't get me wrong. I am happy we have Superchargers and applaud Tesla for expanding it charging network. If only ONE of the Superchargers stalls at each new location were designed for Pull-Through then Tesla Towing package vehicles would not block other stalls or other travel lanes while charging with trailer attached. The only option we have now is to disconnect the trailer entirely while we charge. This is not necessary when towing with an ICE car at a gas station. I would like to see this (Pull-Through Stall) as part of the specifications for future Tesla Supercharger sites. I do realize this would not always be possible because of site constraints.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Such a nice combination, make me very envious....!

model-x-bad-etiquette-1-jpeg.207505
A quibble: This driver should have pulled up to charge at the charger on the right of the picture. This would have freed up the last two spaces on the left for other Tesla users. One of the major problems with many superchargers is just this configuration, which makes it difficult to leave spaces open for other Tesla users if you are not unhooking the trailer.