Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just learned from a Tesla salesman that there’s a great website (better than Tesla’s) for monitoring new supercharger sites:

supercharge.info

Note, that’s “supercharge”, not “supercharger”. They monitor permits and construction. The surprise Springfield Mall site is on there and a permit was issued for the promised Fairfax, VA supercharger. Nothing there yet on Tysons or Arlington, VA.

I thought that is the site we have been talking about. there is a pin on Fairfax showing permit now for 126 days, over by the government center.

On Tesla site they only shows that site with a destination charger. But added a location on 123 and 66 as a supercharging site. I had not seen that one yet. Fredrick MD. is still the same spot. Tysons by year end.

I thought that is the site we have been talking about. there is a pin on Fairfax showing permit now for 126 days, over by the government center.

On Tesla site they only shows that site with a destination charger. But added a location on 123 and 66 as a supercharging site. I had not seen that one yet. Fredrick MD. is still the same spot. Tysons by year end.
As stated before, the pins on the Tesla site are just that, pins dropped on the town name. There is no definite location based on the pin. As far as supercharge.info, that is a crowd sourced app based on findings by members like you. The phrase “permit” does not actually mean a permit has been filed, only enough information has been found to guess there may a Supercharger coming. Only have faith when under construction, but even then, it may never open (see Greenville, SC).

DEE3DE1C-1211-4BDE-9F55-A03C391B69D6.jpeg
Still working today.

I saw the contractor on the permit was based in Louisiana. Perhaps they will be at another site in the area as well.

While looking the permit site I noticed another pre issued permit for additonal electric chargers at Springfield Mall, the Barnes and Noble across the street and the Fair Lakes Kohl’s. I wonder if the Kohls\Whole Food will be the site for the Fairfax Superchargers. That would be ideal location since it is easy access from 66.

Looks like they’re wiring the switchgear today. These guys seem to be there every day until about dark. The truck’s tags are out of Louisiana, so they’re in town until the install is done.

Reactions: vdiv
As stated before, the pins on the Tesla site are just that, pins dropped on the town name. There is no definite location based on the pin. As far as supercharge.info, that is a crowd sourced app based on findings by members like you. The phrase “permit” does not actually mean a permit has been filed, only enough information has been found to guess there may a Supercharger coming. Only have faith when under construction, but even then, it may never open (see Greenville, SC).

True. The site is run by enthusiasts like us, not Tesla. It's simply another tool to put in the kit. I plug in at Springfield Mall near Dick's frequently but never drive around the other side of the mall, so I never saw the site under construction. Since Tesla's supercharger map is completely silent about the Springfield site, even though it's well into the build, I'd have been ignorant about the construction without checking there first... which led me to this forum for more details.

Thanks for the updates, especially the pictures.

It looks like most of the work is wrapping up. The signs are up and indicate that eight or nine (one sign isn’t installed yet) out of the eighteen spaces allow general parking for 30 minutes. Sod is going down and it looks like the area is getting cleaned up. There are junction boxes on the light pole foundations and the conduit for the main transformer looks ready to go.
891C12E4-528D-4180-B3A8-31BD08771FFA.jpeg
EBD23E47-F991-45C0-B06D-F251E295C339.jpeg
D9211538-7707-431B-B58A-D5306DE85999.jpeg
3ED24D30-AE9B-4CD4-95D9-444A21022729.jpeg

I saw the contractor on the permit was based in Louisiana. Perhaps they will be at another site in the area as well.

While looking the permit site I noticed another pre issued permit for additonal electric chargers at Springfield Mall, the Barnes and Noble across the street and the Fair Lakes Kohl’s. I wonder if the Kohls\Whole Food will be the site for the Fairfax Superchargers. That would be ideal location since it is easy access from 66.

That Fair Lakes kohls used to have a nice Cars and Coffee, not sure if its still happening. It was convenient and right by a starbucks

It is. supercharge.info has the 'earlier' info, like permits. Tesla's site may have under construction, whatever that means, and as we've seen, may not have sites at all (like Fredericksburg) until they are open.

There are NO permits in the Fairfax area in supercharge.info; the 'old fake' one was pulled, as we were discussing: this is the permits only view:

upload_2018-5-9_10-17-10.png

And, yeah, for the hundredth time :D the pins on Tesla's site mean nothing until construction starts and maybe not even then. They are on the center of the place name or some other feature's name. I think maybe once that wasn't true. Once. Of thousands.

As for South Riding, I live there, and I think they are waiting on permits for the Royal Farm site, or, as was alluded to, perhaps final plans. It's been months of grading and not much progress. Makes sense it's not just a RF, since it's a lot of space. Was wondering WTF was up with all that space on Tall Cedars for 'one store'.

I highly doubt any SuC along Route 50 out here, since any local people would have home chargers. 50 at Grasonville is people going to the beach/Eastern Shore/St. Michaels/Oxford, etc. Quite a different mix. Lot fewer chargers out that way. But I could be wrong! Love to expand charging on the 50 corridor on the western side.

Thanks for the info and back to the topic!

I highly doubt any SuC along Route 50 out here, since any local people would have home chargers. 50 at Grasonville is people going to the beach/Eastern Shore/St. Michaels/Oxford, etc. Quite a different mix. Lot fewer chargers out that way. But I could be wrong! Love to expand charging on the 50 corridor on the western side.

Raises an interesting question for me... with many thousands of Models S & X on the roads, to what extent does Tesla look at actual driving patterns to determine where to place a SuC? I'm sure they have plenty of GPS tracking data. And you could do some interesting analyses, like looking only at long trips (>100mi) and determining whether owners are going well out of their way for existing SuC's where a better location could reduce the need to detour.

s for South Riding, I live there, and I think they are waiting on permits for the Royal Farm site, or, as was alluded to, perhaps final plans. It's been months of grading and not much progress. Makes sense it's not just a RF, since it's a lot of space. Was wondering WTF was up with all that space on Tall Cedars for 'one store'.

I agree but what about Urban chargers? I live in SR also and see a lot of Tesla's coming and going. Not uncommon to see 3-4 per day on 50. But would agree it needs to be down at 66 where the main flow is at.

I ran by Kohl's this morning and didn't see so much as a Miss utility mark on site. if it is a site, there is a network transformer right on the edge of the parking lot. They could put a bunch of chargers there. You got Kohl's, Starbucks, Dick's, and Whole foods to keep you busy while charging. No chargers on the building either.