Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New supercharger charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
Since charging slows down considerably after 80%, should Tesla charge more for cars after they high 80%, to encourage more drivers to leave the SC after they've hit 80% - and free up the chargers faster for other cars to use?

This would adjust the charge based on the charging rate, charging more per Kwh as the charging rate slows down - and could help to increase the turnover of the charging stations.

Just an idea...

I'm not taking sides here, but I can think of a couple of reasons why that might not be such a great idea (of course these apply to post 2017 cars, not me personally):

-- if I'm on a road trip and actually need to range charge (for whatever reason), we shouldn't be penalized for that. Even though I have an 85kWh car which range charges to 250 miles, just this past weekend for Tesla Road Trip I did need to get an almost full charge due to the driving schedule the next day.
-- if I'm on a road trip, and I stop for dinner with the family, and my car happens to charge past 80% (but less than 100%), I don't want to have to jump up to leave just so I'm not charged extra for "surge charge" pricing like that.

A better solution would just be notification nags on the mobile app to alert people that they've reached 80% charge and move your car as others might be waiting. The frequency of the nags can increase at 85%,90%,95%, and at 100% (or when charging is stopped, but still plugged in) then Tesla can start charging extra for occupying the space. That would motivate people to move their cars ASAP if say they're charged $1/minute for "parking".