Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Walker, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! First post here, long time lurker. Taking delivery of my Model 3 on Monday in Highland Park, IL. I live in Grand Rapids and came across a bit of info I thought this section of the forum might find interesting - it appears another Supercharger is coming to Grand Rapids, MI at the new Meijer gas station in Walker, MI. The gas station opened a few weeks ago, but it sounds like underground work has been laid for supercharger install later this fall. The document below is posted on the City of Walker Planning Commission's website.

https://ciwalkermi.civicweb.net/doc...o.pdf?handle=C369FF6002D6489CAB842678F5C972FC

Good Morning Dan <City of Walker Zoning Administrator>,
Thank‐you for taking my call this morning.
Attached please find our current Tesla and ChargePoint Electric Vehicle planning sheet.
(Here is a photo of a ChargePoint unit I took in Holland yesterday.)
As I mentioned, these units will not be installed until later this fall, but we are placing underground conduit for them this week.
This will allow us to finish sodding and sprinkling and landscaping for our store opening.
We will landscape the Tesla equipment pad as discussed, and provide detailed drawings with that electrical permit application.
Jason <Project Engineer>

This Supercharger will be located at the recently opened Meijer Gas Station at 2988 Walker Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49544.

@RGloverii thanks for the info and welcome to the group!

The plans appear to me to possibly be Tesla destination chargers, not Superchargers. Perhaps someone in the group who is a little more electrical-savvy can weigh in.

Looks like 3 ChargePoint (2 present one future). On the Tesla side, there is a CT box for current sense at the power distribution point and the layout shows a large pad for Tesla equipment feeding 5 stations. So likely 5 regular super chargers. Urban would not require as much room for equipment and the faster charge rate (of standard) reduces time per use.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
If they’re placing conduits, doesn’t that sorta mean that they are under construction?
Sorta...
My understanding is Meijer's contractor is pre-placing the needed conduit for the chargers. Tesla will come in later to do their thing.

Contrast that with Tesla doing an install at an existing location where they cut up the pavement and concrete and install the conduit as part of the install.

Perhaps calling it prepped/ Tesla Ready v.s. under construction?

Any thoughts on the why for this location as to others pending? Ludington, Muskegon, St. Joseph, current Grand Rapids really seem nice at current time on North/South along 31. Cadillac and Big Rapids good on 131. Would say the hole is in Kalamazo to get to I-90.

Would be interested to find out if this was a Meijer saying. Oh by the way we are doing this with Chargepoint, want to jump in now to save some $$? Or Tesla planning for future and doing it in a more cost effective way.

Not complaining at all. Didn't see this on map, but a few do that every now and then. Also should be interesting to see when it actually shows on Tesla map as a planned SC then to install.

@BlueShift . What is the thought here? Is it a permitted or not? Could be a whole new type of designation.

Any thoughts on the why for this location as to others pending? Ludington, Muskegon, St. Joseph, current Grand Rapids really seem nice at current time on North/South along 31. Cadillac and Big Rapids good on 131. Would say the hole is in Kalamazo to get to I-90.

Would be interested to find out if this was a Meijer saying. Oh by the way we are doing this with Chargepoint, want to jump in now to save some $$? Or Tesla planning for future and doing it in a more cost effective way.

Not complaining at all. Didn't see this on map, but a few do that every now and then. Also should be interesting to see when it actually shows on Tesla map as a planned SC then to install.

@BlueShift . What is the thought here? Is it a permitted or not? Could be a whole new type of designation.

Meijer and Tesla have worked on many charger installs previously (along with semi deposits). It may be that all new Meijer construction will include charging.

My question: Will these be the next gen Superchargers?

Reactions: jbcarioca
Agreed, but 5 seemed like a strange number since they are usually in pairs...
Yea looking at that PDF it is a non-standard layout. One of the spots is both a supercharger and a ChargePoint spot. Perhaps it will be a smaller 4 slot supercharger and 3 spot ChargePoint. Probably a lot cheaper regardless to lay all the conduit and whatnot during construction. As long as it's done to code they just need the transformer and to pull some wire now.

Reactions: mongo
Yea looking at that PDF it is a non-standard layout. One of the spots is both a supercharger and a ChargePoint spot. Perhaps it will be a smaller 4 slot supercharger and 3 spot ChargePoint. Probably a lot cheaper regardless to lay all the conduit and whatnot during construction. As long as it's done to code they just need the transformer and to pull some wire now.

OH,
Just relooked. that spot is future ChargePoint and Future Tesla station, so empty to begin with and perhaps they install whichever is more needed in the future.

Edit: based on the power lines being two lines that join at the Tesla pad, even more likely to be standard superchargers...

So, this all sounds like what has been previously labeled "urban superchargers". They have the reduced power out but do not share with the next plug.

I'm thinking standard superchargers:

Urban Superchargers are 72kW, so 60A at 240V (or other at three phase). That would not require a separate pad for support equipment. For reference, the Chargepoint have 100 Amp breakers feeding for their 62.5kW 3 Phase load.

Also, the layout indicate each pair of Tesla charge spots are fed from a common point, which is how normal superchargers are setup.

Meijer.PNG

• Informative

I would guess because it’s by the corporate office for Meijer. They probably see a large number of visitors each day who could use them. Could also be a model for future C Stores they remodel and build out as well.

I’m in the GR area as well and had a contractor who gave me a quote for my wall charger install state the were bidding a Tesla Supercharger job at the new Hudsonville Meijer. I think this would be a great location for those coming up from SW MI that might not need to stop at Benton Harbor.

Also, the layout indicate each pair of Tesla charge spots are fed from a common point, which is how normal superchargers are setup.

View attachment 336329

For what it's worth, urban chargers have essentially the exact same backends as the normal superchargers. The only difference is the extra hardware for smart load adjustments isn't present. Beyond that, the cabinets are identical, with each single cabinet feeding two charging pedestals. It's just a straight split of available power (145kW) for urban setups.

For what it's worth, urban chargers have essentially the exact same backends as the normal superchargers. The only difference is the extra hardware for smart load adjustments isn't present. Beyond that, the cabinets are identical, with each single cabinet feeding two charging pedestals. It's just a straight split of available power (145kW) for urban setups.

Well that's what I get for only looking at the first couple pictures. Interesting, thanks for the correction!
A look inside Tesla’s new ‘Urban Supercharger’

Well that's what I get for only looking at the first couple pictures. Interesting, thanks for the correction!
A look inside Tesla’s new ‘Urban Supercharger’
Yea the pedestals for both urban and normal superchargers are just fancy empty shells with some minor wiring connections inside. All the real magic for both supercharger types happens at the backend, those big gray cabinets that are usually hidden away behind fences out of sight.

img_2396.jpg