Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lamar, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have it on good authority that permitting / construction has begun on a supercharger in Lamar, CO... from what i've heard target opening is end of 2021 but i'm not holding my breath.. didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, though even on the Tesla website.. sorry if repost

should make some trips to texas maybe shorter from CO? i dunno...
That would be an awesome location!!

Could this good authority please provide some pics of the construction that could be posted here?

That would be an awesome location!!

Could this good authority please provide some pics of the construction that could be posted here?
This authority was just asked to provide and install the high side of the 750kva supply transformer with a 480V secondary... he just said he believes the station will be done by the end of the year but he's also never done anything for tesla before so his timeframe may be off... then again it seems the permitting is usually the bottleneck for these installs so who knows... ill ask for more details

Reactions: Matsayz
I have it on good authority that permitting / construction has begun on a supercharger in Lamar, CO... from what i've heard target opening is end of 2021 but i'm not holding my breath.. didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, though even on the Tesla website.. sorry if repost

should make some trips to texas maybe shorter from CO? i dunno...

Wow, that's amazing. Lamar makes sense from a "fill all the gaps" standpoint (in conjunction with Pueblo and Dodge City - Pueblo has been mentioned already on the CO Springs thread I think, with at least some discussions between a property owner there and Tesla), but I'll admit to being surprised that it's apparently coming before some other notable gaps are filled.

Anyway, it's a great sign that Tesla's getting serious about filling in beyond the interstates!

Wow, that's amazing. Lamar makes sense from a "fill all the gaps" standpoint (in conjunction with Pueblo and Dodge City - Pueblo has been mentioned already on the CO Springs thread I think, with at least some discussions between a property owner there and Tesla), but I'll admit to being surprised that it's apparently coming before some other notable gaps are filled.

Anyway, it's a great sign that Tesla's getting serious about filling in beyond the interstates!
yeah its a shame walsenburg got canned... could really have used that for trips to taos / red river ... i may try hitting up that chademo / ccs station there but need adapter(s)

CONFIRMATION! It's real. Hosting agreement with the town was approved on October 11th.

Two new systems have been recommended, one on East Beech Street and another in the Chamber of Commerce Parking lot. One agreement calls for eight bays for Tesla vehicles on the south side of the train and water tower display.

Approve Tesla Supercharger Agreement
Councilmember Rodriguez moved and Councilmember Tamez seconded to approve the Tesla Supercharger Agreement and authorize the Mayor to sign. ... [M]otion passes 5-1

What: Tesla is planning to install 8 V3 superchargers in a municipal parking area in downtown Lamar.
Address: 173 E Beech St Lamar, CO 81052

GPS (guess): 38.089378, -102.618303

1639545876980.png

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

Very excited about this kind of location. Fills a huge hole on the map as it's seemingly 130 miles from every nearby supercharger :) Will be interesting to see what they do with the hole ESE of here.

@ItsNotAboutTheMoney feel free to chime in!

Oh man.

A splitter on _3_ US Numbered Highways.
Plus it's a small-town downtown location, which I think is more appealing for stops than chains by Interstates.

US-50
(Pueblo, CO is such an obvious miss right now)
To: Emporia, KS 378.4 miles

US-287:
To: Limon, CO - 119.4 miles

US-385:
From: Amarillo, TX - 223.2 miles (<1 minute faster than US-287, according to Supercharge.info/MapBox)
To: Sidney, NE - 274.2 miles
(To: Sidney, NE (US-287, CO-59, CO-63, US-6, CO-113/NE-19, l), 248.6 miles)

To: center of Dodge City, KS (US-50) - 153.2 miles.
Garden City, KS (US-50) is about 101 miles.
To: Boise City,OK (US-287) - 96.6 miles

I agree that it's interesting to see whether they'll fill in South and East.

Obviously I'd hope to see Boise City, OK* (although small and with a rapidly declining population), because it is at an intersection of _five_ US Numbered Highways (4 concurrent), and Boise City, OK would make the US Numbered Highway connection to Amarillo, TX.
Garden City, KS to the east would help fill towards OKC and eastern Kansas.

* Boise City, OK is in Cimarron County, which is also declining in population over. Cimarron County is the only county in the USA that borders 4 other states, and it has borders with counties in 5 states. It's staunchly Republican and maybe so pro Trump that they named a section of US-287 President Donald Trump Highway when he left office. Not sure how welcoming they'd be to Tesla. Clayton, NM is only 44 miles away and its population has grown a little. Maybe people fled across the border.

Last edited:

Great news about Lamar and hopefully we'll get that rumored location in Pueblo as well. After that, we still need Alamosa and Durango and then the entire state will be pretty much covered.

* Boise City, OK is in Cimarron County, which is also declining in population over. Cimarron County is the only county in the USA that borders 4 other states, and it has borders with counties in 5 states. It's staunchly Republican and maybe so pro Trump that they named a section of US-287 President Donald Trump Highway when he left office. Not sure how welcoming they'd be to Tesla. Clayton, NM is only 44 miles away and its population has grown a little. Maybe people fled across the border.
If that's the reason they fled, then they went the wrong way. Liberal, KS would have been the obvious destination. ;)

Looking at it, in addition to Pueblo, CO which is to the west, I'd add sites in Dodge City, KS; Hutchinson, KS; Liberal, KS; and Dalhart, TX. But Tesla hasn't asked me, and I doubt filling that hole is very high on their priority list.
I've actually driven through Lamar on a return trip from AZ. Trinidad,CO SuC to Goodland, KS SuC. The Nav had us slow down to 55 mph for about 15 miles help increase range. We ended up pulling in with 12 mi left.

On our way out to AZ, we took the US 54 route from Wichita,KS SuC to Tuccumcari,NM SuC 425+miles. We did a planned hotel stop in Liberal, KS (Hampton Inn) because they had Destination charging available. We rolled in with 7 miles left at 9:30PM . We had run into some rain which ate into the buffer (20mi) I had included charging at Wichita. Unfortunately, when I plugged into the Tesla Destination chargers they were only putting out 9 mph. It said, we would need to charge 24hrs+ to make the next Suc in Tuccumcari. I did a quick Review of this sight on the Plugshare App. A Previous Check-In mentioned the slow charging on the the Tesla destination chargers. He said, to use the J1772 L2 units at the location. Thank God for that comment. I switched to one of those units and got the full 32A at 208V 24 mph charging. I still had to charge 12 hrs and it only delayed our intended departure by 2 hours. Btw, I had driven this route many times in the past in our ICE vehicle because it's the most direct route. Saving 125mi. over the Wichita to OKC to Tuccumcari route. a SuC in Liberal would make the route doable just barely for lower range vehicles. Ideally,
Greensburg KS, Liberal,KS, Dalhart,TX would be much better. "If you build it, they will come" No statement better fits the SuC charger network, since the NAV is always looking for the most efficient route.

I was in Lamar,Co today to investigate the new location, no construction has started yet but the ground in the area has locate marks for utilities.
I talked to the gentleman in the Colorado Welcome center and he was aware of the impending chargers and pointed in the general direction of where he believes they will be and I have attached pics. And also a pic of the existing charge point charger.
Where the pickup truck is parked is where he said they were going to be, but not a lot of room there unless they make the parking area larger. I’ll try to keep an eye out on things for updates.

Attachments

• D46CA7BB-D66E-4F00-A177-D8E76F1DAF8D.jpeg
    D46CA7BB-D66E-4F00-A177-D8E76F1DAF8D.jpeg
    1,013 KB · Views: 124
  • CA4099BA-4192-41B5-85EF-424F95A213C5.jpeg
    CA4099BA-4192-41B5-85EF-424F95A213C5.jpeg
    861 KB · Views: 135
  • 550641C6-5A6D-4E65-9E57-7BC80EE153AC.jpeg
    550641C6-5A6D-4E65-9E57-7BC80EE153AC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
  • 6D083D9E-0FEB-4624-8FAD-F9CF003E946C.jpeg
    6D083D9E-0FEB-4624-8FAD-F9CF003E946C.jpeg
    721.7 KB · Views: 138
I was in Lamar,Co today to investigate the new location, no construction has started yet but the ground in the area has locate marks for utilities.
I talked to the gentleman in the Colorado Welcome center and he was aware of the impending chargers and pointed in the general direction of where he believes they will be and I have attached pics. And also a pic of the existing charge point charger.
Where the pickup truck is parked is where he said they were going to be, but not a lot of room there unless they make the parking area larger. I’ll try to keep an eye out on things for updates.
I wonder if placement directly next to the coal-car tender was intentional. 🤔

Oh! Thanks for the photos, Operator! If you see some construction here, please post another photo or two. This is a very interesting site here in Eastern Colorado! Mac
I'm here now actually.. my insider guy says ground breaking is scheduled for late March but he's struggling to find the capacity they are asking for.. says he'll probably get something to work though

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV and mociaf9