Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharger discovered under construction in Winn-Dixie parking lot in Saint Johns Commons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Winn-Dixie Supercharger Jacksonville 1s.jpg

New Supercharger Station discovered under construction in Winn-Dixie parking lot in Saint Johns Commons [South Jacksonville]

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and jbcarioca
Wow. 15-20 minutes south of the location at Gate Parkway, and 15 minutes north of the St Aug location.
Density is starting to get California-like!

Not sure I'm impressed with this particular new spot though; have to play chicken to cross the highway to get to decent food.

suwaneedad, said "Not sure I'm impressed with this particular new spot though; have to play chicken to cross the highway to get to decent food."
Although somewhat near St Augustine SC I agree, this location looks easier to access right off the I-95 compared to St Augustine SC.
Tesla has to balance SC space availability with cost and nearby amenities. If the food we want is located across a busy or dangerous looking road, we first get it to go and then drive over to and then supercharge. Not a perfect option but beats putting your safety at risk as a pedestrian by crossing over.

Wow. 15-20 minutes south of the location at Gate Parkway, and 15 minutes north of the St Aug location.
Density is starting to get California-like!

Not sure I'm impressed with this particular new spot though; have to play chicken to cross the highway to get to decent food.
Yes, Tesla is beginning to cluster the location of their Supercharger Stations, especially in urban or metro areas.
Saint Johns Commons, in which this Supercharger will be located, has five places to get food, 1) Domino's Pizza, 2) China Wok,3) Taps Bar and Grill, 4) Daily's Convenience store and 5) Winn-Dixie. Across the street there is 1) Firehouse Subs, 2) Los Portales Mexican and 3) Dunkn' Donuts. It is certainly arguable as to which of these 8 "fine dining establishments" qualifies as having the most "decent food". ;-)

Larry

Drove by today while in the wife's ICE. The stations look complete. Anyone used them yet? I will try tomorrow.
Thanks for the information.

If you or anyone else visits this location, please look for the utility transformer and meter and take high resolution photos. This will give us an idea of how close the Supercharger Station is to becoming operational.

Thanks.

Larry

I stopped by today and there were two individuals working on the cabinets. They respectfully declined to comment on an operation timeline but did offer that the stalls were not yet commissioned nor Tesla tested at this point. That may be the same thing, I dunno. When I politely stated, "so about two weeks then". The gentleman laughed and said, "even if it were 20 minutes, I wouldn't be able to disclose that information". The wait continues.

Reactions: Larry Chanin
Sure it does, I live next door. Supercharging is free. And, I like free stuff.

The reality is no, it doesn't matter much to those traveling. But, it goes without saying, it mattered enough. The Superchargers can't be cheap. If it would've been my decision, I would've waited a year and gone just a little further North where retail is about to explode.

But does it matter much? There are SC locations both ~10 minutes north and south of this one.
Sure it does, I live next door. Supercharging is free. And, I like free stuff.

The reality is no, it doesn't matter much to those traveling. But, it goes without saying, it mattered enough. The Superchargers can't be cheap. If it would've been my decision, I would've waited a year and gone just a little further North where retail is about to explode.
Hi Guys,

I get it that you would have preferred a different location, but with all due respect, I think you are being somewhat short-sighted. It is true that this "Coming Soon" Supercharger station is located only 16 miles between two other Supercharger Stations and that if it opens in a few weeks it won't materially effect those traveling. However, what you aren't focusing on is that with the advent of the Model 3 Tesla sales is growing exponentially. Tesla can't spare the time to wait to find "perfect" locations, obtain permits and build Supercharger Stations (which typically cost about $250,000 each) and then build them at a exponential rate to keep pace with car production. So they need to take low-hanging fruit now and install stations where the host locations are receptive. Winn-Dixie is one such partner.

This new location is still located conveniently not far from I-95 and as other Supercharger Stations in Florida inevitably get progressively more congested with ever increasing Teslas on the road, we are going to be very grateful that Tesla chose to take action now proactively rather than waiting for better locations.

Larry

Reactions: J.J.