Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharger expansion model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone who is of the "ewwwww gross" thinking:

Remember, the Model 3 owners won't all be as adverse to gas stations/rest stops as you.

Some of us have to work for a living you know.....we're used to being around the unwashed masses...heck, some of us may BE the "unwashed"....

the whole smug attitude of thumbing your noses at a potential regional or national partner who is willing to help build out Tesla's infrastructure is a bad look for Tesla owners, and an even worse business decision.

I would be MORE inclined to stop into a Sheetz if they had a SC. Because I understand that many Sheetz owners are franchisees, who are basically just Mom and Pops who paid for recognizable branding.

:)

Most gas stations don't have the real estate required to house dedicated superchargers for cars that will be staying there 30+ minutes. The area where they should do everything possible to form a partnership with existing infrastructure are at existing service centers located on busy highways. Those super centers with their own dedicated exit/entances are extremely convenient.

Many states, mine included, have turned Tesla down, because they didn't want to be seen as playing favorites picking one charging standard over any others.

While Tesla has volunteered the technology to others, no one else has stepped up to use it yet.

Reactions: Red Sage
You wouldn't take your cell phone to a charging station to charge it. Same goes for an electric car with 1+ day's worth of range. You charge these things nightly at home. Superchargers are for long trips AWAY from home. Having a supercharger station near your home is literally pointless. They were never intended to be used as a pseudo gas station for filling up your batteries when they ran low. I don't see myself ever having to use a supercharger station, but if I had to drive a long distance, I'd want one at my destination and along my route if necessary, which is why I hope they offer pay-as-you-go supercharging.

You wouldn't take your cell phone to a charging station to charge it. Same goes for an electric car with 1+ day's worth of range. You charge these things nightly at home. Superchargers are for long trips AWAY from home. Having a supercharger station near your home is literally pointless. They were never intended to be used as a pseudo gas station for filling up your batteries when they ran low. I don't see myself ever having to use a supercharger station, but if I had to drive a long distance, I'd want one at my destination and along my route if necessary, which is why I hope they offer pay-as-you-go supercharging.
The difference is in the infrastructure. If it was that easy, I would have no issue charging at home. The fact is that I own a condo and running the electrical to my parking spot is going to possibly run me $4-5k to do it properly. I might have a slightly cheaper solution for $1-2k, but that depends on a few things, and at the end of the day, it's only good for me as long as I live here. I don't think adoption rates are high enough yet for me to count on an increased value when I sell my home.

For someone like me, who is an avid adopter of new technology (even if it requires more work on my part), more charging locations would make my life a lot easier for in town usage. If they have them at some restaurants, the gym, grocery stores, etc., then I'm far more likely to have no issue getting by on charging my car while I'm doing things I would be doing anyway.

I don't believe I'll be in my condo forever, probably not more than a few years, and so I struggle to justify the $4-5k that it might require. (For what it's worth, I'm on the board, and have been talking to the property on a regular basis)

Reactions: Red Sage

that's all well and good, but i intend to take my Model 3 on the long trips.

The wife has a CVT Impreza wagon. Decent gas mileage, but (don't tell her this) absolutely joyless to drive. Gutless on inclines, giant comic book character style mirrors that HOWL at highway speeds and just...meh.

I don't allow the dogs in my Audi, so currently I'm stuck with the Impreza on long trips. The canine ban on my vehicle will be lifted with the Model 3, because it will be fun to drive, the ultimate in cost-effective mileage on road trips, comfortable, and safe.

And I'd have absolutely no problems stopping at a Sheetz if that's where the SC's are. But as it stands right now, we can get from MA to the in-laws in C. VA on the existing network. It will be nice to fill in some gaps/give more flexibility. I can shorten my stay at the Glen Allen SC if I know the Sheetz in Farmville ~70 miles away is available to me.

(2) Why Sheetz??? They are only in 6 states on the east coast......not a good expansion attempt....
Most of the Sheetz locations in my area have been expanded within the last 5 years. They are now rather large convenience stores. They offer all sorts of hot food now. Their subs are really good - much better than Subway. They have decent places to actually sit and eat. If you're going to be stuck at a supercharger for 30 minutes, I'd rather grab an inexpensive sandwich at Sheetz sometimes instead of eating at some hotel's overpriced restaurant. It's really a nice choice.

Besides, the smart refueling station owners need to start planning now for downfall of internal combustion vehicles.

So, why not the Highway Safety Rest Areas that run nearly all the national highways? I realize that they can't play favorites with Tesla, but as the picture of the gas station in Needles demonstrates, you can have both SC and DCFC at the same physical stall. (Probably wouldn't want L2 charging, as cars aren't expected to stay that long.)

There's no reason to place SCs at gas stations. Gas stations exist because there needs to be a centralized place to deliver the gasoline to (usually via truck). But charging stations can be placed anywhere there is electricity. I like the SCs by the malls & restaurants, which are often near freeways as well. Grocery stores work well, too (and Tesla seems to be locating more chargers there lately). The notion of putting chargers at gas stations is usually expressed by people who are not familiar with life with an EV because they still think in terms of ICEs. Mind you, I'll use a charger anywhere it's located. But the point is they can be anywhere, and I think the large wave of M3 owners will quickly figure out that there's no need to be tied to gas stations.

So, why not the Highway Safety Rest Areas that run nearly all the national highways? I realize that they can't play favorites with Tesla, but as the picture of the gas station in Needles demonstrates, you can have both SC and DCFC at the same physical stall. (Probably wouldn't want L2 charging, as cars aren't expected to stay that long.)
Because even though the money to maintan the highways comes from the Feds, each state maintains the roads and rest stops with their own staff, contracts, etc.

It's not as easy as getting some national rest area service contract.

There's no reason to place SCs at gas stations. Gas stations exist because there needs to be a centralized place to deliver the gasoline to (usually via truck). But charging stations can be placed anywhere there is electricity. I like the SCs by the malls & restaurants, which are often near freeways as well. Grocery stores work well, too (and Tesla seems to be locating more chargers there lately). The notion of putting chargers at gas stations is usually expressed by people who are not familiar with life with an EV because they still think in terms of ICEs. Mind you, I'll use a charger anywhere it's located. But the point is they can be anywhere, and I think the large wave of M3 owners will quickly figure out that there's no need to be tied to gas stations.

I think the main point people are missing is that this is meant IN ADDITION to the current network and other SC-only sites they may have planned.

Remember, they're trying to double in a short amount of time.

Why not find a partner to do the legwork for you when it comes to site surveys, permitting, and local contractors?

This is not about what is near your house. This is about density, period - if these partnerships were everywhere in the country, you wouldn't have to worry about Chademos or J1772s or any other alternate charging when you were on a trip anywhere. As it is now, where I live I still have to plan if I'm going on a weekend trip that's even slightly off the supercharger network - if I wish to drive around for a while once I get to my destination. Especially in the winter. With ubiquity this will no longer be a hinderance for those still not sure about switching over to EV. Even if we don't need it - just knowing its there if we do takes a lot of the thought about trips - especially those out of our ordinary route.

• Helpful
Reactions: Booga and TaoJones
Many Sheetz locations are 24 hour/day in rural locations. That is helpful for a Supercharger and is rare for most other businesses in those communities. Starbucks and McDonald's would qualify. Hotels qualify, but often have limited amenities. Some Walmarts qualify, but those might be even more objectionable.

Sheetz has food. Booze (where legal), bathrooms, coffee. Everything you need on a "long distance trip."

Perhaps WaWa will be next . . .

There still seems to be a lack of awareness that Tesla has, for 2 years now, committed to both DENSITY as well as to DISTANCE for SC deployment.

There is and will be no need for ppu (pay per use). Most owners today don't use SCs and most Model 3 owners won't either. 97% of the network is still hardly utilized and Tesla is more than capable of staying abreast of demand for the other 3% in areas of density.

Tangentially, Tesla just sold $20M worth of ZEV credits to the MGM group. That's another 60 SCs right there. ZEV credits have essentially paid for the entire SC network to date, by the way.

No need to add FUD concerning the infrastructure or the use thereof. The network isn't close to being finished, and yet some people insist upon kvetching about being overrun as some kind of justification for ppu. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

I agree with those above saying Tesla should partner with other shops that have good brand equity like Starbucks, Chipotle, Whole Foods, Safeway, etc.

7 11 would be a perfect candidate as they're nationwide and extremely numerous, but too often have shitty and small areas often in sketchy neighborhoods.

What I want to know is when Tesla starts installing Solar panels at partner-locations....

These are obviously going to be 'Pay to Use' Superchargers for the up and coming massive number of Model 3s. One would suspect that current Model S and Model X SuC Enabled vehicles could use these stations 'for free', but Tesla would reimburse the property owners. JMHO

That's not an obvious conclusion…

Keep in mind that gas stations are effectively franchises -- someone or some company owns a franchise for one or multiple locations. They pay BP / Shell / Chevron / Etc for the franchise and buy the gas from them. In most cases the profit margin on the actual fuel is minimal -- they make their money off the convenience store attached.

If Tesla is paying the electricity and adding Superchargers brings in more customers, they will profit off the stuff you buy. They probably see this as incremental volume -- you get 20+ cars per day extra in, probably an extra $200-400 per day in revenue, and $100+ in profit a day adds up over a year...

Reactions: garsh
I agree with those above saying Tesla should partner with other shops that have good brand equity like Starbucks, Chipotle, Whole Foods, Safeway, etc.

7 11 would be a perfect candidate as they're nationwide and extremely numerous, but too often have shitty and small areas often in sketchy neighborhoods.

What I want to know is when Tesla starts installing Solar panels at partner-locations....

Superchargers already are getting panels and batteries

Reactions: TaoJones
Superchargers already are getting panels and batteries

This is going to be fun to watch. And it doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach. Some locations will have more available real estate than others (hello, Quartzsite), not to mention sunlight (helloooooo the entire I-10 Supercharger wasteland between Tucson and San Antonio).

Once the sweetspot is determined (infrastructure per site versus return over the life of the equipment), and maybe once that pesky acquisition gets done, we'll see a concerted push toward some kind of a limited pilot with current panels and batteries.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
That particular partnership isn't as outlandish as one might think. Sheetz' MTO food counter can take 10 minutes from start to finish, depending on when you're there. DAMHIKT

That being said, I can see this as a good sign, and a welcome one. Perhaps a solution to the longer term parking is for the SCers to be in an adjoining lot, giving access to the station & letting the ICE drivers go their way while we finish charging.