Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GPS Coordinates are N47.86274 W121.97672

Looks like it will be ten stalls.

Maybe the next one east of Wenatchee on US 2 will be in Davenport.

Yes, ten stalls, five pull through, five backin. I'm sitting here at the site now, and they've got the hardware of all ten stations already installed, with conduits, and it looks like they're currently working on forms for pouring the curbing.

When will the Monroe supercharger be finished?

Sorry, we can't really estimate that from one picture. The construction can go pretty fast, and the Tech will only have to come from Seattle to do the commissioning, so there should be no delays there. Often the big delay is in getting the utility transformer installed. This often can take a month or more to accomplish.

I would say at least a month before this location is ready.

My guess is that it's about skiers going to Stevens Pass. Downtown Seattle to Stevens is about 80 uphill miles, which is just a little too far to make the round trip. Look for another in Enumclaw or Black Diamond to do the same thing for Crystal Mountain (also about 80 miles from downtown) or Mount Rainier (95+ miles).

I think they're leery of putting any supercharger in a major urban corridor. Such chargers tend to be monopolized by locals, which would defeat the long-distance primary purpose of the things. There really is no gap big enough to deter this anywhere along I-5 or I-405 anywhere from Olympia to Marysville.

I'm looking forward to the day that there are enough superchargers everywhere that this is no longer a concern: that when a supercharger is full, that there's another one 5 minutes away.

-Snortybartfast

Reactions: hpartsch
Sorry, we can't really estimate that from one picture. The construction can go pretty fast, and the Tech will only have to come from Seattle to do the commissioning, so there should be no delays there. Often the big delay is in getting the utility transformer installed. This often can take a month or more to accomplish.

I would say at least a month before this location is ready.

I need this to go from Vancouver to Seattle. I only have a 60D.

Huh? No, you don't. It's 230km, and Burlington, WA SC is on the way and open. This SC will be 85 km closer to Seattle, but off of the main highway. Why is this critical for you?

Yes, but after I charge once at Burlington, won't I be running almost empty by the time I get to Seattle? I want to be able to shop around Seattle for a while before heading back.

If I charge at burlington and go to Seattle, I would have to head back almost immediately to Burlington.

Can I charge at the Seattle Tesla SC?

Yes, but after I charge once at Burlington, won't I be running almost empty by the time I get to Seattle? I want to be able to shop around Seattle for a while before heading back.

If I charge at burlington and go to Seattle, I would have to head back almost immediately to Burlington.

Can I charge at the Seattle Tesla SC?

Sadly, no. But it is 225 km Burlington-Seattle-Burlington. I don't think that is unreasonable. There are literally hundreds of places to charge in Seattle. Several downtown parking garages have L2 chargers and the parking is often cheaper on weekends.

There are also many Tesla owners in the area. You might make a separate thread asking for suggestions.I guess any Seattle owner is likely to read this thread, though. :D

Sadly, no. But it is 225 km Burlington-Seattle-Burlington. I don't think that is unreasonable. There are literally hundreds of places to charge in Seattle. Several downtown parking garages have L2 chargers and the parking is often cheaper on weekends.

There are also many Tesla owners in the area. You might make a separate thread asking for suggestions.I guess any Seattle owner is likely to read this thread, though. :D

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to this, so I need to look up what constitutes a L2 charger.

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to this, so I need to look up what constitutes a L2 charger.

There are three levels of charging sources. Level 1 (L!) is the various types of AC source outlets that you would use the Mobile Connector to supply power to the on-board charger in the car. These provide from 15 to 60 amps of power. The Mobile Connector only can provide 40 amps of power. These sources provide from 6 to 48 km of range per hour of charging.

Level 2 (L2) is also an AC source, but is specifically designed to provide power for on-board chargers in EVs. These are typically either J1772 sources or the Tesla Wall Connector. They provide 20 to 100 amps, typically, although there is a limit to how much of that power the Tesla on-board charger can use, depending on the age of the car and if optional on-board charging was paid for when purchasing the car. You have an adapter for using these sources included with the car. Often these sources require that you register with a charging network to pay for the charging, but frequently they are provided by businesses as an incentive for patronage.

Level 3 (L3) chargers provide DC directly to the car's charging system, bypassing the on-board charger. Tesla's Superchargers are in this category, as well as CHAdeMO and CCS chargers. There is an adapter for the Tesla to use the CHAdeMO chargers, although it is an investment. The car controls how much current the batteries are safely able to take in, but Superchargers can start off charging in excess of 480 km per hour of charging. CHAdeMO chargers typically provide around 160 kph.

There are three levels of charging sources. Level 1 (L!) is the various types of AC source outlets that you would use the Mobile Connector to supply power to the on-board charger in the car. These provide from 15 to 60 amps of power. The Mobile Connector only can provide 40 amps of power. These sources provide from 6 to 48 km of range per hour of charging.

Level 2 (L2) is also an AC source, but is specifically designed to provide power for on-board chargers in EVs. These are typically either J1772 sources or the Tesla Wall Connector. They provide 20 to 100 amps, typically, although there is a limit to how much of that power the Tesla on-board charger can use, depending on the age of the car and if optional on-board charging was paid for when purchasing the car. You have an adapter for using these sources included with the car. Often these sources require that you register with a charging network to pay for the charging, but frequently they are provided by businesses as an incentive for patronage.

Level 3 (L3) chargers provide DC directly to the car's charging system, bypassing the on-board charger. Tesla's Superchargers are in this category, as well as CHAdeMO and CCS chargers. There is an adapter for the Tesla to use the CHAdeMO chargers, although it is an investment. The car controls how much current the batteries are safely able to take in, but Superchargers can start off charging in excess of 480 km per hour of charging. CHAdeMO chargers typically provide around 160 kph.

No, but you're close.

J1772 is a charger interface standard that defines a connector and two levels, both AC, and a bunch of safety protocols. Level 1 is single phase AC. In North America, mostly this is 120V, the familiar three prong household connector. 120V 15A can charge a Tesla at about 4 miles of rated range per hour.

J1772 Level 2 is two phase AC. In North America, this means anything from 207V to 240V, and anything from 15 to 60 Amps.. There are a half dozen different outlets used for this which specify the maximum amount of current (Amps) the circuit is safe with. Most of the J1772s in parking lots and commercial charging bollards are 2 phase, 30Amps.

There are a few oddballs: e.g. the TT-30 connector used in RV parks is single phase, which makes it level 1. Tesla doesn't sell an adapter, but there are businesses selling converters that will let you plug the UMC into a TT-30 via the NEMA 14-50 adapter, and the car figures it out. (not completely: the 14-50 tells the car to draw up to 40 amps but it's not safe or legal to draw more than 24 amps from a TT-30 circuit. I rebuilt mine to connect to a NEMA 10-30 so I can't plug it in wrong by mistake.)

Level 3 is not defined by J1772 but I agree with the de facto use of the term to mean DC fast charging. Level 1 and 2 AC charging uses the charger in your car, which is communicating with the battery management system to charge it as fast as possible without damaging it. DC fast chargers bypass this and are very much capable of breaking your battery. so there's a level of communication that must go on between the battery management system and the external charger.

-Snortybartfast

I think they're leery of putting any supercharger in a major urban corridor. Such chargers tend to be monopolized by locals, which would defeat the long-distance primary purpose of the things. There really is no gap big enough to deter this anywhere along I-5 or I-405 anywhere from Olympia to Marysville.

I'm not local. I saw this go up on supercharge.info and thought "huh? What a useless (to me) location." Although, I do see that it's of value for the folks using highway 2. Snoqualmie would be more useful (for me).

I've driven Northern California <> Whistler a couple of times, but it's a problem if I want to stop and see family in Renton. Unless I'm staying overnight and we pull the dryer away from the garage wall, I can't be the 'designated driver' and show off the Tesla because I won't have enough reserve to make it north (or south) to the next supercharger.

But, as a Californian, you are ABSOLUTELY correct that it's a waste of Tesla's money to put a supercharge in an urban area with lots of local owners. The superchargers around the San Francisco area and LA Basin are a pain in the ass for travelers as the locals are mooching free power. I now drive my ICE if I need to drive into the Bay Area from home as the wait at Dublin/Fremont/MtnView is not tolerable due to the locals. Putting a supercharger anywhere along I5 or 405 in the greater Seattle area would just get immediately clogged by the Amazon and Microsoft employees. If there were any supercharger stations in the Portland/Vancouver area near I5/I205, they'd be clogged with locals mooching free electricity, too. Tesla waited too long to remove free-for-life supercharging from their vehicles, and as a result, some areas of their supercharger network are now a net-negative to the goal of enabling distance travel. As above, I drive my ICE if I need to go to the Bay Area because the supercharger network has broken down for travelers due to the free supercharging for life moochers.

Stopped by the site this morning. Looks nearly complete, except for possibly the transformer (see empty concrete pad).

There was one worker there. He said the Superchargers would be active by Thursday (where *IS* that salt shaker??). Their next stop is Dublin, CA.

Given the locations of the "pins" on the 2017 Tesla SC map, I also ran up to the outlet mall site at North Bend, and drove around the parking lot. I didn't see any evidence of construction.

IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg