Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to plug in around midnight and no power. Lights not lit up, bollards not numbered, etc. The transformer was making a humming noise. I'm no electrician but my best guess is that we're just waiting for the Tesla tech to test it and activate it.

Reactions: melindav
Still not activated as of 11pm today (4/19).

I'm jonesin' man... been putting off installing the high-powered home charger at my place, since I live so close to these superchargers.

Get that HPWC - or at least a 14-50 - installed at home. It's going to be way more convenient and better for the car. Regular supercharging isn't great for the longevity of the battery. And, FWIW, Tesla does discourage local supercharging since it's really for folks going long distances.

All that aside, it's nice to have one so close when you're in a pinch and need some super fast charging!

Get that HPWC - or at least a 14-50 - installed at home. It's going to be way more convenient and better for the car. Regular supercharging isn't great for the longevity of the battery. And, FWIW, Tesla does discourage local supercharging since it's really for folks going long distances.

All that aside, it's nice to have one so close when you're in a pinch and need some super fast charging!

I agree. I put in the 50 amp plug in my garage and it was straight forward. There's nothing like having a fully charged car ready to go every morning. Never have to think about when or where to fuel up (unless I'm going long distances). I have my car set to charge at midnight and she's always ready to go in the morning.

• Love
Reactions: Discoducky
I agree. I put in the 50 amp plug in my garage and it was straight forward. There's nothing like having a fully charged car ready to go every morning. Never have to think about when or where to fuel up (unless I'm going long distances). I have my car set to charge at midnight and she's always ready to go in the morning.

I have my car set to recharge at 4am. I feel that it's cleaner power at night. And the same for me, the Aberdeen Supercharger is about 30 miles from me, and pretty much the only route out of town. I do a moderate charge at home and when I leave to go to Seattle or Portland, its the Supercharger. The upcoming Monroe one will be great for me, as then I can do round trips in one day!

Get that HPWC - or at least a 14-50 - installed at home. ... Regular supercharging isn't great for the longevity of the battery. And, FWIW, Tesla does discourage local supercharging since it's really for folks going long distances.

Huh, I was ignorant on both fronts. Makes sense, though.

Thanks for the kind explaination. I'll look into HPWC options -- going to be a harder sell for my wife :-/

Reactions: dss33
If you charge on the household plug (NEMA 5-15) most of the time and most of your days are less than 50 miles, you may be able to get away with it, and having the supercharger in the neighborhood can bail you out for those occasional times when you can't. The 5-15 gives about 4 miles of range per hour if you're not sharing it with lighting or other appliances. Give it a try and see.

I found that the days that I was spending less time at home at night tended to coincide with days that I drove a lot, and they tended to be back-to-back, so it was worthwhile to put in the bigger wire. As long as you're putting in a new circuit, go for the NEMA 14-50. There's no price saving going with a smaller wire/receptacle, and unless you have dual chargers, the HPWC doesn't charge your car any faster than the UMC.

-Snortybartfast

Totem Lake Fred Meyer would have fit the bill.

Oh god, that Blink station. Current Plugshare score there is 1.0 (out of 10). Children and other sociopaths like to hit the emergency stop button all the time, and it takes several minutes for the unit to become functional after you reset it. Screen was cracked for some time, and only one CHAdeMO charger "worked." Personally, I've tried twice with my adapter. Voltage goes up, amps never kick in, voltage drops back down, fail. I've had no problems with EVgo stations.

Most LEAF owners just abuse it to get a closer parking spot. The last time I was there, I watched some guy plug in his LEAF and walk into the store. The third light was blinking on the dash (indicating nearly-full charge). I checked the console, and he was pulling 1kW. What's more, he occupied the only functional CHAdeMO spot when all the L2 spots were open. Classy.

Personally I'm thrilled with the Monroe charger, since I'll be using it at least a dozen times a year on my way to and from Stevens and Leavenworth.