Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New superchargers coming soon? Columbia & Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. They didn't take as long as they did to get Charleston installed because they wanted to, it just turned out to be really hard for some reason. It seems that their main partners in the southeast (sheetz, wawa, and even Parkers) do not have locations on I26. I don't think they have many superchargers at QT, but I'd love it if they added one at their Orangeburg I26 location.
That Orangeburg QT would be an excellent spot. QT is also building a brand new station in Columbia, within one mile of the I-26 / I-77 interchange. It would IMO be an ideal location. I called QT about this several months ago when they first broke ground and explained the Columbia I-26 charging hole, almost begging them to work with Tesla at this new location. I got a polite “we’re considering it” type of answer and basically the guy implied there just isn’t enough demand for that yet. So if you guys want this, I’d suggest you all call QT tomorrow and ask them to work with Tesla on adding a Superchanging location at the new QT under construction in Columbia, SC.

That Orangeburg QT would be an excellent spot. QT is also building a brand new station in Columbia, within one mile of the I-26 / I-77 interchange. It would IMO be an ideal location. I called QT about this several months ago when they first broke ground and explained the Columbia I-26 charging hole, almost begging them to work with Tesla at this new location. I got a polite “we’re considering it” type of answer and basically the guy implied there just isn’t enough demand for that yet. So if you guys want this, I’d suggest you all call QT tomorrow and ask them to work with Tesla on adding a Superchanging location at the new QT under construction in Columbia, SC.
Can you point me to the street/intersection? I might submit their feedback form with some information. Tesla is obviously trying to get proposals for that area, and this would be a high traffic location for a first site. I think it'd change their mind really quickly if they just had one site operating in a place like that.

Reactions: FSD_Scribe
Can you point me to the street/intersection? I might submit their feedback form with some information. Tesla is obviously trying to get proposals for that area, and this would be a high traffic location for a first site. I think it'd change their mind really quickly if they just had one site operating in a place like that.
New QT is going on the SE corner of Dixiana Road and Hwy 176, just a stones throw from I-26. I do think the more people who suggest this to QT the more likely they are to listen and act. Good luck!

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Lets talk about the 3 August update to this page Find Us | Tesla and South Carolina (I-95, I-26 and Columbia).

First, 4 "coming soon" Superchargers on I-95 in South Carolina sounds great but they are spaced about every 25 miles in the southern part of South Carolina.
-- Yemassee SC (4Q 2021) has an I-95 interchange with a Loves Travel stop, and other likely hosting candidates
-- Walterboro SC (1Q 2022) is 20 miles up I-95 road from Yemassee, with 2 interchanges and several hosting candidates
-- St George SC (4Q 2021) is 25 miles up I-95 from Walterboro... with 1 interchange with a couple of hosting candidates
-- Summerton SC (2Q 2022) is 12 miles from the existing Santee Supercharger (originally from 2013) and 35 miles from St George
-- but then there is a 60 mile "gap" to the Florence Supercharger from Summerton. Obviously 60 miles is not a real gap... but the spacing is odd.

Second, St George SC is about 10 miles from I-26 and I-96... and hopefully that Supercharger will be very close to that interchange and the city name is just the closest Tesla could find.

Lets talk about the 3 August update to this page Find Us | Tesla and South Carolina (I-95, I-26 and Columbia).

First, 4 "coming soon" Superchargers on I-95 in South Carolina sounds great but they are spaced about every 25 miles in the southern part of South Carolina.
-- Yemassee SC (4Q 2021) has an I-95 interchange with a Loves Travel stop, and other likely hosting candidates
-- Walterboro SC (1Q 2022) is 20 miles up I-95 road from Yemassee, with 2 interchanges and several hosting candidates
-- St George SC (4Q 2021) is 25 miles up I-95 from Walterboro... with 1 interchange with a couple of hosting candidates
-- Summerton SC (2Q 2022) is 12 miles from the existing Santee Supercharger (originally from 2013) and 35 miles from St George
-- but then there is a 60 mile "gap" to the Florence Supercharger from Summerton. Obviously 60 miles is not a real gap... but the spacing is odd.

Second, St George SC is about 10 miles from I-26 and I-96... and hopefully that Supercharger will be very close to that interchange and the city name is just the closest Tesla could find.
Wow! I didn't realize Tesla had updated their map, thanks for letting us know. Of course more chargers are always better (especially now that Elon is going to open up the network to other brands), but IMO there are other areas that need the new chargers first, like along I-26 (as has been mentioned) and the I-75 to I-640 to I-40 transition in Knoxville, and a few others.

Reactions: Jeremy3292

Remember all those locations are very approximate and not the actual location. There is a Pilot travel stop right off the intersection of I-26 and I-95 and that address is St George as well. Seems like a likely location for it.

I appreciate all new SCs no matter where they are but that is much further down I-26 than one would want I think. Need one off I-26 in Columbia regardless of where they place others IMO. But I think that’s another kill two birds with one stone thing when you can place it at an interstate intersection.

Also looks like they removed all the potential host sites you can apply for so maybe we will see some new map updates in the near future.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
So someone in our local group just said that they see a supercharger almost completed on the Orangeburg exit on I-26 at the new Spinx. Anyone seen it? It's not on supercharge.info at all, so this was definitely sneaky if it's real. I'm assuming this is the Spinx they're talking about - 3615 St Matthews Rd, Orangeburg, SC 29118.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and jsight
So someone in our local group just said that they see a supercharger almost completed on the Orangeburg exit on I-26 at the new Spinx. Anyone seen it? It's not on supercharge.info at all, so this was definitely sneaky if it's real. I'm assuming this is the Spinx they're talking about - 3615 St Matthews Rd, Orangeburg, SC 29118.
That is great news. I'll try to find out more next week.

I don't think spinx has any other locations, so this could be the start of a new partnership, which would be great for supercharger development in South Carolina.

@corywright please add new location to 3615 St Matthews Rd Orangeburg SC 29118. Believe it is an 8 stall V3.

Got this pic off Facebook.

F724830E-86D0-45EC-804F-13C64D61EEFE.jpeg

Last edited: