Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New superchargers coming soon? Columbia & Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this response from Spinx below when I asked about any other new SC locations at Spinx:

1637100117715.png

I received this response from Spinx below when I asked about any other new SC locations at Spinx:

View attachment 733736
That’s a nice, if not safe, response from Spinx. So it sounds like the Orangeburg location was initiated by Tesla. I’m wondering how long it will take before retailers (like Spinx) will realize the market opportunity of Tesla owners and actually reach out to Tesla about hosting Superchargers. At some point some of them may be willing to foot all or part of the cost to have Superchargers located on site In order to draw in paying customers with greater than average disposable income.

That’s a nice, if not safe, response from Spinx. So it sounds like the Orangeburg location was initiated by Tesla. I’m wondering how long it will take before retailers (like Spinx) will realize the market opportunity of Tesla owners and actually reach out to Tesla about hosting Superchargers. At some point some of them may be willing to foot all or part of the cost to have Superchargers located on site In order to draw in paying customers with greater than average disposable income.
It's a reasonable toe in the water for a company that has tried some chargers years ago that didn't get much traffic.

I bet we can count on more if we keep this one busy. I'm sure they'll be counting the traffic closely.

So I drove down from Greenville to Columbia this morning and decided to do some SC hunting along the way on I-26. I stopped in Clinton and Newberry at a multiple exits along the way where it looked like Tesla might put a SC. Basically from exit 52 to 97 on I-26. Unfortunately I did not see anything anywhere that looked like it could be a SC getting ready to be installed. There are definitely a few good places for one such as Loves and Pilot travel stops, but those aren’t Tesla partners. There are also Shell, BP, and 7 11 stations that could house a SC as well but again, not Tesla partners. There are a few Spinx stations closer to Spartanburg and Columbia also that I did not stop at as they weren't on my route.

All in all I think Tesla is going to have to make a deal with a local business owner on this I-26 corridor unless Spinx or QT give them a deal at one of their stations. Probably going to be end up being a very random location to bridge the gap between Spartanburg and Columbia if we see one at all any time soon.

Reactions: jsight
Probably going to be end up being a very random location to bridge the gap between Spartanburg and Columbia if we see one at all any time soon.
My thought is to put one in Spartanburg, maybe at the I-85/I-26 intersection. That more or less splits the difference between Asheville and Columbia on I-26 and CLT and GVL on I-85.