Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers on the NJ Turnpike (speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
on what basis is it not an interstate?

It just isn’t. I-95 splits off through Pennsylvania and I-295 runs parallel to the turnpike. I-95 rejoins the turnpike just north of Mansfield, NJ. Between exits 1 and 6, the NJ turnpike is officially - although unsigned as such - route 700.

Mount Laurel, NJ - James Fenimore is on the Nav and in the Tesla app.

502A269F-2843-4D2A-800B-AFBB3F32956C.jpeg

Just an FYI. I go up to North Jersey from Philly every Friday and noticed that the Molly Pitcher Service area was closed on my way up. Luckily knowing that, I planned a different route heading back home because if not I would have been forced to stretch my range pretty thin and miss my exit to head to the Richard Stockton Service area 13 miles down. Minor inconvenience but knowing ahead of time definitely helped me to adjust accordingly to make sure I made my dinner reservation in time.

The Tesla app still shows the SC at Molly Pitcher as open however construction is expected to last until May 2022 according to the NJ turnpike website so not sure if there is a way for Tesla app to reflect the closure of the SC for the next several months.

Just an FYI. I go up to North Jersey from Philly every Friday and noticed that the Molly Pitcher Service area was closed on my way up. Luckily knowing that, I planned a different route heading back home because if not I would have been forced to stretch my range pretty thin and miss my exit to head to the Richard Stockton Service area 13 miles down. Minor inconvenience but knowing ahead of time definitely helped me to adjust accordingly to make sure I made my dinner reservation in time.

The Tesla app still shows the SC at Molly Pitcher as open however construction is expected to last until May 2022 according to the NJ turnpike website so not sure if there is a way for Tesla app to reflect the closure of the SC for the next several months.
Was the service area closed as in the entry ramp was blocked by barricades etc or open but no food/gasoline/restrooms available

Tesla map in car is showing the southbound superchargers are temporarily closed.

4 of them were available when I started my route 3 hours ago. Just noticed because the nav system told me one of my supercharging stops were offline.

Attachments

• 16413242127058631255200541435474.jpg
    16413242127058631255200541435474.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 64
Most are open.
Indeed, only Joyce Kilmer (East Brunswick) is closed at the moment. Best I can tell it's supposed to re-open in June of this year. Any other ones that haven't yet been rebuilt will probably be closed shortly, but I can't keep track of which ones have been finished. The only info I can find about details is news stories from last August, all of which imply that James Fenimore Cooper and Walt Whitman are supposed to be under construction now, but they aren't. I think Walt Whitman is already finished, but no idea about JFC. They seem to only be closing one at a time in each direction.

I also found an article saying that there is a plan to put a large number of EV chargers in every service area on the turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Nothing about how many would be Superchargers vs. CCS, but I would expect both. Apparently the concessionaire has recognized the benefit of providing fuel for modern cars!

Reactions: preilly44
Indeed, only Joyce Kilmer (East Brunswick) is closed at the moment. Best I can tell it's supposed to re-open in June of this year. Any other ones that haven't yet been rebuilt will probably be closed shortly, but I can't keep track of which ones have been finished. The only info I can find about details is news stories from last August, all of which imply that James Fenimore Cooper and Walt Whitman are supposed to be under construction now, but they aren't. I think Walt Whitman is already finished, but no idea about JFC. They seem to only be closing one at a time in each direction.

I also found an article saying that there is a plan to put a large number of EV chargers in every service area on the turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Nothing about how many would be Superchargers vs. CCS, but I would expect both. Apparently the concessionaire has recognized the benefit of providing fuel for modern cars!
On your last sentence.. Fat chance.

Tesla had to bribe nj by paying not only for tesla installs but for wiring for the non tesla installs. That's the point way they let tesla build.

But honestly it's the best advertising for tesla. My dad sits and charges his crap ev at 75kw for a really long time and fumbles with a multitude of apps, while he painfully watches tesla after tesla pull in for few mins and pull out with the 250kw and seamless plugging in.

Elon is just a genius!

But yeah. Don't think nj is heavenly. It's costing them nothing. Now the rebate and no tax are more serious actions.

I actually just drove the NJTP North and there were two service area's closed, Joyce Kilmer and one further south of it. I don't remember the name though. Just keep that in mind when you are planning your charges. I only drove to rt 18 so I don't know if any more were closed further north.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
I actually just drove the NJTP North and there were two service area's closed, Joyce Kilmer and one further south of it. I don't remember the name though. Just keep that in mind when you are planning your charges. I only drove to rt 18 so I don't know if any more were closed further north.
It's possible the other closed one doesn't have Superchargers (not all do yet). They all show as open on the Tesla web page, for extra annoyance.

I'll be driving the turnpike from Delaware to Secaucus on Sunday, so I'll try to remember to note which ones are closed.

It's possible the other closed one doesn't have Superchargers (not all do yet). They all show as open on the Tesla web page, for extra annoyance.

I'll be driving the turnpike from Delaware to Secaucus on Sunday, so I'll try to remember to note which ones are closed.
Please do! I’m driving up Friday from DC to mid Jersey and taking NJTP off at exit 4. When I drove to NYC in early May, the Clara Barton /John Fenwick 250kw Chargers Between NJTP Exit 1 and 2 were still open.