Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Superchargers Proposed in Greensboro and Raleigh, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is interesting. Walked to the N.Hills Supercharger today and noticed all stations have the branded Tesla finish covers on them now but the contractor had removed the transformers that were there last week. Weird! They we mounting new xfmr today and pulling wire. I asked contractor questions but they were tight lipped. Tesla's website now says end of 2017 so they ran into delays. PackPike, I'm afraid they won't be ready by your 11/4 trip but I will offer any of my (2) 50A wall chargers to you. I live within walking distance to N. Hills.

Reactions: GaryW
I also swung by last night to grab some nighttime pics, so you could see the lighting.

20171017_201654.jpg 20171017_201728.jpg 20171017_201651.jpg

Stopped by today, sorry no pictures.

Concrete needs poured where wires are run to charging station, lines need painted, fence needed around transformers and wiring to the transformers did not appear complete from my limited knowledge.

While standing there, this is going to need a real bear to back into the slots due to all the traffic. It's a constant pace of cars through that area. Because the chargers are sideways mounted more like a pull in, tough to see if they will make these pull in, back out or back in pull out.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
42C88F1A-18B4-46A4-89D0-1535F4F7085B.jpeg

The transformer for the original 2 J1772 chargers is still here.

Additionally. There are a number of what appear to be unconnected conduits nearby.

04AA4506-0190-40DB-8580-F40786356B9E.jpeg

There is not a lot of room in the area for parking stalls.

Two other notes:

1) There is a noticeable smell at this end. (It wasn’t me) Maybe someone hit a sewer line? I’m just guessing.

2) As has been noted by a couple of us, this is a very busy area. I counted 9 cars in one minute with a stopwatch. I know this is very unscientific amount of data. I mention it to give a feeling for the area. There is a shortage of parking in the area as well.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv and Aieukl378
Well this is interesting. Walked to the N.Hills Supercharger today and noticed all stations have the branded Tesla finish covers on them now but the contractor had removed the transformers that were there last week. Weird! They we mounting new xfmr today and pulling wire. I asked contractor questions but they were tight lipped. Tesla's website now says end of 2017 so they ran into delays. PackPike, I'm afraid they won't be ready by your 11/4 trip but I will offer any of my (2) 50A wall chargers to you. I live within walking distance to N. Hills.

Thanks for the offer, but outside of supercharging I'll need to find something closer to Carter-Finley Stadium while at the game.

I'm doing a 1 day round trip and can easily get to Raleigh, but without a place to charge while I'm in the game I need to find a quickcharge option somewhere to get me back down 95 to the Lumberton SC. I have a friend who has a CHAdeMO adapter that I'm going to borrow to bring up to see if that helps. I've looked through plugshare, but do you locals have any tips? Here's what I have so far:

Dorton arena 14-50 charging, located on a light pole in the parking lot - not sure if this will be free with a game going on, but if it is I hope to get there early and charge up some before using my parking pass to park closer to the stadium. I guess I could just leave my MX here and then all will be ok, except for hearing my kids complain about the walk.

1751 Varsity Dr, Raleigh, NC 27606 - possible free CHAdeMO charger

Other 'nearby' CHAdeMO listed spots on plugshare:
Sheetz - 600 Corporate Center Dr, Raleigh, NC 27607
Courtyard Marriot - 3908 Arrow Drive Raleigh, North Carolina 27612
North Hills Mall, south of Exxon in mall parking lot - 4359 Six Forks Road, Raleigh, NC 27609

Or I guess I could take a longer route getting up there and go up to the Rocky Mount SC and 'fill up' before heading over to Raleigh. If you can't tell already, this is my first road trip in my MX, and I'll have my dad and brother with me so I don't want to look to silly running around trying to get charged. I was fairly confident that this new Raleigh SC was going to be open so I haven't been too concerned about the trip up until now.

I'm doing a 1 day round trip and can easily get to Raleigh, but without a place to charge while I'm in the game I need to find a quickcharge option somewhere to get me back down 95 to the Lumberton SC. I have a friend who has a CHAdeMO adapter that I'm going to borrow to bring up to see if that helps. I've looked through plugshare, but do you locals have any tips? Here's what I have so far:

Dorton arena 14-50 charging, located on a light pole in the parking lot - not sure if this will be free with a game going on, but if it is I hope to get there early and charge up some before using my parking pass to park closer to the stadium. I guess I could just leave my MX here and then all will be ok, except for hearing my kids complain about the walk.

1751 Varsity Dr, Raleigh, NC 27606 - possible free CHAdeMO charger

Other 'nearby' CHAdeMO listed spots on plugshare:
Sheetz - 600 Corporate Center Dr, Raleigh, NC 27607
Courtyard Marriot - 3908 Arrow Drive Raleigh, North Carolina 27612
North Hills Mall, south of Exxon in mall parking lot - 4359 Six Forks Road, Raleigh, NC 27609

Get there early and eat at the Umstead. They have two chargers out front that valet will park your vehicle and charge to.....around 22-25 miles per hour. Quick trip from there to stadium.

Thanks pgiralt! I was out of town this week. I stopped by the SC today and grabbed a couple of pics. The most interesting one shows that the meter is installed, which means that that everything has passed inspection. I know that because I replaced my main panel at home (with the proper permits) and Progress Energy wouldn't install the meter until all the inspections were complete. Also, got a pic of the reinstalled J1772's.

20171028_143850.jpg 20171028_143923.jpg 20171028_143932.jpg 20171028_144106.jpg 20171028_144102.jpg