TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New superchargers v3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by antoinearnau, Mar 4, 2019.

1. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

Ok, those are coming and they're supposed to be a lot faster but...
    My experience with supercharging is arriving around 30% soc, getting 100kw for a few minutes and then the rate of charge starts to reduce...
    I am driving a M3 MR. So is it the same for the other Tesla's?
    My point is how usefull could it be to have a higher rate of charge if you can take advantage of it for a few minutes only ?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Assuming the stalls are still paired the second car arriving will not have to wait as long for the first car taper before receiving max power.

In the future when newer models can take full advantage of the extra output the chargers will already be there. (Next gen Roadster, Semi)

• Like x 1
  3. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

Good point !

4. vickh

vickh Member

how does the SR+ compare to MR for charge speed?

5. timx

timx Member

This happens in cold weather, which I’ll assume since you’re in Montreal - charge rate might ramp to around 100kW, then back down to a lower rate - when below 0F, I’ve only gotten 40kW without any other car charging.

• Informative x 1
  6. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

True, i got my car Dec 23rd in Montreal, so all I know is cold weather charging.

7. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

120kW supercharger taper starts at about 50% SoC for the LR battery so it's unclear how much V3 could benefit us. That pickup truck is going to need a monster battery though! Maybe they'll release an even larger battery for the Model S/X capable of the faster charge rate.

• Like x 1
  8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

For some strange reason I feel that Tesla will offer to install an improved on board charger for those wishing to use the new V3 system.

On the other hand, maybe only the future production will be able to access all that power.

• Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 1
  9. Daniel in SD

There is no onboard charger for supercharging, the battery is directly connected to the charge port through a relay.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. SammichLover

SammichLover Active Member

Y'all need to stop showing up at the SC with so much SOC remaining, so V3 will better rock your world. :p

• Funny x 1
  11. Daniel in SD

That charge from 10% to 20% will be insane!

12. SammichLover

SammichLover Active Member

Artist's impression of me in the front seat of my Model 3 w/12% SOC and hooked up to a V3 SC:

giphy-4.gif

• Funny x 3
  13. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Is there supposed to be a webcast of the presentation tonight?

14. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

See: 2019.7.11

250kW seems to be the new limit of SuperCharger V3. Not sure yet if Model S/X can take this, but my assumption is that they can't.

15. Blup85

Blup85 Member

"Also, when navigating to a supercharger your car will condition the battery to charge faster"
    Hopefully that goes along all platforms!

• Like x 1
  16. GoingVerde

GoingVerde Member

Up to 75miles in 5 minutes!
    1000+ miles/hr

• Like x 1
  17. Valore

Valore Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. ivan801

ivan801 Member

On a road trip I would normally charge from 10% to 70% (with some variations, obviously). It appears based on the chart posted by Valore above that my wait time will go down from 40 min to 20 min. That is huge! In reality, 20 minutes is enough to stretch my legs and use a bathroom. If you have kids, 20 minutes is a normal bathroom break on a road trip in gas car (at least it was for my family).
    In model 3 LR 10% to 70% will give you about two hours of driving range. That is normally when I like to make a stop and stretch anyway.

• Like x 1
  19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

I have to imagine it allows for better tapering on the high end too. Even if it just allows for 200kw up to 50% that's still a huge improvement.

Get's us a lot closer to ICE fill ups.

That's huge! Sometimes I have to hit closer to 100% on my trips so 60 mins going down to 40 is awesome.

• Like x 1
  20. Dan123

Dan123 Member

Does anyone know the voltage / amperage of the output of these v3 superchargers?