Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New supercharging Nav method is BS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes....once you reach the "tapering off position" stop charging and proceed on your route to the next charger is you are on one trip

If only it was that simple, i've tried that out of curiosity after unplugging it told me to plug back in at the same SC. I kept driving and then it rerouted and said stay below 60 to make it to your destination, i did my normal 85 and when i was about 3 miles from the next charger it FINALLY rerouted and said to stop there.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
If only it was that simple, i've tried that out of curiosity after unplugging it told me to plug back in at the same SC. I kept driving and then it rerouted and said stay below 60 to make it to your destination, i did my normal 85 and when i was about 3 miles from the next charger it FINALLY rerouted and said to stop there.
saw similar behavior on my drive. ABRP told me to charge to x% before next location. Tesla was showing me if I unplugged at the suggested ABRP % I'd arrive with an unacceptable amount of %. then as I was driving I would get warnings to drive slower to make my charger but would be recalculating and eventually end up magically having more % that reflected ABRP estimations without changing my speed or driving settings. I find it odd ABRP can calculate my driving behavior and arrival % better than tesla but I'm also just guessing Tesla are adding extra padding to cushion for the average person with range anxiety ect.

Why do people think this is a change? It’s always been this way in my experience.
I feel like an idiot now lol. I have never travelled using the cars suggested charging stops. I always pre plan with ABRP and then stop at a recommended charger, grab something to eat (which takes at least 40 mins) then unplug and head to the next charger and I don't even live in California and car has 246 miles range. :) I think it's my level of OCD

Anyone notice how the navigation seems to be making you use less superchargers lately?
The only change I noticed was the indication of local amenities.

Still I hope that 'waypoints' will be added as there is currently no way to select your own itinerary.

In particular if you need to make some detours, you cannot predict which supercharger you will have to use.

It has changed, before when i would go to tustin it would have me stop at barstow, fontana and anaheim hills. Sometimes it would skip barstow if i was at 90% when i leave the house otherwise i'd have to stop. now it says stop in Hesperia forever if i'm at 90% or barstow then hesperia. but it always tells me to stop in hesperia for an hour which as i said translates to 1.5 hours.
I have an appt at the SC on the 22nd for the charge port door error that everyone is getting so maybe i'll bring it up to them and see if it can be sent up the line that its freaking retarded.

Something is not right. Tustin is not that far from Fontana supercharge. My house is 1 mile away from Fontana supercharger and my brother lives in Irvine. I drive there all the time starting at 190 miles and made it back with plenty to spare. If you are going from Fontana to Tustin one way, your shouldn't need to charge at Anaheim Hills at all even if you start at 100 miles. If you are charging at Hesperia, you shouldn't need more than 120 miles charge to get to Tustin as it is mostly downhill too. Even if you are completely empty, it should not take 1 hour to charge to 120 miles.

Something is not right. Tustin is not that far from Fontana supercharge. My house is 1 mile away from Fontana supercharger and my brother lives in Irvine. I drive there all the time starting at 190 miles and made it back with plenty to spare. If you are going from Fontana to Tustin one way, your shouldn't need to charge at Anaheim Hills at all even if you start at 100 miles. If you are charging at Hesperia, you shouldn't need more than 120 miles charge to get to Tustin as it is mostly downhill too. Even if you are completely empty, it should not take 1 hour to charge to 120 miles.

Yes it SHOULDN'T take 1.5 hours to charge, however the curve on the 85's is complete BS and it tapers off so quickly it takes forever to charge the damn things. The below pic is of my SC rates from a little over a year.

Other cars and esp the 3's and Y's the curve does not taper off nearly as quick. before chargegate my car would hit 72kW at 51% now it hits 72kW at about 33%, that may not sound like much but it adds a lot of time at charge stops but it equates out to adding an additional 50% of whatever time the car says. so 20 min becomes 30 and 1hr becomes 1.5 which is why several short stops are prefered over 1 long as **** stop especially since i don't shop and i don't go to restaurants (no sit down style, fast food only) while i charge.

Untitled.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Yes it SHOULDN'T take 1.5 hours to charge, however the curve on the 85's is complete BS and it tapers off so quickly it takes forever to charge the damn things. The below pic is of my SC rates from a little over a year.

Other cars and esp the 3's and Y's the curve does not taper off nearly as quick. before chargegate my car would hit 72kW at 51% now it hits 72kW at about 33%, that may not sound like much but it adds a lot of time at charge stops but it equates out to adding an additional 50% of whatever time the car says. so 20 min becomes 30 and 1hr becomes 1.5 which is why several short stops are prefered over 1 long as **** stop especially since i don't shop and i don't go to restaurants (no sit down style, fast food only) while i charge.

I wonder if you are being "throttled". My 75D charges from 10% to 90% usually in about 40 min on a trip. I have free supercharging but only used them about 1 or 2 times a year when I go on trips.

I wonder if you are being "throttled". My 75D charges from 10% to 90% usually in about 40 min on a trip. I have free supercharging but only used them about 1 or 2 times a year when I go on trips.
sure for some models it has to due with being throttled due to over use but this has to do with a software update that gimped supercharging speed on older models like the 85 kwh battery. if you really wanna get into the rabbit hole enjoy Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

agreed....we need the waypoint now, not new games
As well as when typing in a location, you want the closest one to appear first in the list rather than the one that is 30 miles away. I don't understand how something as simple as a closer proximity search can't be setup on the navigation system. Tesla uses Google maps, so why can't they also use a proximity search - after all the car's location is always known. Instead we get some stupid games because we are going to be sitting at a supercharger or when FSD arrives after the cars are obsolete.

sure for some models it has to due with being throttled due to overuse but this has to do with a software update that gimped supercharging speed on older models like the 85 kwh battery. if you really wanna get into the rabbit hole enjoy Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Oh yeah i've been down that mess of crap, but of course tesla says my charge speed is just fine. looking at SMT i have charged 17,800kW from SC and 20,614kW from AC and i've also regned 17,425kW. so not a whole hell of a lot of charging but i do have about 106k miles

I have free SC and i use it, see above about the throttling.

But i digress i made this about the nav annoyance not about chargegate issues, and yeah the stupid games they keep adding are just stupid and annoying. People have been asking for waypoint navigation since like 2012 and here we are 9 years later with no nav improvements lie waypoints.

I haven't done any significant road trips (yet), typically I repeat the same drives, so not hugely familiar as many others with using navigation, but I recall the nav doing that before; it would put a button on the trip suggesting "remove charging stops". (However, I don't recall ever seeing an option to add an extra stop. )

Has this changed?

answering my own question; nope, looks the same as before and yes, I have the option to add the charging stop. (On 2020.48.12.1)

5E6CD2A7-C84E-4049-BA6D-ABE0723520D6.jpeg
E6F81625-9C5D-401E-BC3C-ABBB045AE49F.jpeg

Last edited:
Naw Elon even said back in the day about how several quick stops along your long trip is better because of how it charges faster at lower %.
And as i said the nav system has changed because before if i was driving to say long beach it would tell me to stop 2 or 3 times depending on my initial charge %. but now it wants me to stop once about 70 miles from my house and sit there for 1.5 hours to charge to damn near 100% and then roll out to long beach. It makes no sense and is really freaking stupid especially when there are like a zillion SC along the way as i get closer to the LA area.

Yeah that makes no sense. Since it charges faster at lower percentages and since it's easier to wait less time than more time, it makes more sense to have more stops than fewer stops. Also, this seems like it would reduce bottlenecking, as in not having people at stalls for too long. Less crowding, right?

At the very least, you should be able to choose your own 'style' of charging; fewer stops and longer wait time or more stops and less wait time (my preferred method too).

Here is a new spot of stupid nav.
I got o the hesperia SC at 4% amd plugged in and it started charging like normal after like 5 min I said nav to he barstow SC so I can get dinner and have juice to make it home. instead of the normal charge for X time then go. it says leave now and arrive with -10% at barstow. Sooooo dumb