Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New T1 Primacy MXM4 tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard to tell from the picture but probably want to make sure that you are getting the XL version. I noticed that the Costco website wouldn't even show MXM4's anymore when I searched a few weeks back because of the lower load rating. Ended up getting Pilot Sports instead and am still waiting for my warranty reimbursement from Michelin to come in.

Just to add my $0.02, based upon the research I did about 2 months ago:

Per Costco Tire Center and according to their Michelin representative, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 in 235/45R18 98W (Michelin Part #16144, Costco item number #1271883) for the Tesla Model 3 is discontinued and no longer available.

Per Michelin representative on the phone, Michelin Part #16144 seems to be replaced with Michelin Part #07563, which was just launched in Sept 2020. And #16144 is not currently being produced and is on backorder due to COVID restrictions affecting manufacturing.

Also, 2 months ago, I was still able to reach out to Michelin, who provided me a case number to replace my OEM tires on my 2018 Telsa Model 3, which I took delivery of in 2018-11-29. I went to Discount Tires and installed 4 new Michelin Part #16144 (existing inventory) for $503.84.

Last edited:
Question for you guys: I have the T0 tires on my model 3. One of the tires is flat and needs replacing. I ordered the T0 (I thought) but got sent the T1. Do you think its ok for me to have 3 TOs and 1 T1 tire running at the same time? I dont mind if its not the best possible scenario...I just want it to be safe. I dont have experience in this so am asking the experts here... thanks!

Do you think its ok for me to have 3 TOs and 1 T1 tire running at the same time?
Yes, it will be safe. Mismatched tires are hazardous when they have different compounds and tread patterns that produce different levels of traction. I have not seen what the actual differences are between the T0 and T1 spec tires but they're still fundamentally the same tire. Any tweaks to compound or tread isn't likely to be noticeable and I wouldn't expect it to be a safety concern.

What would be more noticeable is different levels of wear. If your 3 tires are moderately or heavily warn, then the difference in tread height will make a minor difference in traction at the limit. You should try to match the new tire with the least warn tire and put them on the rear axle. If there is a large wear discrepancy, consider buying a second new tire and put both on the rear axle, then save the used tire as a spare.

Reactions: android04
Yes, it will be safe. Mismatched tires are hazardous when they have different compounds and tread patterns that produce different levels of traction. I have not seen what the actual differences are between the T0 and T1 spec tires but they're still fundamentally the same tire. Any tweaks to compound or tread isn't likely to be noticeable and I wouldn't expect it to be a safety concern.

What would be more noticeable is different levels of wear. If your 3 tires are moderately or heavily warn, then the difference in tread height will make a minor difference in traction at the limit. You should try to match the new tire with the least warn tire and put them on the rear axle. If there is a large wear discrepancy, consider buying a second new tire and put both on the rear axle, then save the used tire as a spare.

Thank you very much!

Question for you guys: I have the T0 tires on my model 3. One of the tires is flat and needs replacing. I ordered the T0 (I thought) but got sent the T1. Do you think its ok for me to have 3 TOs and 1 T1 tire running at the same time? I dont mind if its not the best possible scenario...I just want it to be safe. I dont have experience in this so am asking the experts here... thanks!
Tires are somewhat similar to wallpaper. Tire manufacturers change compound formulas silently all the time, so even if you get the exact same brand and model, it may have slightly different characteristics. This is why the recommendation is to always replace in sets of four (not applicable to staggered setups, replacing two is fine). Will it be safe, probably for all but extreme maneuvers.

Are the MXM4 AC tires the same as the MXM4 T0/1 OEM tires? If not, where do I get T0/1's? Discount Tire sales guy says AC=Acoustic w/foam.

Also, are these really noticeably quieter? (They're $75 more per tire). How does the noise level compare to Pilot AS4, Primacy Tour AS, and or CrossClimate2? (Only the Primacy Tour AS is described as quiet on the Michelin website).

Are the MXM4 AC tires the same as the MXM4 T0/1 OEM tires? If not, where do I get T0/1's? Discount Tire sales guy says AC=Acoustic w/foam.
No, they’re not the same (hence they don’t have the T1 spec, which is more than just the foam).

The T1 tire is only $25 more than the normal MXM4 at tirerack.com, the first place I’d always check. The T1 tire is XL rated, while the normal tire is not rated for the weight of the Model 3. I’m not familiar with an MXM4 AC.

I didn't notice any significant noise difference upgrading to the AS4s.

The car stops like 20% shorter though which is a pretty huge upgrade even if I lose a few percent range in exchange, in addition to noticably better cornering, and objectively better wet weather performance and safety as well.
I put PSAS4s on my new 18” TST wheels and we just drove our LR AWD 3 side by side down the interstate at 75mph. After about 14 miles, we turned around and came back. Overall average was… my P3D on 18” TST wheels with 235/45R18 Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires averaged 307wh/mi vs. 263wh/mi on MXM4, which is almost a 15% difference. However, I suspect the rims make a 3-4% difference (based on aero wheel testing) so that puts the real difference for tires in the 10-12% range hit.
No, they’re not the same (hence they don’t have the T1 spec, which is more than just the foam).

The T1 tire is only $25 more than the normal MXM4 at tirerack.com, the first place I’d always check. The T1 tire is XL rated, while the normal tire is not rated for the weight of the Model 3. I’m not familiar with an MXM4 AC.
AC means acoustic comfort. The only MXM4 AC tire I’m aware of in the 235/45R18 size is the Tesla T0/T1 spec. On Discount Tire’s website they normally say something like MXM4 AC 235/45R18 TE (which means TESLA). If it’s got 98W load and speed rating, it’s a Tesla spec MXM4.

Edit: this is their exact listing for the T1 spec MXM4:

MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 AC 235 /45 R18 98W XL BSW TE

Last edited:
I called an America's Tire (Discount Tire) in Southern California that had the MXM4 AC TE in stock and they checked the tires and they are the #16144 T0 version. Not sure why they have different product numbers on their website. They also checked the system and currently they don't have any T1.

Found 4 T1 available at American Tire Depot and installing them now. Since they were in-stock at this location, was able to apply the buy 3 get one free promotion.

Attachments

• 20210619_112615.jpg
    20210619_112615.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:

Thank you. I got the T1's.