Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Taillights coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be interesting to see if the inner/trunk hatch section of the tail assemblies can be persuaded to carry over the stop light brightness increase with a hardware mod.

If not, the new assemblies are regressing to the look/feel of Model X units.

Yeah I think I'm on the fence in terms of preference, maybe slightly leaning more towards the orignal EU style. (But maybe because of all the effort I spent to get it and then get it working properly:p)

I guess they're calling it Global :)

Listed side by side with the old style, so older cars will still have replacement parts.

upload_2020-9-16_17-32-26.png

Does anyone have a comparison of all the turn signal/brake light iterations? I have a 2018 M3 and am always confused seeing other Tesla's trying to figure out if mine looks the different or is somehow broken/not working correctly.

Note: I've had a few taillight connectivity/replacement issues in the past so I've lost track of the expected behavior at this point

Not sure you need photos, its fairly simple:

Early production/original AMER tailights
(Model 3 and then initial Model Ys)
The outter wide plasma diffuser red light is just a position light (single intensity in both sections of the taillight assembly)
Inner LED strip lights up red as a stop light or turn signal, or partially white for reverse.

Mid production/original EMEA APAC tailights (Model 3 first, then Y)
Same as above EXCEPT the Inner LED strip lights up red as a stop or amber as turn signal, partially white for reverse.
the Amber and White modes are narrower vs the Red stop

Latest production / Revised 'global' tailights
(initially Model Y refresh, then Model 3 refresh)
The outter wide plasma diffuser red is a brither hue vs previous two revisions... and the light is dual intensity - a position light AND a stop light (dual intensity only on the outter subassembly, not the one in the trunk hatch).
Inner LED strip lights up amber as a turn signal or partially white for reverse.
In either mode it is wider but thinner than the original EMEA APAC tailight.

The revised taillights are not swappable with earlier ones or easily transplantable to earlier cars.

EMEA/APAC tailights can be used on AMER cars and vice versa, but require some TLC. Rumoured to also be programmable by Tesla but they shy away from confirming or showing how. Those who have swapped these, end up rewiring them.

I haven't seen any actually. All the new ones with black trim still have the original tail lights.
Will have to see if the newest variants with the new door trim also changes out the tail lights to the global style?

MIC Model 3 now has the Model Y updated more visible and cooler looking outer edge brake lights

E0waCqsWYAIHeiy

Hopefully US 3's will get this. Looks so much better.

Hate the dim brake light strips on my car. So puny and barely visible

Seemingly random MiA Model 3s get these too (see a few posts above Mr X)... its sad that the outter edge dual intensity does not extend all the way across from the outter to the inner (trunk) sub-assemblies.

Missed opportunity that appears to be driven by some regulation and/or regulation-cross-cost-saving play because this has been the case with other make/models since at least 2008/10 era cars.

Any word from newly acquired US M3 owners (esp those who have the wood trim on doors) as to if you have the updated tail light where the large red area lights up with braking and amber turn signals? Pictures and confirmation either way would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I don't think any of those were delivered in the US yet they are coming in the coming weeks with Q2 deliveries. I believe the new door trim deliveries that already occurred are European models and/or MiC. If I am wrong hopefully someone can report on that.