TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New tech-focused P85D review on IGN

Discussion in 'News' started by ryanjm, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the bit of self-promotion here, but because the site I work for (IGN) is not a typical car site, I suspect many of you aren't aware of it. We're mostly about video games and entertainment, but we do cover tech as well. And that's how I approached my review of the P85D. It's more of a tech-minded/focused review rather than a car review. There's a written piece and a video version as well. Take a look and I hope you like it!

P.S. I'd like to thank this board for many reasons, but specific to this review, you guys are the reason I knew to include the bit about 4G LTE rolling out in the newest cars. I didn't cite TMC specifically, though, only because I didn't want to draw unwanted attention to what is such a wonderful, tight-knit TMC community. :wink:

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It's absolutely brilliant Ryan. Too bad so many people in the comments are complaining it a review of something else than a video game on IGN.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Ryan, excellent and very accurate review. One small nit: I believe there is only one forward facing camera, not two.
    My favorite line in your piece: "the P85D is a five-thousand-pound middle finger to Tesla’s detractors and doubters". Right on!

4. jct_4628

jct_4628 Member

Good review, I think coming at it from a tech point of view instead of a car point of view makes for a great article!

5. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

And, judging by some of the later scenes, he apparently went all the way to Norway for some of the test driving. :)

6. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Only wish IGN videos didn't require flash plugin...some of us run on Linux. Just like our cars. l-)

7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#7 S'toon, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    What distro are you using? I use Mint 17.2 on my laptop and it worked for me.

I'm actually backing up my desktop at this very moment, so I can put it back down to 17.1.

8. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Excellent review. For those who've not found the video yet it's, appropriately, over on the video section of the forum.

But what's this about 4G? First I've heard of it. Is this something that can be upgraded in 3G cars?

9. S'toon

First owner noticed it and announced it in this thread. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/48305-It-looks-like-I-have-LTE-enabled From there it spread around the net. Lots of speculation about the upgrade possibilities, no actual facts.

10. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Latest ubuntu. I browse with Chrome, but I do know Firefox on ubuntu has flash.

11. S'toon

Ah, yes. I use Firefox, or Tor. Chrome just bugs me.

12. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

I have no problems with flash in Chrome in Kubuntu. Just tested the link in this topic on Chrome to be sure (normally using FF), it worked like a charm :) Sure you are not using Chromium?

13. Insane

Insane Banned

Impressive !.

14. Kenypowa

Kenypowa Member

Ludicrous speed - you called it one week before Elon announced it. Nice.:biggrin:

15. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Haha, I'm glad someone else caught that. :wink: It was my first thought after Elon's press conference on Friday. I was like, "Hey, they read my review!" (Not really of course, just funny that Tesla engineers thought about Spaceballs as well, heh)