Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 15.12kW Solar / 4 Powerwall order in Orlando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the boxes below, going from right to left, the bottom right is the solar panel, which has one breaker each for the two inverters. Above that is the solar disconnect. To the left of the disconnect is the generation panel. It’s got a breaker for the inverters and one breaker each for the four powerwalls. To the left of that is my backed up loads panel. This is where they transferred all of the circuits from the original main panel. Left of that is the gateway and on the far left is the meter and the original main panel. The 200amp breaker in the main panel will disconnect me from the grid and any breakers in the main panel would be powered, but not backed up by the powerwalls (I don’t have any non backed up loads though, they transferred everything to the backed up loads panel).
View attachment 555001

Regarding your new backed up loads panel where they transferred all the circuits from the original main panel to this new panel. Did Tesla consider that a service panel upgrade and charge extra or was that included as part of the standard package? I'm pretty sure my system is going to be done the same way. I like the idea of having every circuit backed up. That way I can shut off any circuits I want just by flipping the breaker(s). Thanks.

Jay

Regarding your new backed up loads panel where they transferred all the circuits from the original main panel to this new panel. Did Tesla consider that a service panel upgrade and charge extra or was that included as part of the standard package? I'm pretty sure my system is going to be done the same way. I like the idea of having every circuit backed up. That way I can shut off any circuits I want just by flipping the breaker(s). Thanks.

Jay

That was just part of the standard installation. My service panel was not upgraded, they just moved the circuits out of it. In some cases they need to replace the main panel.

That was just part of the standard installation. My service panel was not upgraded, they just moved the circuits out of it. In some cases they need to replace the main panel.
So does your old main panel now have no breakers installed except the 200 amp main/service disconnect? Unfortunately for me I do not have enough room to put another panel next to my existing main panel. The backed up panel, the gateway, the solar generation panel, and the 4 powewalls are all probably going in the garage as I have almost no free wall space near by meter and main panel. If I could only get Tesla to keep things moving. It's been a week since they said my panel layout was complete and ready for my review when in fact it is still not done.

That’s correct, they put little plastic covers to cover the holes where the other breakers were installed.

I see that you’re in Volusia county. I’m also in Volusia county, so I suspect that we may be subject to the same regulations. If you have more than a 10kW Duke Energy does require a disconnect switch to be installed and accessible from outside. So you will need at least that box on the outside of your house even if the rest go in the garage.

Anyone hav an idea of how to help the fire department with permitting more than one powerwall installed. Oakland CA Fire Department has imy solar roof on hold for a couple months now because I want more than one Powerwall. I don't know what else I can do to help this along, other than cancelling my order and have the solar roof with one powerwall installed then pay for Tesla to come back and install the other powerwalls at another time when it's approved with a second install charge. Does anyone else have any ideas of how to handle my situation?
Thanks for your comments.