Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 15.12kW Solar / 4 Powerwall order in Orlando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on 15 kw solar roof with no power wall. I figure I'll take the chance I can use the 3 or future cybertruck as V2G backup.

Personally I don’t see V2G as a good solution. First, it requires that the car be at the house in order to work. For me, at least, one of the big advantages of the powerwall solution is that it can backup the house whether I’m at home or not. I have a big aquarium with thousands of dollars of livestock, so I need to make sure that it keeps running even during a power failure, especially when I am not home and can’t do anything to intervene and make sure things are OK. Obviously not everyone has that situation, but even if your wife and kids were home while you had the car at work and the power failed for several hours they would be sitting in the dark that whole time.

Additionally, my model S is my only car. I wouldn’t want the house to drain the car battery and then leave me with no way to drive anywhere, especially if this was an extended power failure due to a hurricane. I would want the car to have a full charge so I could evacuate if necessary. And again, if I do evacuate with the car, then the house has no backup.

Of course not everyone has these limitations and there are probably some people where V2G could be a good solution for their situation, but I think there are a lot of compromises that people don’t always consider... they just look and say, “Hey, there’s already this big battery in my car, why can’t I use that for my house?”

Planning on 15 kw solar roof with no power wall. I figure I'll take the chance I can use the 3 or future cybertruck as V2G backup.

I seriously doubt that is going to happen without some sort of existing permitted solution (like a powerwall) in place. Also, just to be sure you are aware, in the case of a power outage, that large 15kw array on your roof will sit dormant, and your home will be without power even if the sun is shining.

having lived through 3 days of that last year, I found it EXTREMELY frustrating to know I had solar panels on my roof, sun shining, and yetm food spoiling in my fridge and freezer, and no power.

My bet is any V2G setup from tesla will be in addition to permitted, installed powerwalls, not "instead of". Both because I dont think current charge ports support it, and because if they enable V2G without a verified disconnect source, some lineman working on a line is almost assuredly going to get injured / die. Humans being what they are (forgetful) there is zero chance that if V2G was enabled for everyone, that everyone would remember to throw the main breaker in a power outage situation. Someone would forget, energizing the lines while they would be worked on.

it absolutely 100% would happen, unless there is a technical reason in place that prevents it. Other companies may have some technical way of preventing it other than tesla, but there is no reason for tesla to develop such a solution that excludes their powerwall, for financial reasons.

85F943F6-5E40-4CD7-9F5B-4EE36D979563.jpeg
And so it begins.

I didn’t really discuss wind ratings as I’m pretty far inland, so it’s a bit less of a concern here. I did look through my design documentation and this was the only thing I noticed that mentioned the wind rating:

0A4D4BAA-079D-458A-ADF6-9EBF7BB793F8.jpeg

Below is the blurb on the anchors they are using. I didn’t see any wind ratings listed, but you can get the brand and part numbers from that if you want to do any additional research.

87B29A71-971E-4B8D-88C8-5759414929A0.jpeg

They estimate my annual production will be about 20,000 kWh, which I think is a bit conservative. I think that will be around 80-90% of my usage, depending on how much I charge my car. I did a lot of driving last year, but I don’t think I will drive as much going forward. I believe that I would be able to run off grid indefinitely if I’m somewhat careful with power usage and I do little to no car charging.

They took a little break for lunch, so not too much new is going on. They did run the conduit for the powerwalls through the garage wall and they are running them outside the house so there is no conduit or wiring visible in the garage. They said they’ll paint the conduit to match the house so it doesn’t stand out as much.

76DB48B2-C131-4285-963A-5F2145D4608F.jpeg

They’re starting to unload the panels and attach the power optimizers and I think the panels will be going up soon.

82D73210-E0DC-4A3F-A037-D0EC261A7680.jpeg