Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 15.12kW Solar / 4 Powerwall order in Orlando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both the solar inverters and powerwalls need to be adjusted to change the frequency range at which they request and respond to reduce power generation. Only changing the powerwall would result in the solar still generating when the batteries are full.

Ah, OK. I thought the inverters were already set to turn off at a lower frequency. In any case, they were able to do whatever they needed to do and they set my max frequency to 62.5. Hopefully that will make my UPS’s and lights and such happy.

Reactions: mongo
They have finished the install and they just left. Here are the final pictures. I think they did a great job:)

4EA1D701-DDAA-4E69-90EB-95D28038BAB9.jpeg

4981DDF9-A453-4EDA-BD1E-CAAD0676F1B4.jpeg

44C24E21-C4B7-4C67-8272-732C702264C3.jpeg

14C6330F-D7D7-48A0-A2D3-EF140357D1DA.jpeg

6217C266-0B4F-4AB8-93F2-0990A4FCD99C.jpeg

299C95BE-02CC-4C45-876B-9CB6DA80E51B.jpeg

Yes. You need a $1 million liability on homeowners insurance.

I read somewhere, though, that Duke calculates this not based off the watts listed (e.g., 12.24) but instead by multiplying by .85, in order to take into account inefficiency. That would take the Large system (12.24) to 10.40, right above the threshold. I am going to see if Tesla can make the system a bit smaller than the standard Large size so I come in under the threshold and avoid the extra costs associated with a Tier 2 system.

It’s partly cloudy today, so the solar generation was bouncing around as the clouds passed overhead. I saw it hit 12.9kW at one point, but I didn’t manage to screenshot it before it dropped down again. It seemed like it was in the high 12s when it was pretty close to being in full sun. Is that about what I should expect from a 15.12kW system? I know that there are some losses from the inverters and the fact that the panels aren’t all oriented in the same direction, so at least some of them are probably suboptimal at any given time.

I do not know how it applies to their different product lines, but I've noticed with a solar roof that on partly cloudy days I will see spikes (that can last a couple minutes) well above the numbers I see on a perfectly clear day. Not sure the exact cause, but it is interesting.

Installation looks very nice and professional, by the way. I do wish they didn't have to put the red stickers on the conduit - they did the same with our install in matching the color, but the stickers still make it stick out a bit.

I do not know how it applies to their different product lines, but I've noticed with a solar roof that on partly cloudy days I will see spikes (that can last a couple minutes) well above the numbers I see on a perfectly clear day. Not sure the exact cause, but it is interesting.

Installation looks very nice and professional, by the way. I do wish they didn't have to put the red stickers on the conduit - they did the same with our install in matching the color, but the stickers still make it stick out a bit.

You should see the amount of red stickers I have on the boxes on the side of my home. I was told it was because each local permitting authority wants specific labeling, etc... but the boxes on the side of my house are covered in red.

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
Apparently all those red stickers still weren’t enough. Even though the crew left an hour or two ago I looked outside and was surprised to see a Tesla truck in my driveway. I went out and they were putting another sticker on one of the panels. They said that they as they were driving back to the shop they realized that they forgot one and they didn’t want to fail the inspection for not having it.

They’ve got three panels left to mount and the lead is working on commissioning the gateway and the powerwalls. He said I’ll be able to add the powerwalls to my Tesla app soon:)

Edited to add that I also mentioned the powerwall frequency issue, since I have UPS’s and a lot of LED lights and he seemed to be at least vaguely aware of the concern. He said he would talk to them and see if they can lower the frequency for me. I’m not going to push too much though and if they can’t lower it now then I’ll just call on my own after they leave.

Wasn't aware there was an issue with LED lights, had read some posts on here about UPS issues. We have a lot of downlights throughout the house and are using CREE LED spots. The ones that were installed in our kitchen/nook remodel were designed to go in as LEDs, the others were the LEDs that could be retrofitted into incadescent housings. The kitchen/nook ones are all on dimmers in case that's important. Is this something we should be informing Tesla Energy about? Thanks.

Hey, looks really nice btw. Enjoy your sunshine!!

Last edited:
I read somewhere, though, that Duke calculates this not based off the watts listed (e.g., 12.24) but instead by multiplying by .85, in order to take into account inefficiency. That would take the Large system (12.24) to 10.40, right above the threshold. I am going to see if Tesla can make the system a bit smaller than the standard Large size so I come in under the threshold and avoid the extra costs associated with a Tier 2 system.

It's my understanding with working with Tesla and asking if we could add a few more panels, that they only do the panels by 12s. I think if you want to customize you might have to have the solar installed by a third party who will customize, but not sure costwise if that works out to your benefit or not. Let us know what you find out.

• Helpful
You should see the amount of red stickers I have on the boxes on the side of my home. I was told it was because each local permitting authority wants specific labeling, etc... but the boxes on the side of my house are covered in red.

Yep always easy to walk through our neighborhood and without looking at the roof know who's installed solar since the main panels are always accessible from the street side.

Wasn't aware there was an issue with LED lights, had read some posts on here about UPS issues. We have a lot of downlights throughout the house and are using CREE LED spots. The ones that were installed in our kitchen/nook remodel were designed to go in as LEDs, the others were the LEDs that could be retrofitted into incadescent housings. The kitchen/nook ones are all on dimmers in case that's important. Is this something we should be informing Tesla Energy about? Thanks.

Hey, looks really nice btw. Enjoy your sunshine!!

I honestly don’t know how much of a problem it is. I someone mention flickering LED lights in the big long UPS thread on here, so I mentioned it as well when I was talking to the technician since pretty much all of my lights are LEDs. My powerwalls have never even been charged to 100% yet, and since they did chang the frequency for me hopefully I’ll never have a problem anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
That's pretty ridiculous. I guess I had just assumed there was an agreed-upon standard for marking solar/DC/battery and they used the same stickers all over the country. You would think at least each location could agree on the sticker.

Apparently all those red stickers still weren’t enough. Even though the crew left an hour or two ago I looked outside and was surprised to see a Tesla truck in my driveway. I went out and they were putting another sticker on one of the panels. They said that they as they were driving back to the shop they realized that they forgot one and they didn’t want to fail the inspection for not having it.

At least they remembered - mentioned somewhere else that when I had my furnace replaced, it failed inspection in part because the grounding screw wasn't green enough, so depending on the inspector, they can definitely cause headaches over seemingly minor issues. I was glad that Tesla was actually on site for the solar inspection in case of something minor, though the same reason they had to be - coronavirus - meant the inspector seemed to not be as thorough as I've experienced in the past.

They’re actually a bit concerned about the inspection because for some reason my irrigation pump was installed right in front of the main electrical panel and apparently code requires 3 feet of clearance in front of it. The pump was there when I bought the house, so they’re hoping that the inspector will be in a lenient mood when he comes, otherwise the pump will probably have to be moved.

You might end up with more red stickers.. in my case, when the tesla person came back to meet the inspector, he brought more red stickers. I will post a picture of what the side of my home looks like. Powerwalls are in the garage, and that part is not bad at all.. only 1 read sticker there that I remember....

EDIT: @BrettS are you ok with me posting my "red sticker" pics in this thread or would you prefer me to start another one? I dont want to take your thread too far off track, and really appreciate you sharing all the pics.

Lol, go ahead and post them.

Ok, here you go, lol. Here is a picture showing the side of my home with the inverters etc. Main electrical panel is above the meter there, next to the inverter. The main panel actually has (10) red stickers on it. Each inverter has (5). (1) on the disconnect, and (1) on the combiner panel. This is not counting the red stickers on the conduit.

IMG_0322.jpg

So I still don’t have my PTO, of course, but I may or may not have decided to do an extended off grid test while I wait for it. I figure that as long as I’m disconnected from the grid and not feeding anything back the utility can’t be too upset.

It’s been a pretty sunny day with a few clouds here and there, but so far I’m pretty happy with this graph:

323D14F4-C226-4A90-8A76-2DF847525010.jpeg