Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 15.12kW Solar / 4 Powerwall order in Orlando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have paid for something that is on my roof, I will be taking advantage of the tax credit. Waiting for PTO should have no impact on the ability to take advantage of the credit.

Similarly, it would be odd to wait for DMV registration on an EV that I have purchased and taken delivery of to take advantage of the EV tax credit.

I think the "paid for" issue is, there is a provision for commercial type installs where if they basically can pay for the system ahead of time to take the credit, even if install has not completed yet, as long as they had made "material progress" or something like that. When I was looking into this, there were questions around whether we could pay for it ahead of time to get the credit (if you were installing near the end of the year for example).

What I remember being the case, was that "pay for" date was not for regular residential type installs, but instead it was "placed in service". Thats where the somewhat ambiguous nature comes in, because it would depend on how you define "placed in service"

The applicable quotes I think are:

The system must be placed in service during the tax year and generate electricity for a home located in the United States. There is no bright-line test from the IRS on what constitutes “placed in service,” but the IRS has equated it with completed installation.3 • A solar PV system must be installed before December 31, 2019, to claim a 30% credit. It will decrease to 26% for systems installed in 2020 and to 22% for systems installed in 2021. And the tax credit expires starting in 2022 unless Congress renews it

So, Placed in service = installed, at least as most of the research I saw on it was. You dont even have to have paid for it in the year, just "placed in service" so if your install date was dec 31st 2020, you placed it in service then and can take the credit for 2020 taxes.

Attachments

• Guide to Federal Tax Credit for Residential Solar PV.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Good to know. So first bill is due when installation starts, and second bill is due when installation is completed?

I cant speak for recent solar + powerwall installs, as my own install was "powerwallls added to existing solar". In my case, going through tesla, it was just the deposit of $100 up front might have been $99 up front but close enough), then payment in full after install.

For solar + powerwalls there may be an additional payment in there but I am not aware of that.

If I have paid for something that is on my roof, I will be taking advantage of the tax credit. Waiting for PTO should have no impact on the ability to take advantage of the credit.

Similarly, it would be odd to wait for DMV registration on an EV that I have purchased and taken delivery of to take advantage of the EV tax credit.

That's kind of where I am with this, but technically until it's producing power, it's just a bunch of shiny glass and boxes that make beep beep noises.

Good news, since it doesn't really matter what we think during an audit, is it's installed date. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/f...deral Tax Credit for Residential Solar PV.pdf, top of the right column.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
That's kind of where I am with this, but technically until it's producing power, it's just a bunch of shiny glass and boxes that make beep beep noises.

Good news, since it doesn't really matter what we think during an audit, is it's installed date. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2020/01/f70/Guide to Federal Tax Credit for Residential Solar PV.pdf, top of the right column.

I think thats the same document i downloaded and attached to my previous post as a PDF so yeah, its installed date with the quote I put earlier.

2E714664-D046-45C9-B6A4-8FD8310F1F31.jpeg

As of today I’ve officially generated my first megawatt hour of power.

View attachment 563058

As of today I’ve officially generated my first megawatt hour of power.

Nice! Initially I thought I was maybe three days away from joining you but then I realized I'm 3 days away from 10 megawatts! This illustrates the clear dangers of trying to do anything mathematical prior to morning coffee! Even more amazing this is in 6 months of ownership on a system that was rated to put out 13.5 megawatts a year. I suspect we'll get close to 18 mW. Congrats on this Milestone! Isn't it great being energy independent? I assume you've got some Tesla cars charging off all this sunshine?
Screenshot_20200711-093430_Tesla.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
Unless the sun goes supernova or something I think you’re a bit more than three days away from 10 MWh. You might wait to wait until this afternoon for the mathematics;)

That’s still a great amount of production though, I love seeing the numbers go up:)

You guys got me curious so I looked at my lifetime totals. Something I find somewhat interesting with this is:

1. The "lifetime" solar total in the powerwall section of the app (found where you guys are taking your screenshots from, in the energy usage part of the powerwall section) only shows "lifetime" solar since I have had the powerwall, or, solar generated since the beginning of 2020, even though I have had solar longer, and its Solar City (Tesla) solar.

2. When I swap to the "Solar" section of the app by swiping from right to left to move to that section of the tesla app, and check "lifetime" it shows solar generated since 2017, when my install was actually in february of 2016.

So, I guess I cant get my true "lifetime" number, unless I go check the solar city portal which I believe if still up. In any case the solar part of the tesla app shows a little less than 43mW. I had never looked at the total before, lol. Given what I know of my yearly average production, I think its likely closer to 53 mW.

2. When I swap to the "Solar" section of the app by swiping from right to left to move to that section of the tesla app

That’s weird. I don’t have a separate “Solar” section of the App. I only have two things that I can swipe to in my app... my car and my Solar/Powerwall (which is just one section). Perhaps it’s because my solar and powerwalls were installed at the same time and yours weren’t?

That’s weird. I don’t have a separate “Solar” section of the App. I only have two things that I can swipe to in my app... my car and my Solar/Powerwall (which is just one section). Perhaps it’s because my solar and powerwalls were installed at the same time and yours weren’t?

Not sure.. could be because I have a legacy solar city install, that was done separately? I have three sections in the app. Car, swipe right to left, Powerwalls (that also show solar production), swipe right to left, Solar only.

@BrettS are you GW1? If so are there lugs to run a sub panel from? I am pending my solar install date (waiting for utility permits) and need a sub panel in a structure that will house my battery walls and inverters. I don't want to pay to trench twice if I can just run solar install to the panel. Moreover I don't want to cause any unnecessary complications on my solar install.

I’m going to answer this in your other thread just to keep things together.

Reactions: Zer0t