Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new plug has been installed in the garage!
c18d55b58220213c0366f5d4e1b7b70a.jpg

I bought 38 ft of 6/3 with ground for 100 bucks. I had 6 feet extra just in case. The breaker box was in the basement. Bought a 50 amp breaker, various connectors and staples. With labor it cost $290

A 240V outlet that's used continuously for a few hours at a time usually requires a permit which can add a few hundred bucks. My permit fee was $399 I think. All told I paid around $1400 for my install, which included the permit fee and all parts-- with a 30-foot run of cable from the breaker box to the wall on the opposite side of the garage. My cable is not behind the drywall either.

A 240V outlet that's used continuously for a few hours at a time usually requires a permit which can add a few hundred bucks. My permit fee was $399 I think. All told I paid around $1400 for my install, which included the permit fee and all parts-- with a 30-foot run of cable from the breaker box to the wall on the opposite side of the garage. My cable is not behind the drywall either.

As I've been told I'm one of the forum's handful of self-appointed NEC police, I'll point out that if you're using 6/3 NM (Romex) cable and it is not protected from physical damage (as in, surface mounted on the wall in a garage or an unfinished basement) then this could be an NEC violation. I've not yet encountered an inspector who would consider NM cable on a garage wall protected from physical damage.

NEC 334.15 Exposed Work. In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).
(A) To Follow Surface. Cable shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or of running boards.
(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC markedwith the suffix -XW, or other approved means. *snip*
(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of the nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than 6 mm (1⁄4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or tubing.

As I've been told I'm one of the forum's handful of self-appointed NEC police, I'll point out that if you're using 6/3 NM (Romex) cable and it is not protected from physical damage (as in, surface mounted on the wall in a garage or an unfinished basement) then this could be an NEC violation. I've not yet encountered an inspector who would consider NM cable on a garage wall protected from physical damage.

My inspector didn't blink at this installation.

vjEF9NR.jpg

I'm such a noob and and posted in a different thread about my 70D reservation. I'll repost it here since this seems to be a better thread to collect this stuff.

Me said:
Ordered and confirmed a 70D on April 14th. Ordered it at a location in Georgia right after the government got rid of the 150 limit on "direct sales". Got my VIN on the 15th (847XX) but according to the guy I'm working with at the showroom it's not slated to enter production until May 11th, and my estimated delivery date is June 12th. Kinda wish I was still in the Late May boat but I'm guessing since my 70D isn't loaded, it didn't get priority to go into production on May 4th.

It's pretty much a stock 70D. I only added Autopilot, the Pano Roof, and Titanium Metallic paint.

Excited to join the cult, though! Trading up from a 2004 Mustang Convertible so it's definitely a change.

70D changed from a 60 on 4/8 and confirmed that day. Vin # on 4/9. In production queue within a day or two. Being built as of 4/28. WOO HOO!!
Does anyone know how long it is taking from being built to final? I am in So Cal so delivery is probably not more than a couple of days if that.

70D changed from a 60 on 4/8 and confirmed that day. Vin # on 4/9. In production queue within a day or two. Being built as of 4/28. WOO HOO!!
Does anyone know how long it is taking from being built to final? I am in So Cal so delivery is probably not more than a couple of days if that.

Wow I confirmed three days after you. I hope mine goes into production that quickly

Wow! I have a 70D on order. Still in queue. Delivery "May."

Did your DS tell you you would be in production already? Or is this ahead of schedule?