Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the end, it's all about what we are individually looking for from the car.

I'm coming from a Volt as my daily driver, so the 70D will be great. I'd love to have the acceleration and added range of the 85D, but it would be a splurge for me for my commute--which is through heinous traffic anyway.

Bases on forum member tests the 85D is closer to 4 seconds than 4.4 seconds. The difference in that is quite substantial as that is Mercedes AMG or BMW M level performance as opposed to the typical E class or 5 series performance you'd get with the 70D. The 70D is not slow and it is certainly a fast car but the acceleration is nothing special compared to others cars in that price segment. If you are coming from a lower powered car the 70D is likely going to feel a lot faster but if you were already driving a higher trim German car with a V8 the 70D performance is not going to be that impressive.

I was underwhelmed by the acceleration of the 70D compared to what I am sued to but was completely satisfied with the acceleration of the 85D. I consider the extra $10K worth it for the acceleration but IMHO the 85D needs a larger battery to better justify the $10K price difference.

Best analogy I've seen thus far.

Bases on forum member tests the 85D is closer to 4 seconds than 4.4 seconds. The difference in that is quite substantial as that is Mercedes AMG or BMW M level performance as opposed to the typical E class or 5 series performance you'd get with the 70D. The 70D is not slow and it is certainly a fast car but the acceleration is nothing special compared to others cars in that price segment. If you are coming from a lower powered car the 70D is likely going to feel a lot faster but if you were already driving a higher trim German car with a V8 the 70D performance is not going to be that impressive.

I was underwhelmed by the acceleration of the 70D compared to what I am sued to but was completely satisfied with the acceleration of the 85D. I consider the extra $10K worth it for the acceleration but IMHO the 85D needs a larger battery to better justify the $10K price difference.

MsElectric, if you keep that up, I'm getting an 85D with less options! :)

Damn, this is a hard decision. I've got to give up the air suspension for the 85D. I've read all the posts about coils vs. air. Bottom line is that I've got to drive them. I've scheduled a test drive in a 70D with coils and a P85D with Air. I wish they had an 85D with air though . . .

In the end, it's all about what we are individually looking for from the car.

I'm coming from a Volt as my daily driver, so the 70D will be great. I'd love to have the acceleration and added range of the 85D, but it would be a splurge for me for my commute--which is through heinous traffic anyway.

I am in the same boat, coming from a Volt as my daily driver and mainly wanting my commute improved. I'm pretty sure the 70D is just the medicine I am needing for Dallas' annoying Central Expressway. In addition to being nearly a different universe from my Volt, the 70D is a very respectable replacement for a lot of upper Bimmer models that are just south of M. Prior to my Volt I drove a 540i and this car has the same acceleration and sporty ride that car had.

MsElectric, if you keep that up, I'm getting an 85D with less options! :)

Damn, this is a hard decision. I've got to give up the air suspension for the 85D. I've read all the posts about coils vs. air. Bottom line is that I've got to drive them. I've scheduled a test drive in a 70D with coils and a P85D with Air. I wish they had an 85D with air though . . .

Let us know your thoughts afterwards.

Absent Chris coming back after the test drive and definitively saying he is getting a 70D, I think he will end up with a 85 or 85D. For me, the 70D would have been fine, but I wouldn't want to hear myself nagging over the next decade why I didn't splurge and get the options I really wanted and second guess my decision all this time. But alas, I'm also the person who considered a M37, 5 series (non-M), GS (non-F sport), and E class to be worlds ahead and unbelievable performing over my 4L V6 4WD Toyota 4Runner.

I am in the same boat, coming from a Volt as my daily driver and mainly wanting my commute improved. I'm pretty sure the 70D is just the medicine I am needing for Dallas' annoying Central Expressway. In addition to being nearly a different universe from my Volt, the 70D is a very respectable replacement for a lot of upper Bimmer models that are just south of M. Prior to my Volt I drove a 540i and this car has the same acceleration and sporty ride that car had.

This is EXACTLY my situation. I really like my Volt as a daily driver and was waiting on Tesla to add AWD before switching to Tesla. And, lo and behold, the battery pack get increased AND they add AWD and Autopilot!

The 70D is perfect for my daily grind of a commute on the Eisenhower "express"way especially with Autopilot enabled (if it works in stop and go traffic).

I'll still have my fun ICE car for the weekends. :wink:

One thing I like about 70D, and any other Model S build in production right now, is the company behind it is building a factory that will enable me to put a huge battery in it within a decade. Think of it, taking an 85D or 70D and upping them to "105D" batteries in the future. That's the promise of owning even an S60, and a smart revenue stream for Tesla, in the future.

...but I wouldn't want to hear myself nagging over the next decade why I didn't splurge and get the options I really wanted and second guess my decision all this time...
that is crisp, succinct and precisely why I ended out buying a P85D. I used insane mode a handful of times but otherwise drive it quite conservatively. Were I rational I'd not have bought a Tesla in the first place. However a 70D would have been perfectly fine and I know it. Either way I think it is hard not to love these cars.

One thing I like about 70D, and any other Model S build in production right now, is the company behind it is building a factory that will enable me to put a huge battery in it within a decade. Think of it, taking an 85D or 70D and upping them to "105D" batteries in the future. That's the promise of owning even an S60, and a smart revenue stream for Tesla, in the future.

1. Structurally the battery arrangement is the same. 70d just has duds instead of real cells - so if ever there is a battery swap possibility, the 70d has equal probability of receiving an upgrade as an 85d, as long as you are willing to pay.
2. The S60 owners have asked if batteries are upgradeable to 85 and Tesla has told them nope! On the other hand, S40's are upgradable to S60.
3. A decade, who the hell knows what the world will be like then, but two things are for sure
i) The computers and sensors in today's Model S will pretty much be so outdated, you'll probably not worry about battery.
ii) I'll still be sexy

There was a case i know of for sure where tesla swapped the 60kwh battery for an 85kwh. It can be done and is being done. However i think it was because the owner had a defective 60kwh battery and said he would pay the difference for the 85kwh battery.

Also going on pass history where the roadster will be able to upgrade to new batteries, i would suspect the 70D be easily upgradeable.

Upgradable battery is the main reason why i will get the 70D now and upgrade later. My take on it is tesla will very soon announce a new higher capacity version of the model s when the model x comes out. This is the only way tesla can keep sucking money out of its current customer. Then it will sell the used 85D as cpo for high margins.

I'm not so sure I would agree with all of that.

The ELR is the best looking EV on the market - hands down. However, for twice the cost of the Volt and almost the exact drivetrain as the Volt, it certainly isn't worth twice the cost.

Having said that, I need a backseat for my son's growing legs. MS is the next logical step for someone who has been driving a Volt for 4 years now.

I'd love to see the 0-30 times for the 70D and the Volt. I'd be willing to bet they are comparable.
Sorry No hands down here. I think the Model S is the Hands down best looking. It's all a matter of opinion.

1. Structurally the battery arrangement is the same. 70d just has duds instead of real cells - so if ever there is a battery swap possibility, the 70d has equal probability of receiving an upgrade as an 85d, as long as you are willing to pay.
2. The S60 owners have asked if batteries are upgradeable to 85 and Tesla has told them nope! On the other hand, S40's are upgradable to S60.
3. A decade, who the hell knows what the world will be like then, but two things are for sure
i) The computers and sensors in today's Model S will pretty much be so outdated, you'll probably not worry about battery.
ii) I'll still be sexy

I definitely believe Autopilot sensors & on-board computers will be outdated relatively quickly (automation is fast-moving), but batteries could be a real profit-stream for Tesla to keep compatibility of the "Gen 1 Model S body style" battery packs compatible for at least one upgrade-cycle. Such a move requires Tesla to keep modern battery packs swap/backwards-compatible with older Model S on-board battery mgmt systems, as battery chemistry changes. At least for a few years -- if so, they all but guarantee each Model S vehicle can be a "two decade car" passing through a few owners. Car-lifespan gives Tesla some decent bragging rights over other manufacturers, but it's really up to Tesla and if it's worth the cost to keep compatibility. By the time two decades pass Model S iterations will be well on to new frame/body style and be far cheaper (and may even go by a new name), so it won't be feasible to keep future packs backward-compatible. So they only need to maintain the backwards swap compatibility for a few years.

Still, they guarantee a lot of brand-loyalty if offering this to some Model S owners who experience the typical battery pack degradation a decade later. But it's still early days. I'm just excited to have a 70D, I don't care if can't get 270 miles after a single charge - it just seems perfect for my needs. lol

Last edited:
Wow the first signs of ANY negative commentary on the 70D have emerged... in of all places the "we're waiting for our new rides" thread lol

I am certainly preparing to tell people it's NOT the P85D model... and expecting to hear "where's the INSANE mode button" over and over.

For me, the 70D is all I need and it helps make this the most shockingly frugal choice I've ever made :scared:

Wow the first signs of ANY negative commentary on the 70D have emerged... in of all places the "we're waiting for our new rides" thread lol

I am certainly preparing to tell people it's NOT the P85D model... and expecting to hear "where's the INSANE mode button" over and over.

For me, the 70D is all I need and it helps make this the most shockingly frugal choice I've ever made :scared:

70D is getting great reviews it seems, the AWD and performance are well regarded, and I also think the rest of the positives we are hearing because at this point the build quality of exterior and interior has greatly improved since the first 2012/2013 reviews that were out.

I ordered a 70D also, can't wait for it to finally build! I wouldn't consider a 90K+ car though "frugal" still these days for 95%+ of the population ;-) Enjoy!

It is interesting to see the justifications that people use for deciding on one variant or the other.

In a lot of ways you can see the psychology of marketing of various levels working it's magic. Where people find all sorts of ways of convincing themselves of whatever the right choice is. When the reality is 90% of the time you're not even in the car, and when you are you're probably stuck behind a Prius.

I can't tell someone which model is right for them. Chances are their subconscious has already made the decision, and they're just looking for ways to justify it to their conscious selves.

I argued with myself constantly between the 60, 85, and P85 then it became an argument between the 60, 85D, and P85D. I eventually went with the 60 because I felt like Tesla was moving so crazy fast that anything I got would be obsolete before it even arrived. Ironically (or maybe not so ironic) a couple weeks after I ordered Tesla came out with the 70D so I switched over to that. It solved most of my reservations about the 60. I get to have the all-wheel drive which is important in the rainy pacific northwest, and it gives me a bit more range. Most importantly it didn't really cost anymore (base was more expensive, but the options I got were cheaper). About the only thing I lost out on was the rear next-gen seats. The 60 I ordered had them, but the 70D only had the front ones. Oh, well. it saved me $1000, and they still don't allow driving from the back seat so I see no problems with it.

For myself I've always known the Tesla MS wasn't the exact car I wanted. Simply put its way too big for me so it's mostly a 3-4 year thing so I can get my Tesla fix. There are a lot of intangibles about the Tesla that's hard to put down. It's not just a car company, or a car. It's the whole car then solar panels, and then a ticket to space? Or something like that. Maybe my subconscious just loved the idea of contributing to a vision for the future. Or maybe I just wanted to roam without feeling guilt.

Whatever the case might be Tesla changed the entire game without really even having that reliable of a car. Absolutely not a single issue I've been concerned about for the last 2 years has been solved by Tesla. They still have 12V battery issues, and they still have inverter whines/failures. It's impossible to gauge percentages, but we still have cases of people stuck without a working car. Something that hasn't happened to me EVER. Sure I've had hoses break, and O2 Sensors fail. You just duck tape the hose, and you can limp along with the bad sensor till you replace it.

I ordered the Tesla despite all the threads on here about reliability issues, and I'm absolutely not someone that falls in love with a manufacture. I strongly believe in pushing a manufacture to build the best widget it can, and imposing as much pressure as I singlehandly can on them. In fact they should have gone Soap Nazi on me, and not allowed me to order it. Of course I don't believe in lawsuits, the media, or any of that. I simply believe in pushing engineers to do what they get paid to do.

Maybe I got it because cars these days are kinda boring they're so good. If you really think about it, it's amazing how well cars are these days. Most of the complaints you see on Consumer reports are really about the Media electronics and interfaces than the car itself. Even Jaguar manages to produce a reasonably reliable car. I almost got it (the Jaguar F-Type), but the Tesla messed up that idea.

That's what it really comes down to.

There were a lot of great cars I looked at, but everything felt like it was the old world. I also ended up ordering just before the really awesome hybrids came on board. The Volt is a cool hybrid, but it's not awesome in the sense a BMW I8 is or an Acura NSX.

I absolutely fell in love with the 2015 Ferrari California T, but it would have required pulling way too much money from investments. I just couldn't pull the trigger.

In a lot of ways I was divided between the best of the old world, and the best of the new world.

I was forced to make a decision because of the pending sales tax exception ending that's really what pushed me to order a couple months ago.

So now I'm one week away from the delivery of a 70D which is a pretty amazing feat because I've never in my life managed to wait for a car, and I've been anxiously checking this thread for those of you getting yours before I get mine.