Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we're really getting the full story of what happened to the cars of a build date on or around 5/5.

How in the world did all these cars somehow end up getting delayed for so long? Mine is still in production.

There is at least a few of us here along with a few from the other Tesla forum.

The excuses I got from my DS slowly escalated from "it's normal to take a little longer", to "it's stuck in QC for some reason, but don't be alarmed"

But, none of that was good enough for me. It didn't tell me what was wrong, or why so many were involved.

Something happened that was abnormal, and I wasn't having any of their excuses.

Finally my DS was able to get some information from the factory. According to him the cars were stuck waiting for inspection because they used some new kind of Noise insulation foam. He said something along the lines of Beta Foam, or Zeta foam or something like they. My DS can't seem to just email me. He probably knows I hate talking on the phone.

Now I don't know the full story. I don't know if it's better or worse, or anything. I don't know if it's meant as an enhancement, or if there was some supply constraint and they switched over to a secondary source.

I do know Tesla is known for making changes abruptly, and using people's cars as beta testers.

So maybe it goes with the territory.

May DS also called about this rather than email. Clearly not wanting a paper trail, for whatever reason.

So, today, this finally happened...I can now graduate from the Ordering forum and into the other Model S forums!!

I feel slightly bad, because mine was also a 5/5 production car, but it sounds fine and came in fine. I hope you guys get your rides soon - I know how agonizing the wait is!

IMG_2775.JPG

So, today, this finally happened...I can now graduate from the Ordering forum and into the other Model S forums!!

I feel slightly bad, because mine was also a 5/5 production car, but it sounds fine and came in fine. I hope you guys get your rides soon - I know how agonizing the wait is!
Don't feel bad - we'll all be there with you soon enough. I like the color - I would call it gold, but whatever its called it fits the car very well.

My car is finally in transit.

So at least that nightmarish experience is over. It wasn't a nightmare so much because of the delay, but the lack of transparency from Tesla. I don't fault my DS, I think he was put in a bad spot trying to deal with a customer that wasn't buying his excuses and the factory that wouldn't tell him exactly what going on.

Can't wait to give this car a thorough inspection when it gets here in a week or so. I don't have an estimate, but it only has to come up to Seattle.

My order seems to be finally out of the incommunicado, too (aka insulation supplier black hole) - the mytesla dashboard status changed from in production to "being prepared for pickup or delivery". As soon as I saw this (how nice of Tesla, I didn't get an email update on this after three weeks 'in production'), my DS replied to my jumped-gun email, saying it needs to pass ANOTHER final inspection and detailing - WHAT?

'Detailing' sounds like those car dealers on the street - is this a standard term for Teslanians? I really hope that my DS isn't trying to hold my horses to ease off the many delayed recent deliveries asking where their cars are.. after being in the dark for a few weeks, this is driving me nuts. I'm afraid I'm kinda jaded before even owning the car on this whole Tesla user experience - hopefully I will wipe off this dark memories with some grins later.

Can anybody confirm there is another status after the "is being prepared for pickup or delivery" message? My DS told me to patiently wait for that message to appear. Being how narrow the delivery window seems to be at the factory (they don't seem to like deliveries on weekdays), I might have to wait for my late child to arrive for one more week...grrrr.

Picked up my new 70d this afternoon, really annoying that Seattle area deliveries are all downtown now, spent 2.5 hours in traffic getting there/back.

not a great picture, but new Tesla with soon to be sold Tesla. (totally would have got Brown again if it was still an option)

Teslas.jpg

You guys are awesome. This decision about Tesla would be so much harder if it wasn't for this forum.
Imagine the people who put down 40,000 for signatures without all this guidance.

70D owners, could you please care to comment on this -
- What WH/mi are you getting in your car, and
- What is your driving style (avg. speed/lead foot or not/hilly driving or not)

.. trying to get an idea of real world range :) Thanks!

70D owners, could you please care to comment on this -
- What WH/mi are you getting in your car, and
- What is your driving style (avg. speed/lead foot or not/hilly driving or not)

.. trying to get an idea of real world range :) Thanks!

I probably shouldn't be replying yet because I've only had it two days so I'm still enjoying it and that skews the numbers. (While not anywhere near as powerful as what you see on YouTube, launching a 70D is still a lot of fun and gives quite the jolt!!!)

BUT, I'm averaging about 320-325 WH/mi on suburban streets, but I was able to get 280 WH/mi going downtown during Friday rush hour traffic. I enabled TACC on the highway coming home and that helped. My area (Atlanta) is extremely hilly and curvy so that messes with things.

It charges to 215 on a 90% charge, and when I went about 60 miles yesterday, I had 145 left, which is a loss of 70 miles.

Your mileage may vary.

I probably shouldn't be replying yet because I've only had it two days so I'm still enjoying it and that skews the numbers. (While not anywhere near as powerful as what you see on YouTube, launching a 70D is still a lot of fun and gives quite the jolt!!!)

BUT, I'm averaging about 320-325 WH/mi on suburban streets, but I was able to get 280 WH/mi going downtown during Friday rush hour traffic. I enabled TACC on the highway coming home and that helped. My area (Atlanta) is extremely hilly and curvy so that messes with things.

It charges to 215 on a 90% charge, and when I went about 60 miles yesterday, I had 145 left, which is a loss of 70 miles.

Your mileage may vary.

I am falling into these numbers as well, however..... I am jealous of all of you getting the nice round number of 215 at 90%. Me? 214! Humpf.