Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called mine Tess too! Hahaha!
Just picked up Tess.

One word. amazing!

Coming from owning a Lexus GS 350 and driven Mercedes E350 and S430, the driving is more enjoyable in the MS. The acceleration is par none. Smooth, fast, instant. The regenerative braking is something getting used to as I haven't own or driven a hybrid or any cars with it yet.

interior design taken out of Apple's playbook. Simplicity. Good or bad, argument could go on forever for another day. The leather details with next gen seating and blend between leather and Alcantara is nicely done. I like the dashboard having it. It minimize sliding of things like toll road responder.

The lack of rear cup holders, the levers at the door overhead to assist entering is missing, no hangers, minimal leather due to the whole Alcantar approach, etc...

the odd placement of cup holders in the front was weirdly placed. It gets in the way of the arm rest. The huge center space was odd, for I am used to resting my hand on the knob shift.

The sound system lack bass. At max bass setting it was decent and usable, not horrible.

The 17" screen. Amazing. The dashboard that show navigation is nicely placed.

Panoroof of cool to have. It gives that nice class touches.

Getting it it tinted right now with ctx rear 15 and ctx 30 front.

More to come...having issue uploading pictures via iPhone using browser

I'm supercharging at my desk
87b727d669464479c4a51108f9bdffd5.jpg

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd give an update on my 70D delivery. Here are the timelines of my order for those interested:
Store order: 05-May-2015
Confirmed order: 13-May-2015
Build start: 29-May-2015
Build end: 04-Jun-2015
In Transit: 04-Jun-2015
Delivery: 26-Jun-2015

I ordered the following: 70D - Pano roof - Deep Blue Metallic - Grey Next Gen Seats - Piano Black - Black Alcantara - Autopilot - Premium Interior and Lighting - Smart Air Suspension - UHFS -LTE.

I have yet to decide if I want dual chargers. In Quebec, there are very few chargers above 40A. And, actually, most are 30A only which is a shame. There seem to be a lot of CHadeMo on the north shore and only one Supercharger in Drummondville, on the way to Quebec city from Montreal. Apparently, more are coming. If you want to head there via the north shore, you are out of luck for Supercharging. Need to rely on ChadeMo (and get the adaptor which I don't yet have).

I've had a couple of problems with it so far. When leaving my garage (where LTE doesn't reach), the LTE didn't make it back on. Tesla tech support told me to do a reset of the main panel which fixed the issue. Had to do it a couple of times until I was told to keep the car off "Always connected" and "Always on". The next issue happened on a heavy rain day last week. Water came in from above the rearview mirror, in the meshing there, and behind the glove box. I'm bringing it in to the shop on Wednesday.

I've supercharged twice and took pictures every minute. I'll post the data soon so people have a graph of what supercharging will give the 70D depending on battery charge.

Had a "scare" as I pulled in to the Supercharger at 24 km range. I've since then calmed down a lot and have gained in confidence about charge. It's amazing what moderating your right foot does to the range!

Essentially, this is the very best car I have ever owned and would not go back.

Here is a picture of Elektra. She is a beauty for sure, at least to my taste.
IMG_1821.JPG

Well, that's it for my story so far. I will post in other threads the other stories I will live with this amazing car.

Bye for now.

Bertrand

Great pics kushari, great angles, makes me want to take the same pics of mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Kushari: 2 questions for you: How did you get that purple color? it looks awesome and very original, and what is that cleaning product you use?
I dipped it. It's a plastic paint that's removable (plasti dip). Go to dipyourcar.com to find someone in your area that's authorized. You can do crazy things with plasti dip, and when you get bored of it, you just find a corner and peel it off. Also it protects the original paint.

The cleaning product for the plasti dip is a spray wax, they have it on dipyourcar.com.

Supercharging the 70D

Hello everyone,

As promised, I have taken data down when supercharging my 70D. I have supercharged her 4 times so far. The attached graphics are from 3 supercharging sessions. There were 2 in Drummondville on Supercharger 1A and 1 at the Ferrier Street Tesla Store on 1B (as per Kushari's suggestion). For that last supercharging session, there was another Tesla charging next to me on 1A. This may explain the less that linear graph for a section of the data. I took pictures of my screen every minute (I missed a few but very little, gaps in the first few graphs). That is the first series of 3 graphs. Then, I combined the data in a less than rigorous scientific fashion. The curves are pretty linear regardless of the supercharging session therefore I used the percentage of battery as the common point to merge the data together.
Drummondville 1.png
Drummondville 2.png
Ferrier 1.png

Now the merged data:
Supercharging 70D.png

This last graph shows the additional data that I put in the merged graph. The data points don't align as I'm no Excel expert. What I did was to include the overlapping data points for X axis 31 and further i.e. battery percentage of 61% to 89%. If you transpose visually to x-axis 31 or battery % 61%, you will see that the data is superposable.
Supercharging 70D Plus Additonnal Data.png

So, essentially, it seems that you get the same performance for supercharging based on your battery percentage. I used only percentages and kW for these graphs but will be doing the same exercise again for km/hr recharge. I just couldn't figure out the formula to transfer the kW into km/hr recharge. It was late last night. Anyone welcome to contribute.

Hopefully this is useful to you.

Regards,

Berty.

I dipped it. It's a plastic paint that's removable (plasti dip). Go to dipyourcar.com to find someone in your area that's authorized. You can do crazy things with plasti dip, and when you get bored of it, you just find a corner and peel it off. Also it protects the original paint.

The cleaning product for the plasti dip is a spray wax, they have it on dipyourcar.com.

Great. Thanks for the info.

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd give an update on my 70D delivery. Here are the timelines of my order for those interested:
Store order: 05-May-2015
Confirmed order: 13-May-2015
Build start: 29-May-2015
Build end: 04-Jun-2015
In Transit: 04-Jun-2015
Delivery: 26-Jun-2015

I ordered the following: 70D - Pano roof - Deep Blue Metallic - Grey Next Gen Seats - Piano Black - Black Alcantara - Autopilot - Premium Interior and Lighting - Smart Air Suspension - UHFS -LTE.

I have yet to decide if I want dual chargers. In Quebec, there are very few chargers above 40A. And, actually, most are 30A only which is a shame. There seem to be a lot of CHadeMo on the north shore and only one Supercharger in Drummondville, on the way to Quebec city from Montreal. Apparently, more are coming. If you want to head there via the north shore, you are out of luck for Supercharging. Need to rely on ChadeMo (and get the adaptor which I don't yet have).

I've had a couple of problems with it so far. When leaving my garage (where LTE doesn't reach), the LTE didn't make it back on. Tesla tech support told me to do a reset of the main panel which fixed the issue. Had to do it a couple of times until I was told to keep the car off "Always connected" and "Always on". The next issue happened on a heavy rain day last week. Water came in from above the rearview mirror, in the meshing there, and behind the glove box. I'm bringing it in to the shop on Wednesday.

I've supercharged twice and took pictures every minute. I'll post the data soon so people have a graph of what supercharging will give the 70D depending on battery charge.

Had a "scare" as I pulled in to the Supercharger at 24 km range. I've since then calmed down a lot and have gained in confidence about charge. It's amazing what moderating your right foot does to the range!

Essentially, this is the very best car I have ever owned and would not go back.

Here is a picture of Elektra. She is a beauty for sure, at least to my taste.
View attachment 87007

Well, that's it for my story so far. I will post in other threads the other stories I will live with this amazing car.

Bye for now.

Bertrand
I met Berty at the Montreal showroom. What a small Tesla World. He knew who I was haha!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
I saw your car on Saturday at the Montreal store and I loved it. Very nice job done on it. It was great to meet you in person also Kushari.
Hope your return trip was uneventful.
Have a great day.
Thanks Berty! You were more than awesome. I felt very welcomed! I used to live in Montreal by the way.

Hi Kratus,

Thanks for the formula. I've tried it but it doesn't seem to work when I work with the data I have. If I understand correctly, I need to know the rated Wh/km from my car at the beginning of the charge. If I estimate it (or use the average of 200 Wh/km - which is close to my current reality), I don't get the same number after calculation. Here are some data:
MinuteskW+kWhAmpsVolts%Rated Rangereal km/hrkmCalculated km/hr

So, as you can see, it is not lining up when using 156 Wh/km for the first value (real km/hr), the rest don't line up...

Any help would be appreciated. The issue I have is that the very first supercharging I did I took the non percentage values and it would be great to have the % values as I started at 24 km range...

Thanks for your help.

Berty

Hmm, I think the difficulty here is to guess the rated Wh/km, which is probably fluctuating. But I find the results are not so bad.
Why did you only get 50 kW? Was there another car charging on the paired stall?
There is something wrong with the Montreal super chargers. Firstly there are only two. So they are in parallel. Secondly the one Berty was on when I was there, I know to be very slow. I reported it to the staff. Even when there wasn't another car there it was charging at under 100 amps. The other charger that actually charges faster I had issues with stopping a charge 5 minutes after it started. The service guy unplugged it and plugged it back in and then it eventually worked. They need to get way more chargers in Montreal.

There is something wrong with the Montreal super chargers. Firstly there are only two. So they are in parallel. Secondly the one Berty was on when I was there, I know to be very slow. I reported it to the staff. Even when there wasn't another car there it was charging at under 100 amps. The other charger that actually charges faster I had issues with stopping a charge 5 minutes after it started. The service guy unplugged it and plugged it back in and then it eventually worked. They need to get way more chargers in Montreal.

Did you pick up a CHAdeMO cable as well? It can help in other areas on the Sun Country Highway.

Sun Country Highway Announces Partnership with ABB

Hi Kratus,

As Kushari says, the chargers in Montreal seem to be in need of a checkup. There was a car next to me and that had some influence on the Amps I was getting as you can see from the graph. However, the other Supercharger used, Drummondville, gave me similar results with regards to the kW. So, I don't think it was really the fact that there was another car there but because of the % charge that my battery was at. If am able to figure out how to use the formula you gave me, I'll have data starting at 5% charge. This shows much higher kW that tapers down as the %battery increases.

Haven't gotten the CHAdeMO yet. Still thinking about it.

Thanks again.

Berty