Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 85kwh replacement packs only 12-17K$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope this isn't a redundant post but I just called my Scottsdale service center and got that price over the phone. That's parts AND labor. That's good news for us older model S owners. Mine is a 2012 #1682 with 70K miles.

12K works out to be 140$/kwh. Pretty good news IMO.

Interesting. Is Tesla even making 85 kWh batteries anymore? I thought they were making only 75 and 100's with new cells.

Hope this isn't a redundant post but I just called my Scottsdale service center and got that price over the phone. That's parts AND labor. That's good news for us older model S owners. Mine is a 2012 #1682 with 70K miles.

12K works out to be 140$/kwh. Pretty good news IMO.
Do you have anything official regarding this? I thought that Tesla wouldn't consider upgrading the battery in older vehicles since it wasn't profitable for them to do so at this time?

Interesting. Is Tesla even making 85 kWh batteries anymore? I thought they were making only 75 and 100's with new cells.

Yes 85 kwh.He said they were Panasonic cells and it's a Tesla part. He thought it would have the 8 yr warranty but wasn't sure. Also he said they used to be 50K$.

To get an exact price he needed to send out for a quote.

I don't need a pack now but I'm just looking for options as Tesla gave me a trade in value on my 2012 S85 (loaded) of 27K$. Ouch.

...new cells.

Model S and X are still using older cell format 18650 and there's no indication that it will change any time soon in future.

Model 3, on the other hand, is using new cell format 2170.

...Is Tesla even making 85 kWh batteries anymore?...

I assume they must have rebuilt 85 kWh packs in case they need to replace one.

Last edited:
Yes 85 kwh.He said they were Panasonic cells and it's a Tesla part. He thought it would have the 8 yr warranty but wasn't sure. Also he said they used to be 50K$.

To get an exact price he needed to send out for a quote.

I don't need a pack now but I'm just looking for options as Tesla gave me a trade in value on my 2012 S85 (loaded) of 27K$. Ouch.
How many miles on the battery?

Is this a new or a refurbished battery?

Usually, Tesla would quote you a refurbished one such as for your 17" screen, onboard charger...

And you have to let Tesla keep the old one so it can refurbish it for next owner.

If you want a brand new one, it's another separate higher quote.

And if you want to keep the old one, it's another separate higher quote on top of that.