Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla AP 2.0 Self Driving video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no need to squint, even with my poor eyesight. But don't look at the tail lights. Look at the center of the toy car and the red bar that lights up right across it. It's very noticeable.
Noticeable for people with normal color vision, not noticeable for the over 5% of the male population that has red/green color blindness.
The car is detecting the right turn of the street and the lady on the left. On a two dimensional view the object is recognized as in path and therefore blocking the road so the car has to stop
Good point. The car did the right thing based on its current level of ability. I certainly don't want it crossing over a double yellow line unless it is an emergency situation to avoid an impact. The car came to a near complete stop but it can also monitor its rear view and move forward if there is a vehicle rapidly approaching form the rear. In this case there apparently was not.

The solution is better high resolution mapping of the road surface so that the car knows in advance that the road ahead is curving and there is an upcoming intersection with the stop sign so it doesn't have to brake for that yet it only needs to monitor the pedestrians to make sure they say off the road surface. They were very close to the edge of the road and I would expect the car would be cautious.
For me in that situation, I would slow down a bit and (illegally) pass the double yellow line a few feet to keep some distant from the joggers.
As would I.

In PA you are required to give pedestrians and bicyclist 4'. Which means crossing the double yellow. You are required to wait until it is safe to do so. Same as dealing with farm equipment.

In that scenario (joggers) the car did exactly what our law requires. Slowed until it could determine it was safe to cross the double yellow to go around them.

That situation I thought was handled much better than some of the others I saw in the video.

Reactions: bradbrok

It's pretty obvious what is the problem with the stop next to the two jogging ladies.
The car is detecting the right turn of the street and the lady on the left. On a two dimensional view the object is recognized as in path and therefore blocking the road so the car has to stop.
I wonder how they are gona work on this problem. You see their system is still human trained on a two dimensional basis. It is just detecting the street and then an object on it, so the car has to stop. A human driver with two eyes has the advantage of a three dimensional view. The AP 2.0 or at least the AP 3.0 may solve this problem. The next task a human is doing is to look at the feets of the ladies and recognize that they are jogging on the sidewalk and the street is turning right in front / behind of them...

...would love to work on this problem!

With you there! There are two things that it doesnt seem to be doing: path prediction of the items it recognises; and determination of intention.

The first one may be happening but just not visible; the second will need a far more powerful AI which can judge intention by reading body language (human and animal!)

I think your expectations are unlikely to be met for another decade or more...

lol, not an expectation at all. It's pretty amazing that it recognised the joggers in the first place. Until the system is able to tell the difference between a guy about to cross the road vs one hailing a cab, we are going to have to get used to more and more cars taking an ultra-cautious approach around town.

Noticeable for people with normal color vision, not noticeable for the over 5% of the male population that has red/green color blindness.
I'm reading between the lines and making the assumption you are one of those >5%s. So....¿Can't you distinguish a brighter versus a dimmer red light? Easily? I would think color blindness would not factor in this discernment.

I'm reading between the lines and making the assumption you are one of those >5%s. So....¿Can't you distinguish a brighter versus a dimmer red light? Easily? I would think color blindness would not factor in this discernment.

I could see the 3rd brake light on the IC model car when I was driving a white demo. Could not see it in the midnight gray demo. I'm very color blind.

The red lights on the "toy car" in the drivers display are difficult for me to see whether the brake lights are on or off.

But we are diverging from the topic...

My guess is that Tesla is going to release FSC in California in a year or two but that doesn't mean it will work on every road in California. It will be up to the regulators as to whether to allow its use or not.

The red lights on the "toy car" in the drivers display are difficult for me to see whether the brake lights are on or off.

It's too bad they changed the battery charging display. The new one is hard to read when setting the slider and the old one clearly showed when the brake lights were on. Now the lights are gone altogether. I can't figure out why they would make a change that only makes it much worse overall.

My guess is that Tesla is going to release FSC in California in a year or two but that doesn't mean it will work on every road in California. It will be up to the regulators as to whether to allow its use or not.

I agree but only for removing the driver from the equation. I predict relatively fast approval for reading lights, stop signs, turning, etc., etc. but all with a driver in the seat and nags. I say that comes within 6 months, which is when AP2.0 will really distance itself from AP1.0.

Actually legally you can only overtake a parked vehicle, pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle. Pedestrians don't count :)

Absolutely. Pedestrians don't count as vehicles :p

As someone pointed out earlier, a human driver also uses judgement to decide how to handle an upcoming obstacle or hazard, even if that means breaking a law momentarily and this makes me wonder if we're going to end up with over-cautious self driving cars holding up long lines of traffic because they won't overtake a cyclist travelling at 11mph and other such situations.