Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla App 4.0 Widget cause phantom drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have any stats apps to tell me when the car is sleeping or not but I have sentry mode off (excluded when at home), car unplugged, pre-conditioning & cabin protection turn off. I also turned off Bluetooth on my phone so it doesn’t accidentally connect while walking around the house and haven’t opened the app but I continuously hear a low humming coming from the car like it’s still awake and it’s been about an hour or so. Only thing I can think of, with the new app release last week, I put the widget (iOS) on my homescreen. Could that be connecting to the car? It looks like it continuously updates miles/percentage left without actually clicking on and opening the widget.

Reactions: Spinkick
Delete the widget and see if it makes a difference. If not, might as well reinstall and hopefully someone here (sorry not me, my pickup date is FRIDAY!) will have an answer for the various reasons the car may be making noises

Technically it could but that would be very poor programming by Tesla. It happens to me too that the car stays awake for more than one hour sometimes. There are multiple reasons, from drying the AC core to charging the 12V etc... Leave it enough time and see if it eventually falls asleep. Obviously NEVER start the mobile app because that does wake the car up.

I have observed similar, but not quite the same behavior since 4.0 was released. Two times in a row now that I have charged the car to 60%, and it mysteriously then drains down to 58% next day without any interaction. Also the charge limit fluctuates randomly. Again have it set to 60% then it just drops to 59% randomly and goes back to 60% some time later.

Just last night charged it up to 60%, got notification it finished at 61%. Checked it this morning and it was at 58% and the car acted like it was fully charged and did not have charging scheduled. Had to manually raise the limit, start charging, and drop it back to 60%.

Not sure if this is an issue with the app or car. Didn't have the issue before 4.0 came out. But last week when it did this, driving back home I noticed it stayed at 47% SoC for the longest time and got home with around 46% SoC when my commute usually consumes 18-19% SoC so 14% consumption is a bit abnormal. Maybe it has to do with 04.21.3 than the app or the BMS is just being glitchy, but the behavior started with the app update.

have observed similar, but not quite the same behavior since 4.0 was released. Two times in a row now that I have charged the car to 60%, and it mysteriously then drains down to 58% next day without any interaction. Also the charge limit fluctuates randomly. Again have it set to 60% then it just drops to 59% randomly and goes back to 60% some time later.
This looks normal. The battery capacity changes with temperature and the ability of the battery to deliver power also changes with temperature. The battery management system has a challenge in how to represent what is presently available. It is not uncommon to see a few percent “disappear” when it’s cool and also sometimes to regain it as the car and/or ambient temperature rises. These effects are more noticeable as the seasons change. Of course the most dramatic temporary losses occur in winter.

This looks normal. The battery capacity changes with temperature and the ability of the battery to deliver power also changes with temperature. The battery management system has a challenge in how to represent what is presently available. It is not uncommon to see a few percent “disappear” when it’s cool and also sometimes to regain it as the car and/or ambient temperature rises. These effects are more noticeable as the seasons change. Of course the most dramatic temporary losses occur in winter.

Maybe. It's just weird this behavior started with the app update and 4.21.3. The climate was the same and didn't start to cool off. Also the fact the charge limit fluctuating between 59% and 60% is also new without me adjusting it. Not too concerned and I should see if other charging settings duplicate this behavior. I recently just settled at 60% as my desired SoC due to my commute not being that much and keeping the battery close to its happy point of 50% or so.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate. No matter what I do, the widget shows a last seen timer that is almost always less than one hour. I don't have to open the app to trigger it. I even turned off background app refresh and it didn't make a difference. What I don't know is if the widget causes this, or if it is the app and therefore removing the widget wouldn't matter.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate. No matter what I do, the widget shows a last seen timer that is almost always less than one hour. I don't have to open the app to trigger it. I even turned off background app refresh and it didn't make a difference. What I don't know is if the widget causes this, or if it is the app and therefore removing the widget wouldn't matter.

Just looked at mine, last seen was over 10 hours ago.... and that's usually the case when car is parked/sleeping in the garage.

(this is on an iphone, dunno if the android version has a comparable widget and if the issue is being reported there- but I don't appear to have any such issues on the apple side)