Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla APP 4.x. Released for iOS and Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It feels like the equivalent move from v8 to v9. Everything is harder to read. Controls smaller. Status values smaller, less contrast, hard to read. The solar side of the app is even worse.

Anyone have a trusted site that I can get the previous apk from?

I like a lot of things about it, - the swooping animations etc. But some things are more finicky than they should be, like trying to drag the charging slider. Also, I miss seeing the voltage at all times when charging (sometimes you see it right as it starts charging), and I do miss easy viewing of nearby Superchargers versus having to scan a map for them.

Reactions: bruce4000
I think it's improved. But that's an adjective reserved for releases that contain bug fixes and small changes to better handle certain situations. This release was billed as a 'redesign' which, in my opinion, means it's not that great and a lost opportunity to clear the deck and start fresh.

And expensive. Software development uses a term called 'technical debt' which is basically an app's entropy it accrues over time. Even if nothing changes to the app, it deteriorates due to the changing context around it. A redesign can help clear those decks too. But that doesn't always coincide with a better user experience. Sometimes, but not always.

In any case, I've never had a desire to order floor mats from within the Tesla app. Or a hoodie. To me, it's just another chunk of code that needs to be maintained. And it's not like we didn't already have a website to do the exact same thing.

I think it's improved. But that's an adjective reserved for releases that contain bug fixes and small changes to better handle certain situations. This release was billed as a 'redesign' which, in my opinion, means it's not that great and a lost opportunity to clear the deck and start fresh.

And expensive. Software development uses a term called 'technical debt' which is basically an app's entropy it accrues over time. Even if nothing changes to the app, it deteriorates due to the changing context around it. A redesign can help clear those decks too. But that doesn't always coincide with a better user experience. Sometimes, but not always.

In any case, I've never had a desire to order floor mats from within the Tesla app. Or a hoodie. To me, it's just another chunk of code that needs to be maintained. And it's not like we didn't already have a website to do the exact same thing.
Funny , first thing I did with new app is order tequila decanter. To each their own I guess.

Reactions: Marty3SR+
I side loaded on 2 phones. One I leave watching my solar and the other my car. I like the look of the solar section but my car is having a beauty rest and I won't see that side of the app until she wakes up.

I do have a question for those more in the know. In the Android app store my Tesla app still shows the July version. Will I have to side load all future updates? Sorry if that's too stupid

I side loaded on 2 phones. One I leave watching my solar and the other my car. I like the look of the solar section but my car is having a beauty rest and I won't see that side of the app until she wakes up.

I do have a question for those more in the know. In the Android app store my Tesla app still shows the July version. Will I have to side load all future updates? Sorry if that's too stupid
Good question. Since it hasn't shown up for me on the Google Play Store yet, I'm not certain. Once it is finally on the Play Store, I'll probably just uninstall the current version and APKMirror Installer and install it directly from the Play Store.

Reactions: bobby g