Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla APP 4.x. Released for iOS and Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have different logins, is that a requirement?

How are you driving her car now, or are you driving it? The model Y (and 3) can use a phone as a key. She can setup the phone as a key without you having access to the car via the tesla app, but in order to see her car in your tesla app login (and all the controls that enables), she will need to log into the tesla website and add you as an a additional driver.

I wrote a guide on how to do that, but the tesla website has changed since I wrote it and I havent taken the time to re write it.

im on iOS and the app is still 3.10 with no option to update????
Possibly the App Store hasn't pushed the update to your account.

If you are on iOS 13+ then it will eventually show up as an update.
If you want to get the update ASAP: Open App Store, search for Tesla.
The Tesla app will be in the list of found apps, but the button will say Open.
If you then select the app in the list to view its page, the button will change from Open to Update.

If you have an older iOS, the above method works but it doesn't allow install of new v4 app,
it gives option of installing the latest compatible version.

Possibly the App Store hasn't pushed the update to your account.

If you are on iOS 13+ then it will eventually show up as an update.
If you want to get the update ASAP: Open App Store, search for Tesla.
The Tesla app will be in the list of found apps, but the button will say Open.
If you then select the app in the list to view its page, the button will change from Open to Update.

If you have an older iOS, the above method works but it doesn't allow install of new v4 app,
it gives option of installing the latest compatible version.
This worked

I installed the new (version 4.0.0) iOS app yesterday. The new version for Android should be available soon also.

I've seen a few good and bad things so far.

Bad: Mileage, VIN and software version at the bottom are in too small of a font.

Bad: My model is listed incorrectly as a "P85D" without the indication that is has Ludicrous mode. Probably because they went to plain text instead of a graphical representation of the car's emblem.

Unavailable: I really would have liked to have the ability to change the charging start/departure times via the app. That's still not available in the new "4.0" version.

Good: The new animated display that shows "juice" going into the car while charging.

Good: Moving the charge limit slider to the main screen is convenient.

Good: Displaying both interior and exterior temps in the Climate screen.

Indifferent: Ordering accessories through the Tesla shop in the "Upgrades" section.

BUG: Changing the credit card on my account deleted my old credit card, therefore I couldn't switch back.

SECURITY ALERT: Controls/Start will allow the car to start without a key with no FaceID verification (iPhone X). Homelink at least gives an "Are you sure?" prompt before opening garage door but should also have FaceID verification.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This is a huge improvement so long as they haven't made any security holes.
I never update things when they come out.

let it soak in the world for a while and then see if its still safe.

again, there are often NO undo's so its a one way trip. you better be sure.

this is phone stuff, too; so there will be new security bugs in the apps and other strange things.

(I personally hate the hell out of the phone ecosystem and have zero trust in any code 'apps' people write; but I will continue to use the old app until its proven that the new one is as good or better in every single way).

the old app works ok and I'm not sure what else I'd really want from it, tbh, other than walk-up key working better.

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
Is there a way to show or toggle between miles and percent in the app on charging or is it dictated by which one you have selected in the car? (I.e. mirroring the car selection)

Ski

Doesn't appear to be, tapping the battery icon just opens the charge/max charge panel, and there's nothing in the settings.

HOWEVER ...

Just now - no idea why I even thought this would work - I invoked Siri and asked, "How much charge is left on my Telsa?" And got this response:

IMG_20107C868151-1.jpeg

Which is the correct % per the app and car. Well, that's pretty f-ing neat, I wish I could open the trunk this way.

How are you driving her car now, or are you driving it? The model Y (and 3) can use a phone as a key. She can setup the phone as a key without you having access to the car via the tesla app, but in order to see her car in your tesla app login (and all the controls that enables), she will need to log into the tesla website and add you as an a additional driver.

I wrote a guide on how to do that, but the tesla website has changed since I wrote it and I havent taken the time to re write it.

Thanks!!!